YMCA Summer Camp Counselor Interview Questions

Updated Aug 22, 2015

2.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at YMCA (Raleigh, NC).

Interview

Applied in February, HUGE group interview (70+ people) started with an ice breaker then we learned a fun and simple dance and sang along to popular songs then we split into groups and rotated to different camp directors where they each asked 1 or 2 questions. At the end of the group interview you wrote down your top 3 camp choices. If you got a second interview they called you a few days later for a one on one and then asked for references before officially giving me the job.

Interview Questions

• What was your most creative/innovative idea and how did it turn out   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for YMCA

Summer Camp Counselor Interview

Interview

They were extremely lax in the process and yet very strategic in what type of person they wanted so it was unclear when talking to the people. They had the interview in a back closet sitting among the school supplies. The interviewer didn't seem to be all there and asked rapid fire questions without seeming to listen. It seemed like she had already made up her mind upon meeting me whether or not she would be willing to hire.

Interview Questions

• What is the most challenging situation you've experienced with children and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Summer Camp Counselor Interview

Interview

Very simple, they called, I answered. The interview was over Skype. The YMCA hires a lot of people from outside the US so Skype is one of the more efficient ways of interacting. They'll mostly ask you about experience with teaching and leadership qualifications.

Summer Camp Counselor Interview

Interview

Asked about previous experience and why you chose YMCA. Gave a detailed situation that occurs and asks how you would handle it and what procedure you should take afterwards. They asked you about the history of the company and how you feel about the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at YMCA (Chicago, IL) in May 2014.

Interview

It was easy. Very open to questions. Nice supervisor . Very professional. Nice environment . It was a lot of easy questions asked . Not hard at all. I don't have anything else to say I'm just trying to reach the requirements for this box.

Interview Questions

• how long have you been working with kids? A memory from a camp you was in? A favorite person. Someone you look up to...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at YMCA (Atlanta, GA) in April 2014.

Interview

Beyond contacting them about a position and submitting a resume, there were two interviews. Both were over the phone for me, and I interviewed with the same person (my direct boss) both times. Questions were pretty much the same both times as well. Not too intense.

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest accomplishment? Why do you want to work with children? What are you going to do with a child that has behavioral issues?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at YMCA (Seattle, WA) in June 2013.

Interview

It was very casual with back and forth conversations. I was asked about past experience related to dealing with kids and how that has prepared me for the role. My interview was conducted not at the YMCA center, but a cafe across the street. I had dressed professionally and came with an extra resume on hand. I recommend bringing references with you as well, since it was asked for.

Interview Questions

• Give me a situation where you had to handle a kid that was not behaving accordingly and how did you revolve the issue?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at YMCA (Brooklyn, NY) in June 2013.

Interview

This was a group interview with two other applicants. The two applicants already worked there so I was a little intimidated by them. There were two interviewers asking random questions. I forward a cover letter and resume for this job.

Summer Camp Counselor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at YMCA.

Interview

The interview was very relaxed. It was a group interview and many scenario questions as well as personal questions were asked. Be confident and answer honestly. Don't forget to smile.

Interview Questions

• How would you settle a situation when a parent is complaining to you about the camp?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at YMCA (Brentwood, TN) in March 2013.

Interview

I had a face to face interview with the YMCA after applying online.They asked if I had experience working with children before, and if I had ever been a counselor before. The interviewer asked typical questions like why I wanted this job and what I could contribute to the organization.