YMCA

Getting the Interview

8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Kirkwood, MO

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at YMCA in May 2011.

Interview Details – Interview process included answering questions individually and in groups. i.e. What would you do in this situation?

Interview Question – Why would you be a good candidate for this position?   Answer Question

Brooklyn, NY

I applied online - interviewed at YMCA in June 2013.

Interview Details – This was a group interview with two other applicants. The two applicants already worked there so I was a little intimidated by them. There were two interviewers asking random questions. I forward a cover letter and resume for this job.

Interview Question – How would you deal with an angry parent?   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied online - interviewed at YMCA in May 2009.

Interview Details – I turned in my application, and then was called in for a group interview with a 5 person panel. It was a little intimidating at first because of the nature of a group interview, but it went very well. I think the interviewers were just trying to get a feel for your teamwork dynamic. In fact, some of the questions felt more like ice breakers than traditional interview questions. Be yourself, convey your passion for the job and don't be afraid to be quirky.

Interview Question – "What's a fun game that can be played with your campers while in line or during a waiting period?"   Answer Question

Summer Camp Counselor Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at YMCA.

Interview Details – The interview was very relaxed. It was a group interview and many scenario questions as well as personal questions were asked. Be confident and answer honestly. Don't forget to smile.

Interview Question – How would you settle a situation when a parent is complaining to you about the camp?   Answer Question

Wake Forest, NC

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at YMCA in January 2010.

Interview Details – Very personal, talked about past experiences, talked about what-if situations, talked about why I wanted to be at camp

Interview Question – Why are you a good fit for camp? What would you do if....   Answer Question

Windsor, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at YMCA in April 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted cover letter and resume. Received an email to interview. Interview consisted of a group interview with 10+ people. Needed to present a speech to the group and lead a game/camp song. Also completed other group activities where you had to act as a leader or a follower in different situations. There was no one-on-one interview.

Interview Question – How will you lead in a way that exemplifies the YMCA's core values?   Answer Question

Summer Camp Counselor

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at YMCA in August 2010.

Interview Details – Not hard at all

Interview Question – If given random items what type of game or craft would I come up with   Answer Question

Summer Camp Counselor

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at YMCA in April 2011.

Interview Details – Very straight forward interview, standard questions were asked for the most part,such as "Why do you want to work at YMCA, What are you strongest characteristics. Questions that gauged your ability to deal with different scenario's also arised such as "If you overheard teen girls talking about girls how would u respond? If you had an activity planned for outside and it rained, how would you handle it?"

Interview Question – If you had an unlimited supply of leggos, what would you build?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at YMCA

Worked for YMCA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at YMCA Summer Camp Counselor interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by YMCA employees and interview candidates.