YMCA Youth Leader I Interview Questions

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at YMCA (San Diego, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

I first applied for the position through the YMCA website. I was then contacted a few days later for an interview. They asked me to fill out 2 pages of paper work and prepare an activity and a song to share at the interview. They also told me to it was a group interview.

The day of I wore a semi-nice blouse black pants and black flats, nothing too fancy. I arrived about 10 minutes before my interview and promptly at 6 our interviewer came in and led us to a room. There he divided us into groups. Our group did the songs and activities first. I felt a bit out of place... only because my song and activity was different from the others. Theirs were more campy? If you get me. It was mostly follow after me songs. After that we divided up again and went into our group interview. The interview itself was pretty hard for me. I prepared for it but they were questions where you really had to think about it. They were mostly situational questions. At the end of the questions they asked us to write a detailed description of an activity we'd make that went along with the camp themes.

Overall I had a wonderful experience at this YMCA. I tried to be outgoing, talking and enthusiastic which I felt was all that they were looking for. Also I asked the interviewers a few questions just so I could look like I was very interested in the position, which I was. I asked "Do you see this position growing with the company".

Interview Questions

• Was there ever a policy that you didn't believe in? What did you do about it?   1 Answer
  • What makes you unique?   Answer Question
  • What do you think is appropriate discipline for children?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for YMCA

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at YMCA (San Diego, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

I just had my interview today and since the other Youth Leader 1 position is negative I thought I would put one about a positive experience. So you will get a call to have an interview and they do tell you it is a group interview, but they hire for multiple positions because it is a big organization and it's not like you are competing at all. It is very laid back and fun overall. when you get there you have to fill out a questioner like 4 out of 6 questions, and they are like have you worked with kids, what would you do in this situation..kind of questions. there are like 3 tables and 3 people interviewing, they switch off to ask different questions, the only question that was the same was what is your name? so It's obvious. In some of their interviews they make you play a game or play outside, but in my case we didn't do that so it depends I guess. after the questions you leave your papers on the desk and leave.

Interview Questions

• So Timmy comes in and he is normally a bubbly kid, but today he comes in and he doesn't really want to talk or play with anyone and doesn't want to be bothered. Then you notice he has busing on his arm, (and it is required that you have to report anything about abusing), but what would you do? This one just caught me off guard.

What would you do if a parent came to pick up their child and they were in our group but, you realized he wasn't there? It was a little difficult because there are a lot of things you could do in that situation.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at YMCA (San Diego, CA) in July 2010.

Interview

this was an unusual interview since a group of people were selected to be interviewed together. had never had this happen before. About 12 people were taken into a room where a presentation took place and then groups of 3 people were placed to be interviewed by different staff. after the staff asked questions to each person in the 3 person group, another staff came into our group to ask questions. this was too informal and it felt like you could not say everything you wanted to say. this interview took 2 hours. the staff interviewing the group said they will take questions after a presentation/group singing took place but they never got to it and instead took the rest of the time to finish up asking questions. by the way, the questions had to be repeated since after two people answered the question one would forget the original questions. this made me look like an idiot for trying to ask to repeat the question. I knew the YMCA was bad, but not this bad.

Interview Questions

• what would you do if an unruly kid went against you, or what would you do if a kid was unruly and wanted to play instead of doing homework   Answer Question

got a better offer from a better organized position