YP

Updated Dec 9, 2014
Updated Dec 9, 2014

2.8

Sales Account Executive Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at YP.

too long, boring, too much wasted time in interview process, manager leaves room and seems to forget about you. role plays is complete waste of time, single person decides to hire you. company evolved into micro-managing firm without regard to employees, cost cutting elimanted too many jobs and sent overseas.

Interview Questions
    • how to handle a customer who wants to cancel   View Answer
    took offer and gradually rose through incentive steps

Digital Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Medford, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Medford, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at YP in November 2014.

Person calls you, but it isn't the phone interview. She schedules a phone interview on a separate date. It's as far as I got. I was supposed to speak to someone regarding the position, but I was never contacted. Frankly, it's disrespectful and highly unprofessional. Steer away from working for a company like this.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't expect to not get asked questions. Because they never called when we scheduled it!   View Answer

Digital Media Consultant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at YP in November 2014.

Attended recruiting event and got to chat with current employees and a a few sales and marketing managers that would later interview me. I was notified that management was interested and wanted to set up an interview, went well and quickly was contacted to schedule for a second interview the next day. The staff was very helpful and had clear instructions for the training and other pre-employment requirements responsibilities and expectations.

Interview Questions
    • Had to demonstrate ability to sell at first interview. Make sure you can demonstrate that you can be a "closer!"   Answer Question
    Received a fair offer.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at YP in November 2014.

Very informal setting of the interview. I was not interviewed for the position that I applied for but for a similar position. The person who interviewed me would not be my manager. The person who interviewed was badly informed by the YP recruiter who reached out to me and set up the appointment. Overall they did not make a very good impression on me.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at YP.

initial telephone interview followed by four rounds of in-person interview in san francisco office. All of them were purely technical and easy for an experienced developer. no surprises here.

Data Scientist/Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at YP.

Initially contacted by recruiter and had an in-person meeting with a senior leader. This was followed by more interviews with senior people. The process so far was ambiguous, but went very well.

After this, they introduced me to the individual teams, data engineers and data scientists where it became very disorganized. My role wasn't made clear to either myself or to the interviewers. Some of these interviewers seemed somewhat arrogant and hostile. The whole process was very slow, needlessly drawn out and a waste of time.

Interview Questions
    • The data science team asked a lot of very basic and easy questions, that they didn't themselves understand. Asked to describe Random Forests, linear programming and constraint satisfaction problems. The data engineers had more general discussions regarding their data architecture choices and pipelines.   Answer Question

There are many better options in the area and YP would not be a top choice for the best technology people. The organizational issues and problems became very clear in the interview process itself. There's a lot of territorial disputes and YP inherits a legacy system and organizational structure. It seemed like I a place where I couldn't do my best work during my best years there.

Directory Telephone Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at YP in September 2014.

Applied online via yp.com, indeed.com, or glassdoor.com. I was applying through corporate website as well as indeed and glassdoor. Both are proficient and helpful as I find my career in sales and marketing. Anyways, I got contacted by HR with 2 different area codes. HR works remotely and contact candidates via email and phone. You will have to go through a telephone screen process, online placement test, and face to face interview. However, I was interviewed with another person at YP's telephone sales training station. BEWARE: Positions are posted as an Account Executive when the position is NOT handling accounts. The candidate will have to do COLD CALLING to sell YP's Advertisment. 2nd BEWARE: Make sure the Interviewer remembers your NAME or else you'll be a number just like everyone's email at the office. For example FIRST NAME INITIAL,LAST NAME INITIAL WITH EMPLOYEE NUMBER: YP2014@yp.com that will be your email while with the company. Notice that their just using you to make sales and bring NEW accounts?

Hiring managers did not remember my name. My interview was conducted with another candidate. They called me by another name when my resume was in their hands. I did not feel comfortable working for a company that will not take the time to give me an independent interview. Although I was given a job offer, if wish all the candidates and YP the best. There is a high turnover rate with layoffs. Keep this in mind. If you are working in sales, do not lose your job for YP. YP will find a way to squeeze your skills and turnover in 3 months. I got called in June 2014 and September 2014. September 2014 I got an offer after initial screening and face to face interview. June to Septemeber is exactly enough time to drop you: 3 months!

Media Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at YP in September 2014.

Only did the on-line assessment test which was made of the usual selling situational questions. People I believe need to know that there will be a typing assessment. I applied for the position on-line and was immediately contacted by the human resource department for and on-line assessment. My interview process never made it pass the on-line assessment.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult was attempting to take typing test over an android. Lol. Did not realize before into the process that I would be taking a typing test.   Answer Question

SEM Analyst Interview

Nice interview based on more technical questions about AdWords and less extensional questions. Questions about paid search not that difficult but good answers are expected. Nice casual interview, that was more like a long conversion about Adwords and YP in general.

Interview Questions
    • How would you raise the CTR of a poor performing adgroup.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Applied online for a marketing position a few weeks ago and was contacted by a recruiter by email for a telephone interview. The recruiter was pleasant and I could tell was given a brief background on the position. Process was quick and to the point. T