YP

Updated Nov 6, 2014
Updated Nov 6, 2014

2.8

Sales Account Executive Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at YP.

too long, boring, too much wasted time in interview process, manager leaves room and seems to forget about you. role plays is complete waste of time, single person decides to hire you. company evolved into micro-managing firm without regard to employees, cost cutting elimanted too many jobs and sent overseas.

Interview Questions
    • how to handle a customer who wants to cancel   View Answer
    took offer and gradually rose through incentive steps

Digital Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Medford, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Medford, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at YP in November 2014.

Person calls you, but it isn't the phone interview. She schedules a phone interview on a separate date. It's as far as I got. I was supposed to speak to someone regarding the position, but I was never contacted. Frankly, it's disrespectful and highly unprofessional. Steer away from working for a company like this.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't expect to not get asked questions. Because they never called when we scheduled it!   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at YP.

initial telephone interview followed by four rounds of in-person interview in san francisco office. All of them were purely technical and easy for an experienced developer. no surprises here.

Data Scientist/Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at YP.

Initially contacted by recruiter and had an in-person meeting with a senior leader. This was followed by more interviews with senior people. The process so far was ambiguous, but went very well.

After this, they introduced me to the individual teams, data engineers and data scientists where it became very disorganized. My role wasn't made clear to either myself or to the interviewers. Some of these interviewers seemed somewhat arrogant and hostile. The whole process was very slow, needlessly drawn out and a waste of time.

Interview Questions
    • The data science team asked a lot of very basic and easy questions, that they didn't themselves understand. Asked to describe Random Forests, linear programming and constraint satisfaction problems. The data engineers had more general discussions regarding their data architecture choices and pipelines.   Answer Question

There are many better options in the area and YP would not be a top choice for the best technology people. The organizational issues and problems became very clear in the interview process itself. There's a lot of territorial disputes and YP inherits a legacy system and organizational structure. It seemed like I a place where I couldn't do my best work during my best years there.

Directory Telephone Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at YP in September 2014.

Applied online via yp.com, indeed.com, or glassdoor.com. I was applying through corporate website as well as indeed and glassdoor. Both are proficient and helpful as I find my career in sales and marketing. Anyways, I got contacted by HR with 2 different area codes. HR works remotely and contact candidates via email and phone. You will have to go through a telephone screen process, online placement test, and face to face interview. However, I was interviewed with another person at YP's telephone sales training station. BEWARE: Positions are posted as an Account Executive when the position is NOT handling accounts. The candidate will have to do COLD CALLING to sell YP's Advertisment. 2nd BEWARE: Make sure the Interviewer remembers your NAME or else you'll be a number just like everyone's email at the office. For example FIRST NAME INITIAL,LAST NAME INITIAL WITH EMPLOYEE NUMBER: YP2014@yp.com that will be your email while with the company. Notice that their just using you to make sales and bring NEW accounts?

Hiring managers did not remember my name. My interview was conducted with another candidate. They called me by another name when my resume was in their hands. I did not feel comfortable working for a company that will not take the time to give me an independent interview. Although I was given a job offer, if wish all the candidates and YP the best. There is a high turnover rate with layoffs. Keep this in mind. If you are working in sales, do not lose your job for YP. YP will find a way to squeeze your skills and turnover in 3 months. I got called in June 2014 and September 2014. September 2014 I got an offer after initial screening and face to face interview. June to Septemeber is exactly enough time to drop you: 3 months!

Media Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at YP in September 2014.

Only did the on-line assessment test which was made of the usual selling situational questions. People I believe need to know that there will be a typing assessment. I applied for the position on-line and was immediately contacted by the human resource department for and on-line assessment. My interview process never made it pass the on-line assessment.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult was attempting to take typing test over an android. Lol. Did not realize before into the process that I would be taking a typing test.   Answer Question

SEM Analyst Interview

Nice interview based on more technical questions about AdWords and less extensional questions. Questions about paid search not that difficult but good answers are expected. Nice casual interview, that was more like a long conversion about Adwords and YP in general.

Interview Questions
    • How would you raise the CTR of a poor performing adgroup.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Applied online for a marketing position a few weeks ago and was contacted by a recruiter by email for a telephone interview. The recruiter was pleasant and I could tell was given a brief background on the position. Process was quick and to the point. T

Inside Sales Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at YP.

Dress nicely; churn is high and you will be hired just for showing up. It does take a few weeks, though, because every process at YP is bureaucratic. Don't use big words; the managers are not educated people.

Interview Questions
    • The questions are all easy and it doesn't matter how you answer. Churn is high and YP will hire anyone to do sales for a while.   Answer Question
    there is no negotiation

Sales Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at YP in July 2014.

I applied online. I received an email asking me to take a personality assessment. The email indicated it should take 45 minutes but it felt like forever. Trust me on this one -- no serious company asks you to complete such an asinine assessment. It begs candidates to lie on questions such as, "You are the nicest person you know" or "No one can tell when you're having a bad day". Huh??

The bottom line is, any "career" opportunity that begins with that type of questionnaire isn't looking for serious people but rather folks who'll do anything they're told to do in hope of being paid more than they're worth.

Anyway, I applied on a Thursday, took the assessment on Friday, and interviewed the following Tuesday. The office was what I had expected -- decent folks but no one looking overly sharp. It's the type of place where everyone says they're happy to be but no one expected to be. Like, no one said, "I really want to work for YP", but rather just sort of ended up there after tanking in a previous job. But most were really quite nice, though a few were obnoxious. Dare I say, a poor man's version of an investment banker -- talk the talk but buy off-the-rack suits at TJ Max and shoes at Marshalls.

I sort of knew it was a bad omen when I walked in and realized my shoes were worth more than each manager's entire ensemble (there were four "team" managers). Not that it's a bad thing; just a bad thing when Boss Man brags about how lucrative the opportunity can be. It's like, "damn bro, why aren't you participating in the cash grab?"

Anyway, my interview with the hiring manager (not one of the four amigos) went fine. It consisted of canned questions probably created by a group of folks in butt-fudge Idaho who've never worked a day of sales in their lives. But, once again, not designed to identify intelligent folks. Ironically, they do one heck of a job weeding them out.

To say the least, I think my lack of interest in the position began to ooze out somewhere near the halfway mark. But I enjoyed my conversation with the hiring manager. We cracked a few jokes together. He was definitely a good guy - smart, understands sales, milked his position for all it was worth. He would be a solid guy to work for and with.

I would actually recommend this job but only for a select group of folks. All jokes aside, I do believe you can make some decent money if:

1) You don't mind pounding the pavement (much, much easier said than done)
    2) You are prepared to exude a serious amount of energy translating into a ton of activity and possibly no money for long periods

If you have the ability and willingness to do those two things, I would pursue this gig. It's certainly better than many alternatives in the sales profession. I mean, you will be selling decent products/strategies that have fairly strong demand. That's half the battle. And, if you have half a brain, you should quickly pass the four amigos on your way to the top of the food chain.