YP

Updated Feb 20, 2015
Updated Feb 20, 2015

2.9

Digital Sales Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at YP in February 2015.

I applied online via careers website. After 2 days I received an email from recruiting inviting for a Realistic Job Preview questionnaire online. I was to email recruiting once I was complete.

I completed the RJP it was comprised of several phone call related questions and choosing best scenario and worst scenario. I emailed the recruiter and was asked to complete a phone response screening where I would be given a role-play and record a response using automated call.

The same day I was contacted by a Staffing Manager about the position and asked several questions about B2B experience and sales related questions. I was asked about previous jobs and what kind of goals I was given. The recruiter gave information regarding base salary and benefits and company vision etc. The recruiter suggested we move forward and the hiring manager would be in contact with me about scheduling a F2F interview and suggested I bring professional references.

I was contacted 3-4 days later by a General Manager that wanted to schedule an interview and we met a couple days afterwards with General Manager whom called and Area Manager from local district. Two parts to the interview were Situational Responses and Sales demonstration.

I learned later that the company will not be moving forward with my application.

Interview Questions
    • Give a time where you were not sure about the directions given. What did you do? How did you solve it?   Answer Question

New Media Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at YP.

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 9 weeks! The interview took place within a week of applying. After numerous follow up phone calls I received a message on week 9 that said I was a finalist for the position. Then nothing.

Interview Questions
    • Role play. Sell me a product that I don't really need and is expensive. Short questionnaire prior to the role play. Those question are just to get to know you and your work experience.   View Answer

New Media Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at YP.

Easy interview. Role play required. Interviewed by two people. I thought it was hilarious that they both wrote every single thing that I said down. Most of the interview was me waiting on them to get done writing my answer down.

Sales Interview

The first interview was conducted by a corporate recruiter.

The second interview resembled a beer fueled frat party. Yes, they had two buckets of beer. They were essentially seeing if they liked you or not, and making an excuse to drink I suppose.

The last step in consideration was a series of face to face interviews.

Direct Marketing Designer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at YP.

Strangest most unprofessional interview I've ever been on. Very disconnected. Asked very little questions. Was a little disturbing that the tire floor of the building that the interview was completely unoccupied. Like they where going out of business. People where nice, just not very professional. It was also unsettling that they didn't even know the name of the recruiter, the recruiting company nor had they ever talked to him directly, ever. Doesn't seem like they take hiring people very seriously.

SEM Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at YP in January 2015.

Interview process was a phone screen with HR, a second phone interview with a manager who was out of state and a third in-person interview at their local office with a department director. Both phone interviews went very well. The manager was able to answer many of the questions I had about the job as well as the company. The in-person interview with the department director did not go as well. The person was late to the interview and proceeded to text on his cell phone while I was speaking. It was pretty obvious that the interviewer did not care to be conducting the interview.

Despite sending thank you emails as well as follow up emails, I received no response regarding their final decision. Not following up with in-person interview candidates is very unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • Please give us an example of how you build out a campaign for a sample client. Please show examples of keywords, keyword organization and ad copy.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at YP in December 2014.

The interview was pretty standard and lasted for about an hour. They had a questionnaire that the interviewers went through. All of the questions were very boiler plate interview questions that are easy to answer. Two people interviewed me, a sales rep and a manager. That was fine except they were sitting on either side of me and I couldn't talk to both of them at the same time, which was a bit awkward.Although everyone in the office was very nice, I sensed an uneasiness to all the employees. They seemed a little bit burnt out.

Digital Media Account Executive Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at YP in December 2014.

I was invited to his company to interview and went through the entire process. Met them, hung out a bit, and was then offered a job. I did not accept the job because the people who interviewed with me were kind of shady. They did not share all the information about the position. It took them an entire week to decided whether or not they were going to accept me for the position. It sounded like a great job with high compensation however just because it sounds good and looks good does not always mean that it is good. I asked several times about the compensation and how the comp plan worked, no one ever answered me. They could not give me a straight answer. They did not even know what the base salary was when I was going through the interview process. I asked how much the commissions were, no one answered me, no one gave mt he straight answer. The interview was average difficulty and then the hiring manager told me the decision would come fast. 5 business days later is not fast. Not only that, the position requires you to drive to the actual business owner and make a call out so expect to be driving all over the place to make appointments. Yes they give you a car allowance and a phone allowance with a computer and an IPAD which is really cool but get your questions answered thoroughly before accepting a job. Simply telling me that there is a base in the 30's and an unlimited commission structure does not do it for me.

Don't get me wrong, the staff was great, the people were great, the company seems great and has a lot of backing however for the amount of stress the job entailed I would have expected almost double the base that was offered.

I was offered the job, I simply asked the recruiter to send me the information in a document and/or offer letter so that I may review the information in detail and get back to her and she told me that I had virtually no time to think about the job and that I had til the end of that day to accept the job and that I had to get all of these online questionnaires and everything done so that I could start the hiring process. I was simple and I was clear. I said please send me the offer letter and terms and conditions of the job so that I may review it and get back to you and that never happened instead it was a push to hurry up and take the job.

I took another offer because this company took too long to get back to me, they never answered my questions, they did not send me what I requested, and then they had the nerve to get upset at me when I rejected the offer.

News flash YP.com, just because someone does not accept a job offer does not mean that they are angry or upset or that they may consider your company in the future. Now just isn't the right time for this type of job and that was what it came down to.

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell this product to such and such. Let's role play a scenario you have had before...   View Answer

Company seemed to want to hide the details of the comp plan. They didn't explain the charge back process. And they did not explain to me that if a client signs a contract and then they cancel I am responsible for that lost amount, must pay back the commission and that I could possibly get a bill that I have to pay to the company out of my base salary. So please understand that the base is not actually a true base, more like a draw against future commissions.

They were not upfront about the compensation and no detailed offer letter was given at time of acceptance.

Data Scientist/Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at YP.

Initially contacted by recruiter and had an in-person meeting with a senior leader. This was followed by more interviews with senior people. The process so far was ambiguous, but went very well.

After this, they introduced me to the individual teams, data engineers and data scientists where it became very disorganized. My role wasn't made clear to either myself or to the interviewers. Some of these interviewers seemed somewhat arrogant and hostile. The whole process was very slow, needlessly drawn out and a waste of time.

Interview Questions
    • The data science team asked a lot of very basic and easy questions, that they didn't themselves understand. Asked to describe Random Forests, linear programming and constraint satisfaction problems. The data engineers had more general discussions regarding their data architecture choices and pipelines.   Answer Question

There are many better options in the area and YP would not be a top choice for the best technology people. The organizational issues and problems became very clear in the interview process itself. There's a lot of territorial disputes and YP inherits a legacy system and organizational structure. It seemed like I a place where I couldn't do my best work during my best years there.

Sales Account Executive Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at YP.

too long, boring, too much wasted time in interview process, manager leaves room and seems to forget about you. role plays is complete waste of time, single person decides to hire you. company evolved into micro-managing firm without regard to employees, cost cutting elimanted too many jobs and sent overseas.

Interview Questions
    • how to handle a customer who wants to cancel   View Answer
    took offer and gradually rose through incentive steps