YP Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 21, 2014
90 interviews

2.9

SEM Analyst Interview

Nice interview based on more technical questions about AdWords and less extensional questions. Questions about paid search not that difficult but good answers are expected. Nice casual interview, that was more like a long conversion about Adwords and YP in general.

Interview Questions
    • How would you raise the CTR of a poor performing adgroup.   Answer Question

Telephone Sales Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at YP in March 2010.

extremely long and boring, tedious role playing the manager was very boring not business like , he was bored and it showed in his questions and answers. He didn't want to do the interview. I felt like the interview was over in the first 15 minutes, yet he dragged it out for over 90 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • cold call sell me a pen or stapler really?   View Answer
    no negotiation

Manager Interview

Applied online for a marketing position a few weeks ago and was contacted by a recruiter by email for a telephone interview. The recruiter was pleasant and I could tell was given a brief background on the position. Process was quick and to the point. T

Inside Sales Interview

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at YP.

Dress nicely; churn is high and you will be hired just for showing up. It does take a few weeks, though, because every process at YP is bureaucratic. Don't use big words; the managers are not educated people.

Interview Questions
    • The questions are all easy and it doesn't matter how you answer. Churn is high and YP will hire anyone to do sales for a while.   Answer Question
    there is no negotiation

Account Coordinator Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at YP in June 2014.

Applied and the next day someone contacted me to set up a phone interview. I spoke with a representative of recruiting and she was nice at first but quickly turned into a bulldog because apparently I didn't give her "the right answer" to a very vague question. After she explained why she attacked and I feed her the answer she wanted to hear she forwarded my information to the hiring manager. Who called to set up an interview within the hour for the next day. After further analyzing of the position and expectations; I realized the job wasn't for me so I decided not to move forward. Plus the recruiter left a very bad impression on me..

Interview Questions
    • How much would you like to make within your first year?   Answer Question

Advertising Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at YP in July 2014.

it was silly. not much talk... just role playing, pretending you are cold calling a customer. did this for about 10-15 calls. no script... just winging it. no coaching or feedback from the manager - he just sat there.

Interview Questions
    • there wasn't really any difficult questions. the manager was distracted and kind of goofy. another manager came in ad he had a stuttering problem... he tried to coach me on my fake role playing. it was strange.   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at YP in April 2010.

Challenging and rewarding at the same time. Looking to acquire top talent and paying less than competitors for same positions. Interviews focused on demonstrating ability and past experience ,etc.

Interview Questions
    • What salary would it take to offer you the job today?   View Answer

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I interviewed online - interviewed at YP in June 2014.

Short Telephone interview with recruiter and at the end of the call we scheduled a face to face interview for the same week. Arrived at interview 30 mins early and after waiting for 15 mins (still 15 mins early) I was greeted by an area sales manager who apologized for making me wait and for being late! They are really big on punctuality so arrive super early people! I believe arriving 5-10 mins before your interview wont cut it. Anyways, I believe I made a good first impression which helped with my nerves. We went up to a conference room and we were then accompanied by a hiring manager. Interview process began with an explanation of how the process was going to work. 45 mins of behavioral based questions and 15 mins of role play. The behavioral questions were pretty standard but I am used to this style of interviewing so I did already have scenarios ready. Don't be scared to confidently ask for clarifications on any questions and also if they would like you to go into further detail with any of your answers. This helped me a few times where the hiring manager honestly said do you mind providing us with another scenario as the one you gave got a little confusing for me while I was taking notes. I loved the honesty and may not have been offered the chance to provide a new scenario had I not asked! It is always better to be safe than sorry! Then we moved on to the roleplay. I was given 5 minutes to prepare a pitch for a product/service of my choice and the area sales manager and hiring manager left the room and told me to dial the conference telephone when I was ready to provide my cold call pitch. I set my timer on my phone for 5 mins (remember they are big on punctuality!) and started to prepare. My advice here is to think outside of the box. I took my jacket off, rolled my sleeves up and started jotting down notes. When my timer started beeping I pressed the dial button and started my pitch. My advice would be to keep digging until you find a need or emotional connection before you explain what you are selling and then you work to overcome objections. After the pitch they came back into the room and then there was one final roleplay of "sell me this pen". At the end of the interview they said they would be in touch soon. I received a message the same day from my recruiter with the job offer! Enjoyed the whole experience from start to finish!

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle being assigned a new task from your manager when you are already feeling swamped   View Answer
    There is no room for negotiation

Digital Media Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at YP in June 2014.

Phone screen to start followed by some testing to get you to the actual face to face interview with 2 people. During the interview process, it is a rundown of your professional career and a quick brush on the job. Questioning for me were all based on my goals and approach to business. For me my philosophy to be the lead sales person rather than have a particular $ goal. My interviewer asked me how I could take such an approach since what if everyone else in the sales team underperform and you are the top by default. Knowing that I would not be going any further (by my decision) my response to that was simply that I would imagine that I would be interviewing with another person if you couldn't hire anyone who could be a successful sales person. Basically I planned to mirror my interviewer with overconfidence and sarcasm for the remainder of the interview. Final task was to go out and come back and pitch to them a product that I sold in my last job to them. This is a complete waste of time since you will pitch a product that they have no knowledge of so it by no means replicate the real world since a good sales person would only be selling to and creating proposals to qualified and educated leads. This meant that all rebuttal responses from the interviewer made no sense. All in all it was the first time I left an interview laughing about a company and explanation why they are always running ads for positions.

Interview Questions
    • Not much of a question but unexpected review of my resume and sarcastic trashing of a successful professional career.   Answer Question

Anticipated horrible leadership where they are better than the room rather than coaching. Setting reps up with false sense or goals to just put you on a road to failure.

Account Executive - New Media Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at YP in January 2013.

The initial interview is a screening call. Next you interview with the Manager you'll work for. If he likes you, you'll be asked to sit down with the General Manager for a few minutes. If the GM like you and you pass the background check, you're hired.

Interview Questions
    • The questions are based on how you would handle various scenarios including past experiences. There weren't any gotcha type questions.   Answer Question
    The base salary and commission plan is excellent. What they don't tell you is that if you don't hit quota you're most likely going to be let go. It is a very quick process.

Worked for YP? Contribute to the Community!