YP

Relevance Date Difficulty

Manager Interview

Manager

Interviewed at YP

Interview Details – Applied online for a marketing position a few weeks ago and was contacted by a recruiter by email for a telephone interview. The recruiter was pleasant and I could tell was given a brief background on the position. Process was quick and to the point. T

Interview Question – Questions were pretty standard during this process   Answer Question

Inside Sales Interview

Inside Sales

I applied in-person and interviewed at YP.

Interview Details – Dress nicely; churn is high and you will be hired just for showing up. It does take a few weeks, though, because every process at YP is bureaucratic. Don't use big words; the managers are not educated people.

Interview Question – The questions are all easy and it doesn't matter how you answer. Churn is high and YP will hire anyone to do sales for a while.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there is no negotiation

Account Coordinator Interview

Account Coordinator

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at YP in June 2014.

Interview Details – Applied and the next day someone contacted me to set up a phone interview. I spoke with a representative of recruiting and she was nice at first but quickly turned into a bulldog because apparently I didn't give her "the right answer" to a very vague question. After she explained why she attacked and I feed her the answer she wanted to hear she forwarded my information to the hiring manager. Who called to set up an interview within the hour for the next day. After further analyzing of the position and expectations; I realized the job wasn't for me so I decided not to move forward. Plus the recruiter left a very bad impression on me..

Interview Question – How much would you like to make within your first year?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Advertising Sales Representative Interview

Advertising Sales Representative
Phoenix, AZ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at YP in July 2014.

Interview Details – it was silly. not much talk... just role playing, pretending you are cold calling a customer. did this for about 10-15 calls. no script... just winging it. no coaching or feedback from the manager - he just sat there.

Interview Question – there wasn't really any difficult questions. the manager was distracted and kind of goofy. another manager came in ad he had a stuttering problem... he tried to coach me on my fake role playing. it was strange.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive
Dallas, TX

I applied online - interviewed at YP in June 2014.

Interview Details – Short Telephone interview with recruiter and at the end of the call we scheduled a face to face interview for the same week. Arrived at interview 30 mins early and after waiting for 15 mins (still 15 mins early) I was greeted by an area sales manager who apologized for making me wait and for being late! They are really big on punctuality so arrive super early people! I believe arriving 5-10 mins before your interview wont cut it. Anyways, I believe I made a good first impression which helped with my nerves. We went up to a conference room and we were then accompanied by a hiring manager. Interview process began with an explanation of how the process was going to work. 45 mins of behavioral based questions and 15 mins of role play. The behavioral questions were pretty standard but I am used to this style of interviewing so I did already have scenarios ready. Don't be scared to confidently ask for clarifications on any questions and also if they would like you to go into further detail with any of your answers. This helped me a few times where the hiring manager honestly said do you mind providing us with another scenario as the one you gave got a little confusing for me while I was taking notes. I loved the honesty and may not have been offered the chance to provide a new scenario had I not asked! It is always better to be safe than sorry! Then we moved on to the roleplay. I was given 5 minutes to prepare a pitch for a product/service of my choice and the area sales manager and hiring manager left the room and told me to dial the conference telephone when I was ready to provide my cold call pitch. I set my timer on my phone for 5 mins (remember they are big on punctuality!) and started to prepare. My advice here is to think outside of the box. I took my jacket off, rolled my sleeves up and started jotting down notes. When my timer started beeping I pressed the dial button and started my pitch. My advice would be to keep digging until you find a need or emotional connection before you explain what you are selling and then you work to overcome objections. After the pitch they came back into the room and then there was one final roleplay of "sell me this pen". At the end of the interview they said they would be in touch soon. I received a message the same day from my recruiter with the job offer! Enjoyed the whole experience from start to finish!

Interview Question – How do you handle being assigned a new task from your manager when you are already feeling swamped   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no room for negotiation

General Manager Interview

General Manager
Detroit, MI

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at YP in April 2010.

Interview Details – Challenging and rewarding at the same time. Looking to acquire top talent and paying less than competitors for same positions. Interviews focused on demonstrating ability and past experience ,etc.

Interview Question – What salary would it take to offer you the job today?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Easy

Digital Media Consultant Interview

Digital Media Consultant
Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at YP in June 2014.

Interview Details – Phone screen to start followed by some testing to get you to the actual face to face interview with 2 people. During the interview process, it is a rundown of your professional career and a quick brush on the job. Questioning for me were all based on my goals and approach to business. For me my philosophy to be the lead sales person rather than have a particular $ goal. My interviewer asked me how I could take such an approach since what if everyone else in the sales team underperform and you are the top by default. Knowing that I would not be going any further (by my decision) my response to that was simply that I would imagine that I would be interviewing with another person if you couldn't hire anyone who could be a successful sales person. Basically I planned to mirror my interviewer with overconfidence and sarcasm for the remainder of the interview. Final task was to go out and come back and pitch to them a product that I sold in my last job to them. This is a complete waste of time since you will pitch a product that they have no knowledge of so it by no means replicate the real world since a good sales person would only be selling to and creating proposals to qualified and educated leads. This meant that all rebuttal responses from the interviewer made no sense. All in all it was the first time I left an interview laughing about a company and explanation why they are always running ads for positions.

Interview Question – Not much of a question but unexpected review of my resume and sarcastic trashing of a successful professional career.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Anticipated horrible leadership where they are better than the room rather than coaching. Setting reps up with false sense or goals to just put you on a road to failure.

Account Executive - New Media Interview

Account Executive - New Media

I applied online - interviewed at YP in January 2013.

Interview Details – The initial interview is a screening call. Next you interview with the Manager you'll work for. If he likes you, you'll be asked to sit down with the General Manager for a few minutes. If the GM like you and you pass the background check, you're hired.

Interview Question – The questions are based on how you would handle various scenarios including past experiences. There weren't any gotcha type questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The base salary and commission plan is excellent. What they don't tell you is that if you don't hit quota you're most likely going to be let go. It is a very quick process.

Media Sales Representative Interview

Media Sales Representative
Philadelphia, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at YP in May 2014.

Interview Details – I couldn't wait to interview to find out more about the company just based on how professional and awesome the recruiter was. The application was silly as it included multiple tests, and took way too long.. Isn't that what I went to college for..? The manager called and set up a meeting with me at 9am the next day... I was 15 minutes early and was told that the man I was meeting just went downstairs and he would be back. I sat down and listed to the training that was going on in the next room while waiting, but waited until 9:15 to be seen to talk with 2 men who didn't seem to want to talk with me, at all! and knew nothing about sales other than you should be prepared when going into a cold call... ::facepalm:: they proceeded to just kept leaving and coming back then explained that the guy who is interviewing me was in another meeting... About then is when I realized, I need to get out of there, who double books meetings in the professional world!? I have better things to do than be somewhere I am clearly not welcome... whatever I go into the office of this guy and we get started with the interview and he is not answering any of my questions things like what is the commission structure like, how do you manage a team of 30 reps with no defined territory!? He actually told me my questions were not good questions..! Not to mention he was way more interested in whatever was going on in his email, I almost asked him if he wanted a minute... I would be insulted no longer and said I have no other questions, and laughed my way out of the office.

Interview Question – what would you say if someone's nervous about working with you based on the fact that you do not have experience selling in this industry?   View Answer

SEM Analyst Interview

SEM Analyst
Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at YP.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a YP recruiter from their California office. The interview took place about five days after the initial call. The interview was very pleasant. Met with two lovely people. They asked me a bunch of questions about my previous experience, what I would do in certain situations, and questions about SEM industry standards. Things wentvery well, received my offer the next day.

Interview Question – The most difficult question that was asked had to do with how I would handle an irate sales person if a customer wasn't happy.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not much of one. Gave me requested pay and YP topped it. Very pleased.

Worked for YP? Contribute to the Community!