YP

Updated Dec 9, 2014
Updated Dec 9, 2014

2.8

Inside Sales Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at YP.

Dress nicely; churn is high and you will be hired just for showing up. It does take a few weeks, though, because every process at YP is bureaucratic. Don't use big words; the managers are not educated people.

Interview Questions
    • The questions are all easy and it doesn't matter how you answer. Churn is high and YP will hire anyone to do sales for a while.   Answer Question
    there is no negotiation

Sales Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at YP in July 2014.

I applied online. I received an email asking me to take a personality assessment. The email indicated it should take 45 minutes but it felt like forever. Trust me on this one -- no serious company asks you to complete such an asinine assessment. It begs candidates to lie on questions such as, "You are the nicest person you know" or "No one can tell when you're having a bad day". Huh??

The bottom line is, any "career" opportunity that begins with that type of questionnaire isn't looking for serious people but rather folks who'll do anything they're told to do in hope of being paid more than they're worth.

Anyway, I applied on a Thursday, took the assessment on Friday, and interviewed the following Tuesday. The office was what I had expected -- decent folks but no one looking overly sharp. It's the type of place where everyone says they're happy to be but no one expected to be. Like, no one said, "I really want to work for YP", but rather just sort of ended up there after tanking in a previous job. But most were really quite nice, though a few were obnoxious. Dare I say, a poor man's version of an investment banker -- talk the talk but buy off-the-rack suits at TJ Max and shoes at Marshalls.

I sort of knew it was a bad omen when I walked in and realized my shoes were worth more than each manager's entire ensemble (there were four "team" managers). Not that it's a bad thing; just a bad thing when Boss Man brags about how lucrative the opportunity can be. It's like, "damn bro, why aren't you participating in the cash grab?"

Anyway, my interview with the hiring manager (not one of the four amigos) went fine. It consisted of canned questions probably created by a group of folks in butt-fudge Idaho who've never worked a day of sales in their lives. But, once again, not designed to identify intelligent folks. Ironically, they do one heck of a job weeding them out.

To say the least, I think my lack of interest in the position began to ooze out somewhere near the halfway mark. But I enjoyed my conversation with the hiring manager. We cracked a few jokes together. He was definitely a good guy - smart, understands sales, milked his position for all it was worth. He would be a solid guy to work for and with.

I would actually recommend this job but only for a select group of folks. All jokes aside, I do believe you can make some decent money if:

1) You don't mind pounding the pavement (much, much easier said than done)
    2) You are prepared to exude a serious amount of energy translating into a ton of activity and possibly no money for long periods

If you have the ability and willingness to do those two things, I would pursue this gig. It's certainly better than many alternatives in the sales profession. I mean, you will be selling decent products/strategies that have fairly strong demand. That's half the battle. And, if you have half a brain, you should quickly pass the four amigos on your way to the top of the food chain.

Advertising Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at YP in July 2014.

it was silly. not much talk... just role playing, pretending you are cold calling a customer. did this for about 10-15 calls. no script... just winging it. no coaching or feedback from the manager - he just sat there.

Interview Questions
    • there wasn't really any difficult questions. the manager was distracted and kind of goofy. another manager came in ad he had a stuttering problem... he tried to coach me on my fake role playing. it was strange.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online – interviewed at YP in June 2014.

Short Telephone interview with recruiter and at the end of the call we scheduled a face to face interview for the same week. Arrived at interview 30 mins early and after waiting for 15 mins (still 15 mins early) I was greeted by an area sales manager who apologized for making me wait and for being late! They are really big on punctuality so arrive super early people! I believe arriving 5-10 mins before your interview wont cut it. Anyways, I believe I made a good first impression which helped with my nerves. We went up to a conference room and we were then accompanied by a hiring manager. Interview process began with an explanation of how the process was going to work. 45 mins of behavioral based questions and 15 mins of role play. The behavioral questions were pretty standard but I am used to this style of interviewing so I did already have scenarios ready. Don't be scared to confidently ask for clarifications on any questions and also if they would like you to go into further detail with any of your answers. This helped me a few times where the hiring manager honestly said do you mind providing us with another scenario as the one you gave got a little confusing for me while I was taking notes. I loved the honesty and may not have been offered the chance to provide a new scenario had I not asked! It is always better to be safe than sorry! Then we moved on to the roleplay. I was given 5 minutes to prepare a pitch for a product/service of my choice and the area sales manager and hiring manager left the room and told me to dial the conference telephone when I was ready to provide my cold call pitch. I set my timer on my phone for 5 mins (remember they are big on punctuality!) and started to prepare. My advice here is to think outside of the box. I took my jacket off, rolled my sleeves up and started jotting down notes. When my timer started beeping I pressed the dial button and started my pitch. My advice would be to keep digging until you find a need or emotional connection before you explain what you are selling and then you work to overcome objections. After the pitch they came back into the room and then there was one final roleplay of "sell me this pen". At the end of the interview they said they would be in touch soon. I received a message the same day from my recruiter with the job offer! Enjoyed the whole experience from start to finish!

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle being assigned a new task from your manager when you are already feeling swamped   View Answer
    There is no room for negotiation

Digital Media Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at YP in June 2014.

Phone screen to start followed by some testing to get you to the actual face to face interview with 2 people. During the interview process, it is a rundown of your professional career and a quick brush on the job. Questioning for me were all based on my goals and approach to business. For me my philosophy to be the lead sales person rather than have a particular $ goal. My interviewer asked me how I could take such an approach since what if everyone else in the sales team underperform and you are the top by default. Knowing that I would not be going any further (by my decision) my response to that was simply that I would imagine that I would be interviewing with another person if you couldn't hire anyone who could be a successful sales person. Basically I planned to mirror my interviewer with overconfidence and sarcasm for the remainder of the interview. Final task was to go out and come back and pitch to them a product that I sold in my last job to them. This is a complete waste of time since you will pitch a product that they have no knowledge of so it by no means replicate the real world since a good sales person would only be selling to and creating proposals to qualified and educated leads. This meant that all rebuttal responses from the interviewer made no sense. All in all it was the first time I left an interview laughing about a company and explanation why they are always running ads for positions.

Interview Questions
    • Not much of a question but unexpected review of my resume and sarcastic trashing of a successful professional career.   Answer Question

Anticipated horrible leadership where they are better than the room rather than coaching. Setting reps up with false sense or goals to just put you on a road to failure.

Account Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at YP in June 2014.

Applied and the next day someone contacted me to set up a phone interview. I spoke with a representative of recruiting and she was nice at first but quickly turned into a bulldog because apparently I didn't give her "the right answer" to a very vague question. After she explained why she attacked and I feed her the answer she wanted to hear she forwarded my information to the hiring manager. Who called to set up an interview within the hour for the next day. After further analyzing of the position and expectations; I realized the job wasn't for me so I decided not to move forward. Plus the recruiter left a very bad impression on me..

Interview Questions
    • How much would you like to make within your first year?   Answer Question

SEM Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at YP.

I was contacted by a YP recruiter from their California office. The interview took place about five days after the initial call. The interview was very pleasant. Met with two lovely people. They asked me a bunch of questions about my previous experience, what I would do in certain situations, and questions about SEM industry standards. Things wentvery well, received my offer the next day.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question that was asked had to do with how I would handle an irate sales person if a customer wasn't happy.   View Answer
    Not much of one. Gave me requested pay and YP topped it. Very pleased.

Media Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at YP in May 2014.

I couldn't wait to interview to find out more about the company just based on how professional and awesome the recruiter was. The application was silly as it included multiple tests, and took way too long.. Isn't that what I went to college for..? The manager called and set up a meeting with me at 9am the next day... I was 15 minutes early and was told that the man I was meeting just went downstairs and he would be back. I sat down and listed to the training that was going on in the next room while waiting, but waited until 9:15 to be seen to talk with 2 men who didn't seem to want to talk with me, at all! and knew nothing about sales other than you should be prepared when going into a cold call... ::facepalm:: they proceeded to just kept leaving and coming back then explained that the guy who is interviewing me was in another meeting... About then is when I realized, I need to get out of there, who double books meetings in the professional world!? I have better things to do than be somewhere I am clearly not welcome... whatever I go into the office of this guy and we get started with the interview and he is not answering any of my questions things like what is the commission structure like, how do you manage a team of 30 reps with no defined territory!? He actually told me my questions were not good questions..! Not to mention he was way more interested in whatever was going on in his email, I almost asked him if he wanted a minute... I would be insulted no longer and said I have no other questions, and laughed my way out of the office.

Interview Questions
    • what would you say if someone's nervous about working with you based on the fact that you do not have experience selling in this industry?   View Answer

Premise Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at YP.

A friend referred me and submitted my resume. I was soon called in for an interview. I was interviewed by the two local sales managers. They really tried to play the good cop/bad cop routine. The interview lasted an hour and the questions were very generic. They also had me "sell" them something. They both acted very unimpressed and told me they would let me know. Ira from HR called me within three days and offered me the position.

Interview Questions
    • Sell me my watch! Small role play scenerio and they objected to every point I made.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation they have everything on a plan and there is no changing it.

New Media Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at YP.

Usually 2 managers ( one at a time) will go over your past and current achievements. They are looking for go getters who will make 200 calls a week cold calling. Be prepared to role play how you close a sale. Your best chance getting in the door is by referral.

Interview Questions
    • The only thing unexpected is the young manager kept taking phone calls and texting during the interview process. This manager was full of himself, and quite rude by his immature ways of playing with his phone most of the time. Seriously who does that during the interview process.   View Answer
    It's a Union company, so there are no negotiations with pay scale unless your management or contractors. Base is low $35,000 but there is a gas and cell phone reimbursement.