Yahoo Architect Interview Questions

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sunnyvale, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in May 2009.

The hiring process is generally flawed because the managers are looking for reasons not to hire rather than strong reasons to hire. The feedback is not collected by the hiring manager by consensus but rather in private closed door meetings with individual interviewers.

Interview Questions
  • What do you think of the Architect role and why should it not be eliminated?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Yahoo in March 2010.

An employee referred me to an Architect level software engineering position within the company. A couple weeks after he forwarded my resume to the hiring manager, I received an initial phone call from the hiring manager.

The hiring manager was pleasant and very easy to speak with. We made plans for phone interviews and on-site interviews. The manager sent me an official job description.

The job description clearly indicated that the job was an "architect" level position. However, my on-site invitation referred to the position as a "Sr Principal Engineer" role. Later, the recruiter verbally confirmed that Yahoo would offer me a "Principal Engineer" position.

Is this a bait-n-switch act. I don't know for sure, but I don't like the initial feelings I have about it. Over the course of a week, the architect job has disappeared and has rematerialized as a job title 2 or 3 levels lower. This simply does not agree with my initial expectations for the job role and title.

Interview Questions
    • How do you influence others to take a course of action when you have no direct authority over them?   Answer Question

I have decided to decline the offer if we cannot resolve this job role/title problem. Of course, I have no leverage once I've joined, so it is better to ask for what I really want at this point.

Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

The process took 4 days - interviewed at Yahoo in February 2010.

I was called up for the architect position. After briefly asking me about my previous projects, it
    straightaway went to strategies for searches for huge number of web pages followed by
    searches in huge files. I explained that I have never done such a thing and gave it a try.

The interview was abruptly cut within 20 minutes making it clear that I am not answering to
    the interviewers satisfaction.

Interview Questions
    • Sorting web pages based on number of hits per hour for a month   Answer Question

Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Yahoo in December 2009.

Had a couple of rounds of phone interviews. There were lots of questions about algorithms specific to hadoop. Interviewed initially for the grid computing team though the technical went well, some gaps were found and Yahoo is planning to interview me for a different

Interview Questions
    • how do you write programs that can both scale be highly available   Answer Question
    • Design an algorithm for storing key value pairs of url and some description in memory   View Answer

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!