Yahoo Interview Questions in California

Updated Apr 15, 2015

Recruiter/Sourcer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Yahoo (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Both interviewers were very friendly. I was able to ask straightforward questions. It lasted about 1.5 hours with two people. A Director and a Lead Recruiter. Both had been with Yahoo for several years and shared a lot of insight with me.

Interview Questions

• What was my sourcing process?
      What is my best sourcing method?
      How would I source a Mobile Engineer (Boolean)?
      Where are my sources?
      What was my hardest role to source for?

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Yahoo (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

It was second round, telephonic call for 1 hr. The interviewer was a Korean and I was asked two algorithmic Questions. He was expecting me to code in front end languages, but i do not know that as i was just writing code in c++. Its a reject after two days. It was for Front end position, but i dont know that.

Interview Questions

• How many binary 1's are there in a given number and also Lowest common ancestor.   Answer Question

Senior Internal Tools Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

This was for a senior DPS (Internal Tools) Dev role.
    Phone interview: Got a call from a senior member of the DPS team. We started by chatting about the team, technologies, projects in-progress, etc.
    He then asked some questions regarding my resume, things I'm doing in my current job, etc. Then on to coding/algo questions using collabedit.

In the last 10 minutes of the interview I was able to ask questions about the team, work environment, etc. All in all, I'm definitely more excited about this opportunity now talking to my interviewer (who seemed pretty cool) and hope to get a chance with an on-site interview...

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Yahoo (Berkeley, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied for summer internship at my college career fair. Scheduled an on-site interview the next week. The process was an 1-on-1 interview with a current Yahoo software engineer. Asked about features and specialty of my most comfortable language (which is Java), and then straight onto coding questions.

Interview Questions

• How to convert a binary search tree into an ordered doubly linked list?   Answer Question
    • How to find out the second most frequent integer given an array of integers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Interview started with a few simple CS and Linux based questions, like one liners. The interviewer was nice and polite, asked about my experience and explained a bit about his team and his role etc. Then went into a programming question, which was easy to average question, but I messed in dealing with array and indexes, so didn't finish the solution in time, he helped me find the mistake and also told me the approach is correct, but there is a small mistake in juggling with indexes in the array operation. As we were user coderpad.com, I have to execute solution right there, so issue was obvious, if its a google doc or collabedit issue wouldn't be found so easy. I was pleased with the experience and interviewer's team, but bad luck.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Yahoo (Mountain View, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Junior platform team SW engineer

Got onsite interview directly by employee referral. I was invited for onsite after 2 months. Interviewed with 4 people.

First: In a binary tree, prune leaves that are odd and have no even children, recursively.

Second: Deep Java and OO questions, inheritance, polymorphism, overloading, lots of question about collection framework, how they are implemented behind the scene and when to use which, downcasting and upcasting, complicated exceptions questions

Third (with the team lead): very random and irrelevant questions, TCP handshaking, DNS server, how Internet works end to end, variables alignment in memory, how cpu is connected to memory! how tomcat works and its thread pools, the interviewer was inconsistent and started and ended with a very negative impression, no question about Java or distributed systems

Forth: with the manager, he described Yahoo’s scaling up open problems and asked me how I would solve them, questions regarding scaling up redis, kafka, mesos, memcashed,…, I believe questions were appropriate for a senior positions

My suggestion is that if you are not from India, do not waste your time interviewing at yahoo platform team

Interview Questions

• In a binary tree, prune leaves that are odd and have no even children, recursively.   Answer Question

Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview was pretty swift. Unlike people here mentioning about late reply from HR. I got reply within a week may be because of my other offer deadline. Had one phone screen, one coding challenge onsite and then 3 F2F interviews. I really liked the Yahoo office and culture there and will accept the offer.

Interview Questions

• Apache Pig Script, LCS type problem, Hadoop, Machine Learning   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Having read through the reviews on glassdoor I wasn't expecting a smooth process either but since I am a local candidate I didn't have to go through the hassle of going through the travel/stay reimbursements etc. The reviews were true to the core that the recruitment process is a clear indication of the complete chaos in the company. I was invited for an onsite, after clearing the initial phone screen which was fairly a simpler algorithmic challenge. Just revisit your algorithms and data structures especially search, sort, list, trees, graphs, string manipulations etc. An advice to candidates is to not to over do the preparation as they come with a mind set expecting 'the' answer they were looking for and even if you out smart them with an efficient solution it's still frowned upon (which is rather untrue for most companies in the silicon valley).
    The onsite interviews were pathetic, with some interviewers jumping straight onto white-board coding without even a formal introduction. The questions ranged from generating random numbers between 1 and N given a function which returns 0 or 1 with equal probability (binary to decimal!), ways to provide contradicting assignment statements from a list of string assignments of the form ['a=b', 'c=d', 'd=b'] ['a!=d'] etc, string anagram matching, binary search trees. The engineers seemed technically sound/professional and will indeed provide you enough hints in case you run into troubled waters.

Interview Questions

• A question involving indirect application of DFS on graph (to prove if a list of assignment statements contradict)   Answer Question

Technical Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

After one or two days when my friend sent the referral email, I got the message from project manager, he arranged two round phone interviews with me, after that he informed me the result and talked to me regarding the potential projects I will work on. The whole process is good and project manager is very helpful. But it takes almost one month to get the final confirmation of the offer from HR.

Interview Questions

• One open-end question: given the user behavior such as login logout time, etc, how to identify the bad users? Use any machine learning methods you can think of.   Answer Question
    • What is copy constructor in C++? Give some examples. What is virtual function in C++?   Answer Question
    • Design a C++ class that can parse string like "https://www.yahoo.com/:8080" into protocol: https, website: www.yahoo.com, port number:8080, no need to implement the actual method, just how to design the private member, public method, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Robbed me of two months of my time! The interview process was straightforward - apply online; get called within a week for phone screen and then onsite interviews within the next two weeks. Then followed the hellacious deal over the decision process.

The onsite interviews were very easy when compared to other interviews. Three rounds of 45 minutes each and that was not that bad. And one was completely behavioral and resume oriented questions such as explain about the project, its architecture. One of the interviewers were informal and I did like the candid reply of "Yeah, my work is monotonous". Thought that I did good in my interviews. Got news from my friends that they received reject whereas I did not. A month passed and mailed the HR asking for the decision, no reply. The same HR sent the mail for reimbursement but did not bother to reply to my query. Finally, another recruiter contacted me where I had to inquire about my decision and it seems that they pursued with other candidates.

Interview Questions

• Straighten out a json to a one level list.   1 Answer
    • Design patterns. Design a paint brush application and more in detail with respect to design pattern.   Answer Question
    • Phone Interview: Linked list class in Java with all operations. Codeshare.   Answer Question