Yahoo Interview Questions in California

Updated Sep 2, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online for Yahoo Gemini and got a call from Principal Engineer in 3-4 days, requesting for setting up Technical Phone Interview. 1 phone interview : Cleared and got onsite request. 1 on-site interview : Had 6 rounds each 45 mins. But one guy had to take PTO and ended up having only 5 rounds each 50 mins. 1/5 round was Lunch

Interview Questions

• Phone interview Question: Convert a BST into Doubly Linked List Onsite 1st Round: Scaling questions (don't recall them right now, couple of them were related to Kap, DHT, Chord), Sockets, RPC, Reverse Linked List, Circular Linked List, Middle of Linked List. 2nd Round: Coding question. Given an array with unsorted integers, move all even on left side and all odds on right side. After that sort even in increasing order and sort odd in decreasing order 3rd Round: Lunch. Overivew of the team and asking questions about what you are looking for and why are you leaving your current company 4th Round: Coding question. 1) Write a function which has 2 input (word, random_string), return true if you can construct the word from random_string or else return false. For e.g: "apple", "sxryppaelwb" will return true but "apple", "srxypaelwb" will return false. 2) Write a function which will sort the input word list into decreasing order of string length only if that word can be constructed from random string. 5th Round: Basic Logical question. 1) stack increasing decreasing question & code 2) ps aux | grep "myscript" related question.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

They initially said that they were going to give me an offer. A week later the recruiter called back and said the team was going a different direction. It really left a poor impression of Yahoo. Some things may have been out of their hands as Yahoo recently layed off over 10% of their force. Still I would have liked the truth rather than giving me some lame answer. Other than that the interview itself was average.

Recruiter/Sourcer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Yahoo (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Both interviewers were very friendly. I was able to ask straightforward questions. It lasted about 1.5 hours with two people. A Director and a Lead Recruiter. Both had been with Yahoo for several years and shared a lot of insight with me.

Interview Questions

• What was my sourcing process? What is my best sourcing method? How would I source a Mobile Engineer (Boolean)? Where are my sources? What was my hardest role to source for?   Answer Question

Senior Internal Tools Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

This was for a senior DPS (Internal Tools) Dev role. Phone interview: Got a call from a senior member of the DPS team. We started by chatting about the team, technologies, projects in-progress, etc. He then asked some questions regarding my resume, things I'm doing in my current job, etc. Then on to coding/algo questions using collabedit. In the last 10 minutes of the interview I was able to ask questions about the team, work environment, etc. All in all, I'm definitely more excited about this opportunity now talking to my interviewer (who seemed pretty cool) and hope to get a chance with an on-site interview...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Yahoo (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

It was second round, telephonic call for 1 hr. The interviewer was a Korean and I was asked two algorithmic Questions. He was expecting me to code in front end languages, but i do not know that as i was just writing code in c++. Its a reject after two days. It was for Front end position, but i dont know that.

Interview Questions

• How many binary 1's are there in a given number and also Lowest common ancestor.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Two phone calls both technical, asking SQL questions and simple tree traversal questions. Also asked scenario questions and how I would analyze the data and go about solving the problem. About a week later I got an email to be brought on site. They pay for airfare, good, and taxis. Once I got there (on Friday for "Yahoo Days"), I did a coding challenge then talked to three members of the team I was applying for. There was a mixer at the end of the day where you're able to talk with other applicants and some employees. My interview was not technically intensive, but others who were interviewing said there interview was almost all coding questions.

Interview Questions

• Basic tree traversal questions with an alteration to a red black tree   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

The event is called Yahoo! Day, in which almost all candidates are new grads. There were three one-hour technical interviews. The interviewers are all very polite and nice. However in my case Yahoo's recruiters are not professional at all. After the onsite interview I sent them 5 emails to follow up but got zero reply. It has been almost 2 months now.

Interview Questions

• Assume you are designing a CocoaPod package managing system. Try to illustrate how you would resolve package dependencies.   1 Answer
    • Given a set of true statements, for example "A = B", "A = C", "C = E", and a set of false statements, like "A != C", "B != E". Test if the overall result is true.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied through University Job fair.Yahoo team evaluated my resume and called me onsite for 45 mins screening round.Interview was based on trie data strcuture somewhat similar to Gobble game. No contact/email from recruiter after this round even after sending a follow up email.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Yahoo (Berkeley, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied for summer internship at my college career fair. Scheduled an on-site interview the next week. The process was an 1-on-1 interview with a current Yahoo software engineer. Asked about features and specialty of my most comfortable language (which is Java), and then straight onto coding questions.

Interview Questions

• How to convert a binary search tree into an ordered doubly linked list?   Answer Question
    • How to find out the second most frequent integer given an array of integers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Interview started with a few simple CS and Linux based questions, like one liners. The interviewer was nice and polite, asked about my experience and explained a bit about his team and his role etc. Then went into a programming question, which was easy to average question, but I messed in dealing with array and indexes, so didn't finish the solution in time, he helped me find the mistake and also told me the approach is correct, but there is a small mistake in juggling with indexes in the array operation. As we were user coderpad.com, I have to execute solution right there, so issue was obvious, if its a google doc or collabedit issue wouldn't be found so easy. I was pleased with the experience and interviewer's team, but bad luck.