Yahoo

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Engineer

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Yahoo in March 2014.

Interview Details – To put in one sentence - Interviewing at Yahoo! is just waste of your time. Don't do it unless you have nothing better to do. I had 2 phone screens. The first one was simple coding questions and the second one was just a casual chat with the hiring manager. It took them 3 weeks to do these interviews. After that, I was invited onsite to speak with 5/6 people. Again, 3 weeks to get this one scheduled. I cleared this interview and was told by HR that she would present my case to the hiring committee. After 2 weeks, I was told that the hiring committee had rejected. WTF! - rejected for what ? clearing all interviews with the team? The process took 8+ weeks. One funny thing though - in almost each email - HR would ask me to let her know if I had changed my mind re: joining Yahoo!. I mean, do you really want to join Yahoo! or not?

Interview Question – Coding, projects I had worked on, some problems which the team was working on, etc. nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Yahoo in February 2009.

Interview Details – HR interview
Hiring Manager interview
Team interview
HR calls back if hiring manager is interested.

Interview Question – tell me about yourself.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – any first offer HR gives, they are ready to go upto 10% without effort...so ask for 15%-20% more.

Engineering Interview

Engineering
San Francisco, CA

The process took 4 days - interviewed at Yahoo in June 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed with another member of the team via phone. Was able to cover most of the language questions without too much difficulty, but then began to trip on questions about design patterns and specific algorithms. Unfortunately most of the jobs that I've had have been pretty elementary in terms of code design and usage, and so I was less prepared for that than I should have been. Did not get a request for a 1:1 interview.

Interview Questions

• What are the differences between a linked list and an array?   Answer Question
  • What's the difference between passing by reference and passing by value?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Difficult Interview

Engineer

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in January 2010.

Interview Details – manager is not good but the rest of the team asked proper questions

Interview Question – How would you know the highest value using binary?   View Answer

Engineer

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Yahoo in March 2009.

Interview Details – Hiring manager called and talked about the position, it was in the advertising engineering goroup. Spoke to him for abouit 30 mins and found i wasnt a good fit. They asked me some random JSP questions.

Interview Question – What kind of work do you want?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Engineering

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in May 2008.

Interview Details – There were two rounds of telephonic interviews. These were mostly technical, focusing on UNIX and systems programming concepts. After a couple of days the HR scheduled an onsite interview.

The interview started around afternoon and consisted of 4 rounds of technical and 1 manager interview. At the end of the rounds, the HR came and made the offer.

Interview Questions

Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo in April 2010.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview was about 40 minutes and was mostly basic Java programming questions.
On site interview had five interviewers including hiring manager and senior member of the group. Many questions were related to describing / pseudo coding various search algorithms.

Interview Question – describe and compare the following page replacement policies: FIFO, LRU, LFU, Clock.   Answer Question

Engineer

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Yahoo in February 2010.

Interview Details – Got the email and then they scheduled the interview onsite. I was very excited after getting offer from Yahoo. My interview was good. They asked some questions from Perl and MySql. I was pretty comfortable in this. Something went wrong and they didn't offer.

Interview Question – inner join in MySql   Answer Question

Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Yahoo in March 2008.

Interview Details – Overall, it was a good experience. The on-site recruiter was very helpful and prompt on communication.
Phone interviews and face to face interviews are mostly on the technology and skills. The interviews are very objective. It can be tough, if you don't know what you are talking about.
Interview process consisted several phone interviews, with different people. Yahoo! is very careful on inviting people for face to face interview, at least that was my feeling. The face to face interviews can be lengthy, be well rested and prepared before the interview.

Interview Question – None of the questions I felt very difficult. But, the interviewers are very knowledgeable.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Salary and bonus are negotiable, but in a limited scale. Instead, if you are planning stay with Yahoo, try to get stock option instead. Since the stock price is low, ask on dollar amount. I could see the stock price go up in the next couple of years.

Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo in March 2008.

Interview Details – initial communication is very fast. Time between initial approach and the interview is very fast. I liked the way they were so committed to the timeliness.

There was initially a phone interview followed by onsite one. Onsite has 4-5 interviews, generally covering wide range of topics like programming skills, problem solving ability, puzzles and some design questions.

Interview Question – How to detect a common node given two linked lists??   View Answers (2)

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!