Yahoo

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Yahoo in April 2010.

Interview Details – There were 2 phone interviews, which were used to narrow down and identify the team that would conduct the in person interviews. In person there was a series of 4 one on one interviews, back to back, over the course of a few hours. No deeply technical or theoretical quizzes, just enough questions to asses my actual familiarity with front end development and willingness to work on the team, continue to learn, etc.

Interview Question – How would you design a "buddy list" for a user who could have thousands of buddies?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate much, but the opportunity was probably there.

Very Easy Interview

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Yahoo in August 2010.

Interview Details – Be yourself. The most obvious thing in a group presentation is when you try to fake it or be somebody you're not.

Interview Question – I was told to give a presentation. People had laptops and cellphones during my presentation, at this point I realized it didn't matter much so I rattled on through my presentation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much, I asked for a 5% more and was shut down, I asked for more options and was told no. They told me, I was given the average salary on the team.

Very Easy Interview

Front End Engineering Interview

Front End Engineering
Sunnyvale, CA

The process took 4 days - interviewed at Yahoo in April 2010.

Interview Details – javascript closures, events and some hmtl/css stuff. easy

Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview Details – I received a phone call from their recruiter and scheduled me for interview.

I was first interviewed by their senior front end developer.
His questions were mostly about terminologies which I didn't really like e.g. 'what is DDT?'. I failed to answer some of the trivial questions he asked. I don't think those trivial questions were necessary when your doing development work in the real world because you can easily google the answers and terminologies.

I was then interviewed by their engineering manager. The questions were mostly technical and situational in which I think I did a great job answering them.

Interview Question – What is DTD and a bunch of other objective type questions.   Answer Question

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!