Yahoo India

Updated Feb 4, 2015

3.4

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Yahoo India in November 2014.

It was a campus interview. The hiring process began with a written round covering 30 questions to be answered in 60 minutes. It had questions on probability, puzzles, general aptitude, Linux, OS, DS, DBMS, Algorithms and other subjects.
    The shortlisted candidates had to go through a Lab test which had two questions to be coded in two hours. This was the toughest round imo.
    After the coding round, another shortlist was announced for interviews. I had two rounds of technical and one HR interview. They asked questions on data structures, operating systems, networks, dbms and projects.
    HR round was general scenario based questions and discussion about the profile etc. Finally the results were announced and I was offered full time job :)

Interview Questions
    • Given an array whose length is not known, write a function that takes the array as a parameter and returns the number of 0s.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. I was a campus hire.

Systems Engineer Interview

Campus interview.
    First round : Technical and aptitude. Written test. ( 15 people cleared ) Technical questions were from almost all concepts like DBMS , Networking , OOP , Unix.
    2 nd round : Programming . ( 7 cleared )We were supposed to code on linux platform . We used fedora . Scripting( perl , python etc) is more preferred than OOP languages. Questuons were simple , you need not code compketely , but you should give correct and optimized aproach.
    3rd and 4th round : Technical interview. Mainly unix + networking.( 4 cleared ).

Interview Questions
    • Programming question : To read a log file containing date and time stamp , IP , frequency . Output the IP in sorted order based on frequency.   Answer Question

C++ Backend Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo India in August 2014.

This experience was the first of its kind, and hopefully the last. The interviewers were confused and clueless throughout pretty much the entire process.

A recruiter contacted me about this open position with Yahoo! India, and asked if I would be interested to apply. Over a month later, the recruiter informed me that I had been shortlisted for the interview, by when, I had nearly forgotten about them.

Moving on, there were three rounds of interviews. The first interviewer looked and behaved like a kid fresh out of college. He would ask me to write code for something, then moments later get distracted and ask me another question, then a while later, get distracted again and ask me to go back to the previous code, and then repeat this pattern. After a while, he had so many questions left hanging that I could sense his nervousness, despite him being the interviewer!

The next round had two interviewers, and after a while, I could sense that both the interviewers wished they were elsewhere. One of them was standing by the door, swinging and jumping around, and he was the only one asking questions. The other interviewer was watching him most of the time, and did not ask any question.

They took us for lunch after this, and their conduct during the lunch was disappointing to say the least. They were freely discussing things like "The last time we went for lunch was when XYZ left Yahoo several months ago", and "Did you see that joke I forwarded you yesterday?", and then proceeded to actually pass their phone around so that all of us could see the aforesaid joke!

The last round of interview was okay, but I was bemused by the disinterest shown by the interviewer in their own company. At one point, he even revealed to me that of late, Yahoo has been following some strange policies, and nobody knows how long their job would last. I did not even ask him for anything remotely related to this topic. It looked like he was using the interview process to vent out his frustration with the company's policies.

The questions were predominantly focused on things like compiler flags, UNIX commands, etc. While I understand that these things are essential for a C++ Developer to know, it was somewhat bizarre that these were considered vastly more important than the ability to write C++ code!

Interview Questions
    • How many different compiler error messages have you seen before?   View Answer

Sales Trainer Interview

Written and 3 rounds of interview with management

I did not negociate

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Yahoo India.

Had a very bad experience with Yahoo India. Eventhough lot of people suggested its a sinking ship and not to apply with them, I went ahead. I had two telephonic and 4 technical rounds. The HR informed me that the feedback was positive and they will make an offer soon. Then they ask me to interview with another team. The manager of that team asks me a design question and when I attempt to answer them, he gets up, tells me my basics are flawed, switches off the light of conf room and walks away. Them the HR asks me to interview with another team. After completing 11 rounds (went on for 3 months), they still havent made a decision and they blame the upper management.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions - 25 horses race, tic tac toe etc. Mostly out of careercup website   Answer Question

Service Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Yahoo India.

I was recruited through campus recruitment program. There were several rounds. Firstly we had a paper and pen test. That was followed by coding round. Then we had around 3 technical interviews and 1 HR interview.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hyderābād (India)
    Anonymous Employee in Hyderābād (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo India.

Telephonic discussion with the interviewer , questions were related to C++, unix, perl, php, mysql, apache configurations, OS concepts etc

Interview Questions
    • Mostly object oriented questions in depth and c++ questions were too advanced one.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

I applied online – interviewed at Yahoo India in September 2013.

Applied online at Yahoo.com to various PM positions. Then, emailed the Recruiter (email ID mentioned in the JD) with the list of positions applied to, cover letter and resume. Then, followed-up once via email three weeks later. Finally a response! After a quick chat with the recruiter, she scheduled the first round telephonic with a peer PM. This was followed by a call with the Hiring Manager (Director of Product) the next week. They then flew me to Bangalore for the onsite interviews the following week. The overall coordination of the telephonic rounds, flight booking, night stay and onsite interviews was sloppy, to say the least. I was put on a flight that reaches Bangalore at 12 midnight, only to reach and stay at their shady guesthouse at 2AM (managed just 4 hours of sleep prior to day-long grilling).

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected: No behavioral, lateral-thinking or management questions at all throughout the interview process! All were more or less technical and architectural questions.   Answer Question
    • What was your overall experience with the Hiring team?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

One MCQ round 30 questions..
    After that 2 coding rounds .
    1 question based on string matching and other from dynamic programming.
    After that technical interviews

Interview Questions
    • Lots of theoretical questions based on oops, dbms , operating systems etc..
      then algos to find LCA, linked list reversal etc..

Answer Question

Software Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Yahoo India in August 2013.

Campus Hiring- it involved three rounds in total. a general aptitude test, tech. interview and lastly HR interview.(all interviews were 1:1 ). Aptitude test was the most difficult, as the questions were difficult and the number of candidates to be screened was low. whole hiring process took around 6-7 hours.

Interview Questions
    • I had programmed a small tic tac toe game with different difficulty levels. i was asked to prove that it was ideal( undefeatable in the most difficult level ) or to suggest changes to make it better.   View Answer
    no negotiations.. it was a position of intern for a 2-3 months.