Yahoo

Updated Feb 22, 2014

Getting the Interview

16 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Yahoo in April 2007.

Interview Details – Yahoo took a long time to give a decision after the interview. I got one phone interview and one on-campus interview. The phone interview lasted about 20 minutes and was asked coding questions. The on-site interview consisted of both personality questions and coding questions. The HR rep who organized the interview was very prompt in all requests and setting things up. However, I got the official offer about a month after my second interview. Basically, the manager didn't finalize on his end after the interview. I usually push for decisions by the end of the week, but Yahoo chose to drag it out to the very end. However, in the end, it all worked out.

Interview Question – Write a function given x, the function returns the xth number in the Fibonacci sequence.   View Answers (4)

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo in April 2013.

Interview Details – The interview was via phone by the hiring manager

Interview Question – Write an algorithm that identifies a prime number from a list of numbers ranging 0-100.   View Answers (2)

Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in September 2013.

Interview Details – The interview was alright. they did ask some pretty tough questions though, but all of them were based on my resume. you should really know everything you put on your resume. Other than that, there is definitely coding, but they let you choose what language you want, I chose java and c.

Interview Question – Implement a Sparse Matrix   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in April 2013.

Interview Details – Got an email asking for availability, followed by an email with a scheduled phone interview. Got asked a few resume based questions followed by a couple technical questions. Was then emailed a date for second and final phone interview. Asked more high level big data questions and some behavioral. Was told I would have a decision by the end of the week. After emailing the recruiter back and forth about 2-3 times over the course of two weeks, got the not interested email.

Interview Question – How do you remove a node from a singly linked list, given only that node? (no head)   View Answer

Intern

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview Details – Yahoo came to campus for a career fair where I talked to them. We then set up a 30 minute phone interview

Interview Question – It honestly wasn't that difficult. They asked a question about object oriented programming and a simple reverse a string in place.   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in January 2014.

Interview Details – Contacted by University recruiter. Got phone interview within a week

Interview Question – There's only one coding question, which is about implementing peek() method in ArrayList iterator (get the value of next without moving iterator to next element). You can only use the next() method in the implementation.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in March 2013.

Interview Details – I dropped my resume in university career fair. And I was contacted quickly after that. I got two interviews, both phone screens. The employers are from mail team, but they do have strong accent. I usually ask them to repeat several times to understand the questions. Both of them are really tech based. I expected some chatting about experiences and backgrounds, but the both interviewers just start right with technical questions.
Questions are broad and basic ones.
the difference between POST and GET.
Find unique ints in an array
something about html css and server side stuff.
The second interviewer asked more than 10 questions during the call.

Interview Question – How to deal with large traffic on a website.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo in January 2008.

Interview Details – The interview didn't focus on the boring algorithm/coding problems. We spent most time discussing the open problems related to the group's work. It's more flexible and it's not possible to prepare. I like this format though. I was feeling relaxed and it was like chatting.

Interview Question – What is the largest possible number of internal nodes in a red-black
tree with black-height k? What is the smallest possible number?
  View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in August 2010.

Interview Details – Had a phone interview because I was going to do a study abroad internship for a short period during the summer. Great communication skills asked me questions about my team work.

Interview Question – Please describe how you overcame an issue on a team related issue?   Answer Question

Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Yahoo in May 2012.

Interview Details – I was referred to by another intern and sent my curriculum vitae through him. I received a phone call within 2 days. He asked me all sort of questions from my curriculum vitae, about my experiences and was impressed by my previous internships.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not negotiable

Interviews for Top Jobs at Yahoo

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Yahoo Intern interview questions and advice. All 16 interview reviews posted anonymously by Yahoo employees and interview candidates.