Yahoo Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

Software Engineering Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Yahoo.

I had 2 interviews on campus after meeting a recruiter in a job fair. My gpa was actually lower than their standards but they gave me an interview anyways. They asked me resume questions as well as give me an opportunity to explain why my gpa was low (3.4). Afterwords they asked me simple questions like reversing a linked list, and then asked me questions like what other offers do you have? I was then given the 2nd interview immediately afterwards, to which they asked 3 programming questions, like parsing a regular expression given a string, and designing monopoly and how to determine if a list has no duplicates.

Interview Questions
    • Design Monopoly.
      Given 2 strings, figure out if one is a reg expression of the other.

examples:
      Y-hoo, Yahoo -True
      Y*o, Yahoo -> True
      **hoo ->Yahoo True
      ya-* -> yahoo True

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Yahoo.

It was one hour interview, went through my resume and started with a coding question over collab edit and HTML, CSS and Javascript questions. More questions on HTML and JavaScript.

Interview Questions
    • Give the top ten elements of the given array   View Answer

Software Development, Technical Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yahoo.

Met Yahoo in my school career fair. They set up an interview immediately in the HQ at Sunnyvale. The interview was 2 rounds.

The first round was interviewed by team member on basic data structures. Ex: Implement a stack. I was given white board to write code.

The second round was interviewed by team manager. This round was tough. Asked about 6-7 programming questions and I was asked to write code on the white board. I was asked to design Tic Tac Toe game library and write unit tests for each function.

The interview process went on pretty smooth. Very positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • Consider 1 million strings with each of string having 1 million characters. Find the minimum number of characters to read such that you can identify each string uniquely.   View Answers (3)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Yahoo.

applied online and got a reply few days later.
    Then setup for a phone interview.
    I got a phone interview for an hour.
    I was asked to solve three coding questions, string sorting, simple linked list, and string hashing.

Senior Editor Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Yahoo.

Yahoo has you interview with your future potential peers, which is interesting and somewhat effective. Deadline with HR was a bit of a nightmare though. When the offer finally came in, the back and forth was not fun at all. They're a big corporation that it's easy to get lost in. Wouldn't recommend them too highly as they're a bit directionless still, even in the Marissa Mayer era.

Software QA Engineer Interview

Straight to the point with the phone screen, no background chatting, no basic concept explaining, just two coding questions to deal with. The whole phone screen process took about one hour.

Software Engineer Interview

The interviewer was a male and very polite. First he asked something from my resume such as what is my favorite projects. And then we started the technical questions. The technical questions covered a algorithm problem, a c programming problem, some basic stuff about STL in C++ and some other practical questions such as writing a bash. My performance was very bad.

Interview Questions
    • Write a example to show the use of bitset container in C++   Answer Question

Senior Internal Tools Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Yahoo in March 2015.

This was for a senior DPS (Internal Tools) Dev role.
    Phone interview: Got a call from a senior member of the DPS team. We started by chatting about the team, technologies, projects in-progress, etc.
    He then asked some questions regarding my resume, things I'm doing in my current job, etc. Then on to coding/algo questions using collabedit.

In the last 10 minutes of the interview I was able to ask questions about the team, work environment, etc. All in all, I'm definitely more excited about this opportunity now talking to my interviewer (who seemed pretty cool) and hope to get a chance with an on-site interview...

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Yahoo in March 2015.

About 1 month after the career fair, HR contact me to schedule a phone interview. The guy interviewed me is a senior engineer at Yahoo. He did not ask about the project and ask me two algorithm quesitons. And both of them are very easy. It has been 2 weeks after the phone interview. I am still waiting for the result.

Interview Questions
    • Determine whether there is a loop in a linked lisk. Find the head of the loop. The questions are quite easy, and I figure out and write down in 15 minutes. However, the HR did not contact me after the interview.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Yahoo.

Sat down for an afternoon of interviews after a few phone calls. The first interviewer did not know he was interviewing me until the morning of the interviews and took 15 minutes out of the 30 given for a technical interview asking about my background. He was unable to articulate his question about Hash tables. Outside of this poor experience, the other three interviewers were very interested in using the full 45 minutes provided to them to ask a question, and then dive deeper into space/time questions.

Interview Questions
    • Sample Questions:
      1 - Given a pre-order traversal of a BST represented by an array of integers, generate the tree
      2 - Given an infinite number of servers with an infinite amount integers on each server, return the median integer. Assume a finite amount of space and time.

Answer Question