Yahoo

Yahoo Interview Questions

Updated Nov 12, 2014
Updated Nov 12, 2014

Software Engineer Interview

Interview for a position of software engineer in the ads & data team.

First part - coding exercise
    build a Boggle game and output the longest word
    use whatever language you want
    time to do the exercise: 1 hour

Second part - 3 interviews (white board coding)
    interviews related to your team
    Normal coding exercises (databases, regex and trees for me)

Interview Questions
    • Regex Question
      Build a function that takes one string and one regex expression in inputs and output true if the string matches the regex expression.
      string: a-z
      regex: a-z + * (where '*' matches 0 or more character and '+' matches one character)
        Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo.

Two phone interviews then got an on Site interview.
    1. design a calculator using C++

2. design a airport using C++
    3. Dynamic programming question
    4. data structure

Internship Interview

Phone interview, ask to implement hashtable with C. The interviewer is friendly and talktive, but It is suprising that they ask to use C. I was a little stuck and did not finish it quickly enough.

Program Manager Interview

Full day interview with 5 different people. Interviews were conducted one at a time in the same conference room. Didn't get the idea that interviewers prepared or coordinated their questions.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo.

2 phone interviews.

I had a negative experience. The person who contacted me asked me if I could interview at a certain time, during which I replied I had an exam and offered many other times for an interview on following days. After a week of no response, I followed up, and was told I will be receiving phone interviews at times other than ones I had listed.

The first interview went well, but the second interviewer seemed to think I was incompetent and disregarded my suggestions for the solution even though he later suggested the same things.

Software Engineer Interview

I went to my university job fair and talked to Yahoo recruiter. They were interviewing people the next day and decided to give me a chance. I did not make it through the interview tho because I did a bad job and did not really have enough time to get prepared.

Software Engineer In Champaign Interview

I applied online and got one phone screen and a on site
    the phone interview focus on really wide range, with a very easy code question and a very hard question. i didn't figured out the hard question but they still give me the onsite
    onsite had 4 technical interview and an addition with manager
    the technical interview arent that hard, espically the really coding question are really easy
    it covered exactly the four topics they send to me before so it's easy to prepare too
    but I didnt get the offer probably because I sucked the oo design questions and not good at sql

Interview Questions
    • nothing really unexpect. one interviewee ask me something about different shell in linux which I completely don't know   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Yahoo.

I received my first interview through a friend who already worked at the company. She introduced me to a director who initially had one of his employees interview me for a position on his team. While I was not a good fit for that team the director connected me with another group at Yahoo. I restarted the interview process with them and was successful.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was not particularly difficult. There were questions about the process behind specific mathematical methods. However, the majority of questions asked how I would approach particular situations at work. Ex. If you need to inform a business unit about the success of x what would you do.

One of the more difficult questions was:
      Use this white board to explain how multiple regression works.
        Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview Questions
    • Combine two lists of Object with different size into one   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yahoo in October 2014.

First round of Phone interview.Questions were general , More on Resume.
    Also this position is for a Big Data Team in Champaign,Illinois.
    1 ) Basics of Java
    2 ) One Design question on how you would design chess board
    3 ) basics on sql - creating a table,joins,having by,aggregate functions
    4 ) Basics on unix/linux
    5) One question on scalability

Interview Questions
    • Some puzzles , may be the question was easy , just couldn’t understand the language - how would you distribute 1000 potatoes in 10 baskets.   Answer Question