Yahoo

Relevance Date Difficulty

Technical Interview

Technical

Interviewed at Yahoo

Interview Details – 2 telephonic interviews.Questions related to team asked.Response of HR really slow.2 telephonic interviews.Questions related to team asked.Response of HR really slow.2 telephonic interviews.Questions related to team asked.Response of HR really slow.

Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer Interview

Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in June 2014.

Interview Details – 1 Phone Screen with my perspective manager. I joked around and made sure that Yahoo did not support IE6 and asked questions about their development processes.

1 Technical Phone Screen with Senior Engineer. He asked me to make a form from scratch that did something.

1 Onsite interview - came in for 3 hours and met the team. It was sorta informal. Answered questions and joked around. Didn't know how to do some of the questions but figured it out in a couple mins by bouncing ideas off of my interviewers. They look for how fast you can adapt and how interested you are about the coding language and technologies. Also from UI and design perspective they look at how you code things to make it easier for the user.

One of my interviewers mentioned something he saw on hacker news and I had seen the same thing the day before so we chatted about it.

I also think that attitude counts hugely at Yahoo. There are no egos in my team. Your personality has to match too.

I wasn't asked any difficult algorithm questions like they do at FB and Google, it was all just stuff directly related to the job. You don't have to be a genius to work here, but if you put in some hard work and learn from the people smarter than you then you will go far. Don't be off put by the big name.

Interview Question – How would you handle correcting a mistake that your manager made?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate. Yahoo's benefits are seriously awesome. The website doesn't explain everything.

Technical Writer Interview

Technical Writer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview Details – Applied online. Contacted by HR. Conducted a 30-minute phone screen with Senior Technical Writer. He seemed enthusiastic to have me come in for an in-person interview.

No response - from anybody, including HR. No call backs, emails, or any form of communication. Dead air. Nothing, despite various attempts to contact them.

Highly unprofessional. The process died prematurely with no explanation. Frankly, the company is failing, and their star of relevance has faded long ago.

I'm happy I didn't move forward with them.

Interview Question – Just details regarding my background.   Answer Question

Software Engineer (Tech Yahoo Software Applications Dev Engineer) Interview

Software Engineer (Tech Yahoo Software Applications Dev Engineer)
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in May 2013.

Interview Details – Had 4 rounds of interview - 2 technical, 2 managerial. The technical interviews covered basics of programming and little challenging coding questions. Managerial rounds included discussions on interests, technical scenarios, architectural questions, etc.

Interview Question – Questions on Arrays, with reducing memory complexity and time complexity   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes, I negotiated, but they didn't go beyond a certain limit.

Summer Associate Interview

Summer Associate

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview Details – employee referral, two phone interviews, structured around role and fit for the team and love of Yahoo as a company; why Yahoo vs Google, Facebook, Etc. what's your favorite Yahoo product and why? What do you think of the company's current strategy?

Interview Question – business case and recomendations   Answer Question

Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer Interview

Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer
Burbank, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through my school's careers website. I received an email within a week to set up a phone interview. The phone interview questions covered my resume and interests. About a week later I had onsite interviews with 4 different people. Each interview lasted about 45 minutes. Questions were not overly difficult and focused on scripting and databases. Everyone was extremely nice and made me feel very comfortable throughout the interview process.

Interview Question – You have a 10x10x10 rubix cube. You paint the outside. How many cubes have paint on them?   View Answers (4)

Negotiation Details – No need to negotiate, was offered a very competitive offer.

Senior Manager Business Development Interview

Senior Manager Business Development
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in April 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and didn't think about it since Yahoo! gets hundreds of submissions per role. I was surprised to get a call a couple of weeks later from a recruiter. The recruiter call were basic screening questions and I was passed on to a phoner with the hiring manager. I chatted with her for about 30-minutes then got brought onsite for a loop style interview. I spoke with three peers, one manager above my level, and the hiring manger. I received an offer by the end of the week.

Interview Question – None. I prepped myself thoroughly for all of my calls. I knew my resume, accomplishments, and how I could support the company thoroughly. Interview questions were primarily scenario based i.e. "Can you tell me about a time you worked with a publisher." If you're prepared it's not too tough.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yahoo has set pay scales for their roles so compensation negotiation is limited outside of the senior executive level.

Associate Editor Interview

Associate Editor
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in May 2014.

Interview Details – Contacted by a recruiter through LinkedIn. Had an initial phone call with him and then was contacted by someone else setting up an in-person interview for the next week. The recruiter told me the job didn't have a specific job title yet (they were just looking for the perfect person regardless of experience level), but when the assistant set up the interview, she said it was for an associate editor and that was the only position they had available. Had the in-person interviews with two different people on the team – neither of whom it seemed like I would have worked with on a daily basis. One asked more technical and experiential questions, and the other seemed to be assessing my personality. The interviews went well and it seemed like I was more than qualified for the job, but I didn't hear back from either person, and when I followed up with the recruiter, he never responded to my email.

Interview Question – Everything was straightforward.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Engineer

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Yahoo in March 2014.

Interview Details – To put in one sentence - Interviewing at Yahoo! is just waste of your time. Don't do it unless you have nothing better to do. I had 2 phone screens. The first one was simple coding questions and the second one was just a casual chat with the hiring manager. It took them 3 weeks to do these interviews. After that, I was invited onsite to speak with 5/6 people. Again, 3 weeks to get this one scheduled. I cleared this interview and was told by HR that she would present my case to the hiring committee. After 2 weeks, I was told that the hiring committee had rejected. WTF! - rejected for what ? clearing all interviews with the team? The process took 8+ weeks. One funny thing though - in almost each email - HR would ask me to let her know if I had changed my mind re: joining Yahoo!. I mean, do you really want to join Yahoo! or not?

Interview Question – Coding, projects I had worked on, some problems which the team was working on, etc. nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
San Jose, CA

I interviewed at Yahoo in April 2014.

Interview Details – I had two phone screens. The first phone screen consisted of coding questions (how to print a singly linked list backwards) and the second phone screen was a conversation with the hiring mgr in which we talked about past projects I have worked on. These phone screens occurred over the course of 2 weeks. Next I was invited on site to speak with 4 people.

After 2 weeks I was told that I was not selected for the position.

Interview Question – how to print a singly linked list backwards   View Answer

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!