Yahoo Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 17, 2015

3.3

Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

Two round of phone interview were held. Since i am east coast. Timings were relatively comfortable. Phone interviewers asked to code on collabedit. It was nice experience. Genereal questions like: How to reverse a linkedlist etc were asked. Onsite round was 4 interviews 1 hour each. SOme of them were very vagfue. Gave a lot of positive feedback. HR was really bad. Gave no anwer for 6 weeks. When i asked repeatedly was finally told was rejected

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Yahoo (Champaign, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

I had two interviews one hour each. They asked questions mostly on data structures and past projects. Once I cleared the first round, I moved to the second round. They gave the result an hour after the second interview. Overall good interview.

Interview Questions

• Given a single linked list , how would you find the middle of the linked list?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview was pretty swift. Unlike people here mentioning about late reply from HR. I got reply within a week may be because of my other offer deadline. Had one phone screen, one coding challenge onsite and then 3 F2F interviews. I really liked the Yahoo office and culture there and will accept the offer.

Interview Questions

• Apache Pig Script, LCS type problem, Hadoop, Machine Learning   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

1 HR interview, 2 phone screens (included a coding exercise) after that i was called to Yahoo campus sunnyvale ! 6 1 hour interviews, 3 focussed on coding - (cant reveal exact questions, but here are a few you can use ... ) , 2 design, 1 culture fit - red black tree - array based algorithms. - binary search tree - common ancestor. - end to end how web works (including routers, DNS etc .. detailed ) - design a file based cache .. - design a distributed cache. - design concerns etc - one dynamic programming question A campus tour at the start is good .. awesome work environment, free food, all engineers were respectful and it seemed to be the right team ... I have an offer from couple of other companies like Amazon and linkedin .. i am more intersted in yahoo, unfortunately i did not get through :( I got a reject despite what i thought was a decent interview - i felt probably linkedin was much simpler and easy, amazon was average , yahoo turned out to be tough - but i will probably try again in future, the experience was awesome.

Interview Questions

• - end to end how web works (including routers, DNS etc .. detailed )   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

1 Phone Screen with my perspective manager. I joked around and made sure that Yahoo did not support IE6 and asked questions about their development processes. 1 Technical Phone Screen with Senior Engineer. He asked me to make a form from scratch that did something. 1 Onsite interview - came in for 3 hours and met the team. It was sorta informal. Answered questions and joked around. Didn't know how to do some of the questions but figured it out in a couple mins by bouncing ideas off of my interviewers. They look for how fast you can adapt and how interested you are about the coding language and technologies. Also from UI and design perspective they look at how you code things to make it easier for the user. One of my interviewers mentioned something he saw on hacker news and I had seen the same thing the day before so we chatted about it. I also think that attitude counts hugely at Yahoo. There are no egos in my team. Your personality has to match too. I wasn't asked any difficult algorithm questions like they do at FB and Google, it was all just stuff directly related to the job. You don't have to be a genius to work here, but if you put in some hard work and learn from the people smarter than you then you will go far. Don't be off put by the big name.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle correcting a mistake that your manager made?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate. Yahoo's benefits are seriously awesome. The website doesn't explain everything.

Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Burbank, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

I applied through my school's careers website. I received an email within a week to set up a phone interview. The phone interview questions covered my resume and interests. About a week later I had onsite interviews with 4 different people. Each interview lasted about 45 minutes. Questions were not overly difficult and focused on scripting and databases. Everyone was extremely nice and made me feel very comfortable throughout the interview process.

Interview Questions

• You have a 10x10x10 rubix cube. You paint the outside. How many cubes have paint on them?   5 Answers

Negotiation

No need to negotiate, was offered a very competitive offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn last October. Because I was considering quitting my PhD program, I pinged back. After that, we had 3 rounds of phone interviews. In January, the manager decided to move forward with an offer. I was ready to go there. However, in February, they decided to give me an extra onsite. I was surprised. Because Yahoo was my only offer at that time, I prepared my coding interview in a hurry. I performed badly in the onsite interview and planned to move on. So I prepared another month for some of exciting startups. I was able to get an offer from Yahoo at the end of March, but the processing takes so long that I got more offers from elsewhere. At that time, I am no longer interested in Yahoo, so I just wrote back a thankyou letter and let it go.

Interview Questions

• You have 2B URLs, how to find the 95th percentile of all the sizes.   1 Answer

The slow processing of reimbursement and offer makes me quite disappointed about the company.

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

Initially contacted by a recruiter through email. Had two phone rounds over a period of 3 weeks. Was called onsite for an in-person interview. The decision came in after a week. HR was very prompt and expedited the decision process.

Interview Questions

• The interviews were more sort of discussions on a wide range of topics like Distributed Systems, Networking, Algorithms, Data Structures   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate. I felt that the offer was generous.

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

There were 2 rounds of phone screen and then a subsequent 5-7 rounds of in person interview. The in person interview spanned for two days. They required 2 more rounds on top of 5 rounds for filling a gap in evaluation in earlier rounds.

Interview Questions

• Algorithm questions that included coding skill evaluation as well.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me first. Then I was bombarded with a number of different internal positions. Finally, they zeroed in on one position. I talked with the manager and then went in for the in-person interview. The position didn't quite seem to be a fit for what I wanted to do. However, recruiter contact just died up after then

Interview Questions

• There were a few algorithms questions that did not seem relevant to the job   Answer Question