Yahoo Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Yahoo (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

The worst interview I ever had was for a web developer position with Yahoo! I was interviewed by a team of arrogant web developers. None of the people who interviewed me had any people skills. They basically interviewed me one-on-one, one right after the other. They bombarded me with questions that you could tell they were working on solving at the moment, and when I couldn't answer them on-the-fly without researching the problem and searching the Internet for solutions, they showed me out the door as if I had wasted their time.

Interview Questions

• Database case study problem and object-oriented JavaScript questions.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in January 2010.

Interview

manager is not good but the rest of the team asked proper questions

Interview Questions

• How would you know the highest value using binary?   1 Answer

Technical Yahoo Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

Initially contacted for a telephonic interview, had a call with recruiting manager for about an hour and then had a second telephonic with one of the engineers and it was a technical round. Didn't hear back for a while and got a call after 3 weeks and was told that the position went on hold for a while and scheduled a second telephonic technical round for another one hour. I had couple of other offers at the time but was inclined towards yahoo since I'm going to get to work on hadoop at Yahoo. Hiring manager expedited the process after that, called in for an in person interview one day before a long weekend, it was 5 hour long interview around algorithms, data structures, C++ coding and misc perl and unix questions and some random db questions. Time just flew by and immediately after the long weekend was given an offer.

Interview Questions

• algorithm to give an optimal packaging (np hard packaging) rectangles into rectangles
      algorithm to solve sudoku (just looking for thought process)

Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to get a good offer in that down market, and was able to negotiate a signing bonus. But, it is tough to get a raise once settled in to the job, would suggest to negotiate for about 20% of what you are making and you may endup with at least 15% higher.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mexico City (Mexico)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo (Mexico City (Mexico)) in October 2010.

Interview

Highly organized and structured. Excellent and effective process.

Interview Questions

• Please provide an example on how to cope with difficult people.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

interviewed at Yahoo in June 2012.

Interview

Got contacted by a recruiter. Very informative and nice chat. Next was an interview over the phone, it wasn't that difficult. After that they invited me on site. Got interviewed by 4 Engineers. The questions were quite challenging so be sure to review all your CS course.

Interview Questions

• Question about circular linked list, how to detect it and where to find the origin of the loop.   2 Answers

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Yahoo in March 2013.

Interview

The interviews of Yahoo! are not regular. They may ask various kinds of questions. What I encountered is: How to design a survey website? After answering, he was not satisfactory and rejected me in 2 hours...

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

Applied through on campus recruiting, got an email requesting phone interviews a couple of weeks later. Interviews were with two different teams with 2 interviews each. Got the offer about a week after the interviews.

Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

1 HR interview, 2 phone screens (included a coding exercise) after that i was called to Yahoo campus sunnyvale !
    6 1 hour interviews, 3 focussed on coding - (cant reveal exact questions, but here are a few you can use ... ) , 2 design, 1 culture fit
    - red black tree
    - array based algorithms.
    - binary search tree - common ancestor.
    - end to end how web works (including routers, DNS etc .. detailed )
    - design a file based cache ..
    - design a distributed cache. - design concerns etc
    - one dynamic programming question

A campus tour at the start is good .. awesome work environment, free food, all engineers were respectful and it seemed to be the right team ... I have an offer from couple of other companies like Amazon and linkedin .. i am more intersted in yahoo, unfortunately i did not get through :( I got a reject despite what i thought was a decent interview - i felt probably linkedin was much simpler and easy, amazon was average , yahoo turned out to be tough - but i will probably try again in future, the experience was awesome.

Interview Questions

• - end to end how web works (including routers, DNS etc .. detailed )   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

Applied through College Career Fair, Had an onsite interview the next day. Did not get much time to prepare. It was a technical coding round. The interviewer directly started with questions. Was asked to write proper code. He gave some hints but I could not crack the problem.

Interview Questions

• Was asked questions only on n-ary trees. Had not prepared for it.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

1)Late reply from the univ recruiter
    2)Ask you any damn questions doesnt even realise its for intern who are here to learn and not answer questions which are for experienced people
    3)Doesnt even bother about what I did previously ,one questions and if you cant its over