Yahoo

528 candidate interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
San Jose, CA

I interviewed at Yahoo in April 2014.

Interview Details – I had two phone screens. The first phone screen consisted of coding questions (how to print a singly linked list backwards) and the second phone screen was a conversation with the hiring mgr in which we talked about past projects I have worked on. These phone screens occurred over the course of 2 weeks. Next I was invited on site to speak with 4 people.

After 2 weeks I was told that I was not selected for the position.

Interview Question – how to print a singly linked list backwards   View Answer

Software QA Engineer Interview

Software QA Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in July 2014.

Interview Details – 3 rounds of phone interviews + 1:1 onsite.
every phone interview even onsite, recruiter keeping asking how much time you put to coding. I honestly answered that question (as I am working for smaller company, it is project based, we have to do everything from end to end, so I said 50%-60% time for coding )

Interview Question – binary search tree, sorting, API, some SQL like questions (they are not using SQL)   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in January 2010.

Interview Details – 1 phone screen interview, followed by 3 days of 5-people interviews (+lunch interview) in a period of 1-2 weeks. Interviewed with people from 3+ teams different from the one that phone-screened me. Finally the team that phone-screened me hired me.

After I accepted the offer, while wrapping up my work in my previous company, the recruiter asked me to have a letter signed by my previous employer showing that I have completed everything we discussed when I gave them the 2-week notice, which I thought was unusual.

Interview Question – Questions were typical coding questions, i.e. shuffle cards, merge sort using files, traversing trees, C++ related questions. One of the interviewers (probably non-technical) asked me a physics brain teaser which was unexpected, I don't remember the details.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Although I got a decent increase from my previous job, I didn't negotiate and later found that I didn't get competitive compensation package. Advice: negotiate!

Engineer Interview

Engineer

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Yahoo in March 2014.

Interview Details – To put in one sentence - Interviewing at Yahoo! is just waste of your time. Don't do it unless you have nothing better to do. I had 2 phone screens. The first one was simple coding questions and the second one was just a casual chat with the hiring manager. It took them 3 weeks to do these interviews. After that, I was invited onsite to speak with 5/6 people. Again, 3 weeks to get this one scheduled. I cleared this interview and was told by HR that she would present my case to the hiring committee. After 2 weeks, I was told that the hiring committee had rejected. WTF! - rejected for what ? clearing all interviews with the team? The process took 8+ weeks. One funny thing though - in almost each email - HR would ask me to let her know if I had changed my mind re: joining Yahoo!. I mean, do you really want to join Yahoo! or not?

Interview Question – Coding, projects I had worked on, some problems which the team was working on, etc. nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Software Engineering

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview Details – On compus career fair, talked to recruiter about the courses and projects
Two months later got phone interview notification, then after a long time got scheduled exact phone interview to data&ads team.
In the phone interview, it's just some simple questions. In the 45 minutes talk, first talked about resume projects, then several basic java questions and data structure programming problems.

Interview Question – Something about how to optimize the programming solution if the memory is limited   Answer Question

Senior Engineering Manager Interview

Senior Engineering Manager

Interviewed at Yahoo

Interview Details – Discussed many technical questions. Past projects, architecture, detailed design pattern discussions An hour long session to build a system from scratch.
Many rounds of interview covering soft skills, presentation skills, leadership attributes, team management, talent acquisition, handling outsourced work were asked

Interview Question – Walk me through a employee let-go scenario in your team   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in January 2010.

Interview Details – First time through was quite a cursory interview. I had come from Microsoft, where I interviewed in the late nineties. During that time, Microsoft interviews were infamous for difficulty (now they would be akin to Google interviews). My Yahoo interview, by contrast, was cushy. When I came back to Yahoo a second time, I didn't even formally interview. We just set up the HR appointment and went through the motions. That explains how Yahoo has bloated in the way that it has.

Interview Question – Design a crossword puzzle generation algorithm   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Short and amicable

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in April 2014.

Interview Details – I was referred to Yahoo! by a friend after which the hiring manager reached out to me with regards to an opening in a team which sounded really interesting. Instead of the usual telephone chat, I decided to walk into Yahoo HQ. We had an hour long conversation/interview where we primarily spoke about issues one would face writing software on linux platforms - OOM killer, cgroups, /proc. I felt this to be one of the best conversations.

After this, I was called onsite. For Yahoo!, this moved pretty quick. The hiring manager made a very sincere effort to hasten the onsite process. I met 3 people for my onsite.

++ Onsite 1 ++
In a client/server scenario, serialize/de-serialize a balanced binary tree which is to be sent from the client to the server.
Linux system programming fundamentals including /proc filesystem, OOM killer

++ Onsite 2 ++
Linux system fundamentals - more /proc filesystem based questions
Structure of a binary (assuming ELF) on Linux.
Programmatically print the offset of a member inside a variable of struct type.
Virtual Memory fundamentals

++ Onsite 3 ++
Given a binary min heap, insert a new member.

Interview Question – Given a binary min heap, insert a new member.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – It wasn't a written offer. Yahoo! moves very slowly to send out a written offer after an onsite interview. This has come about after the introduction of a Googlesque hiring committee. For the hiring manager to get back to me after running the decision through the hiring committee would have taken anywhere between 2-4 weeks. I already had 2 other offers and had to make a choice. If it wasn't for this delay, I would have most certainly accepted Yahoo's offer.

Advertising Operation Interview

Advertising Operation

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview Details – a phone interview with HR, then two 1:1 interviews with managers and also a group interview with co-workers. Approval process takes a very long time. It takes 1 month waiting.

Interview Question – what do you think about yourself on managing pressure?   Answer Question

Senior Manager Customer Experience Interview

Senior Manager Customer Experience

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview Details – The path that I had was different than what Yahoo! recruiters are doing now. From what I've heard, the recruiting process has been amped up to resemble Google's process—not surprising since Marissa Meyer got in the helm. While the process is more rigorous than it used to be, it sounds like it is well organized, and having candidates meet more people helps both sides come to a better decision about whether to choose to hire and to work there.

Interview Question – This doesn't apply in my case, since when I came in I was referred by a friend who was to become my manager.   Answer Question

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!