Yahoo Interview Questions

Updated Oct 9, 2014
Updated Oct 9, 2014

Technical Writer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Yahoo.

Applied online. Contacted by HR. Conducted a 30-minute phone screen with Senior Technical Writer. He seemed enthusiastic to have me come in for an in-person interview.

No response - from anybody, including HR. No call backs, emails, or any form of communication. Dead air. Nothing, despite various attempts to contact them.

Highly unprofessional. The process died prematurely with no explanation. Frankly, the company is failing, and their star of relevance has faded long ago.

I'm happy I didn't move forward with them.

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yahoo.

employee referral, two phone interviews, structured around role and fit for the team and love of Yahoo as a company; why Yahoo vs Google, Facebook, Etc. what's your favorite Yahoo product and why? What do you think of the company's current strategy?

Service Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Yahoo in August 2014.

I was advised it was going to be a 2 months process.
    I had already contract for Yahoo so I went directly to the 5-hour interview with five interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • Interview was very technical, ranging from easy questions such as how to get the return code for a command ($?), how to find out swapping usage, how to troubleshoot an slow web site( cluster of 400 hosts) to how to troubleshoot one specific ads not showing on the web site. Questions about scripting, such as how parallelize a curl to different hosts. How to implement monitoring (either passive or active and why). Explain SSL handshake. Implement manually a log rotation. Troubleshoot machine rebooting very often. Unix internals: concept of stack,heap. Describe in detail your biggest accomplishments.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Yahoo.

On compus career fair, talked to recruiter about the courses and projects
    Two months later got phone interview notification, then after a long time got scheduled exact phone interview to data&ads team.
    In the phone interview, it's just some simple questions. In the 45 minutes talk, first talked about resume projects, then several basic java questions and data structure programming problems.

Interview Questions
    • Something about how to optimize the programming solution if the memory is limited   Answer Question

Software QA Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in July 2014.

3 rounds of phone interviews + 1:1 onsite.
    every phone interview even onsite, recruiter keeping asking how much time you put to coding. I honestly answered that question (as I am working for smaller company, it is project based, we have to do everything from end to end, so I said 50%-60% time for coding )

Interview Questions
    • binary search tree, sorting, API, some SQL like questions (they are not using SQL)   View Answer

Senior Manager Customer Experience Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Yahoo.

The path that I had was different than what Yahoo! recruiters are doing now. From what I've heard, the recruiting process has been amped up to resemble Google's process—not surprising since Marissa Meyer got in the helm. While the process is more rigorous than it used to be, it sounds like it is well organized, and having candidates meet more people helps both sides come to a better decision about whether to choose to hire and to work there.

Interview Questions
    • This doesn't apply in my case, since when I came in I was referred by a friend who was to become my manager.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Yahoo.

Applied online and heard back in a week. Had two phone interviews and then a onsite interview with four team members. All this happened withing 2 weeks.
    The process of getting approval for hiring took 6 weeks. The process is very long, just like Google. It goes through the hiring committee and then has to be approved by the Executive committee.

Associate Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo.

The usual: interview with recruiter (pretty standard), interview with a manager (standard questions), in-person for a 3 hour interview with 5 team members. Had to submit multiple writing samples and complete a writing exercise. The recruiter was very nice, but they took about 3 weeks to respond to me about whether I had received the job.

Interview Questions
    • What is a company that is marketed poorly, and how would you market it differently?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo.

Was contacted by a hiring manager after submitting my email during a campus career fair. Sent application and was soon asked by the hiring manager if I was available for a remote technical interview. Agreed on a time for later in the week. Come that time, I wait 15 minutes after I should be receiving a call before I contact the hiring manager asking whether the interview was still on. Hiring manager tries to say that we agreed on a different time all along despite our very clear email trail confirming and re-confirming our set time. Luckily I was available for the time that she claimed we were set for, but it left a very bad impression of unprofessional handling of the situation and disregard of my time (who doesn't apologize for their obvious mistake?).

Finally, during the actual interview, was paired with a current software development employee. Had a conversation portion in which we discussed my interests/experiences/etc. and then a technical phone portion where I was asked about various sorting algorithms and runtimes and then moved onto a google-doc esque environment where I was asked to implement mergesort.

The phone interviewer seemed very pleased with me and was suggesting I would be moving forward, but never heard from them again.

Interview Questions
    • Implement mergesort in language of choice (chose java)   View Answer

Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in June 2014.

1 Phone Screen with my perspective manager. I joked around and made sure that Yahoo did not support IE6 and asked questions about their development processes.

1 Technical Phone Screen with Senior Engineer. He asked me to make a form from scratch that did something.

1 Onsite interview - came in for 3 hours and met the team. It was sorta informal. Answered questions and joked around. Didn't know how to do some of the questions but figured it out in a couple mins by bouncing ideas off of my interviewers. They look for how fast you can adapt and how interested you are about the coding language and technologies. Also from UI and design perspective they look at how you code things to make it easier for the user.

One of my interviewers mentioned something he saw on hacker news and I had seen the same thing the day before so we chatted about it.

I also think that attitude counts hugely at Yahoo. There are no egos in my team. Your personality has to match too.

I wasn't asked any difficult algorithm questions like they do at FB and Google, it was all just stuff directly related to the job. You don't have to be a genius to work here, but if you put in some hard work and learn from the people smarter than you then you will go far. Don't be off put by the big name.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle correcting a mistake that your manager made?   View Answer
    I was able to negotiate. Yahoo's benefits are seriously awesome. The website doesn't explain everything.