Yahoo

Yahoo Interview Questions

Updated Nov 23, 2014
Updated Nov 23, 2014

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yahoo.

I went to my university job fair and talked to Yahoo recruiter. They were interviewing people the next day and decided to give me a chance. I did not make it through the interview tho because I did a bad job and did not really have enough time to get prepared.

Interview Questions
    • Combine two lists of Object with different size into one   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yahoo in October 2014.

First round of Phone interview.Questions were general , More on Resume.
    Also this position is for a Big Data Team in Champaign,Illinois.
    1 ) Basics of Java
    2 ) One Design question on how you would design chess board
    3 ) basics on sql - creating a table,joins,having by,aggregate functions
    4 ) Basics on unix/linux
    5) One question on scalability

Interview Questions
    • Some puzzles , may be the question was easy , just couldn’t understand the language - how would you distribute 1000 potatoes in 10 baskets.   Answer Question

Software Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yahoo.

Got interview from university career fair. Pretty average interview, asked lots of questions about implementation of stuff in Java. 30 minute algorithmic and that was it.
    Got an offer to move to next round but declined due to interests in other companies.

Software Engineer Interview

Submit my resume on a career fair. Got a technical phone interview after 2 months. the questions are about data structure and algorithm. e.g. class of tree in C++. and a coding questions concerning tree traversal DFS and BFS.

Other competing offer

Producer Interview

I had one face to face interview with my supervisor. It was a simple conversation where we talked about my experience and type of shows I produced. Within one week I had an offer. I was told that unfortunately, there was no room for negotiation of the contractor pay rate because the budget was set. Looking back, I'm not sure how locked in the rate was.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really difficult. I was asked to send the interviewer my reel.   Answer Question
    There was no room for negotiation of the contractor pay rate because the budget was set.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yahoo in September 2014.

Very bad experience. They sent a new hire for interview who has limited knowledge of anything. Very bad of Yahoo to send such a newbie for interview when I myself have 2+ years of industry experience. Also I was told that I will be reimbursed for cab fare which I never was.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in September 2014.

I received an email from the Corporate Connection of my college about Yahoo is hiring. I submitted my resume by replying to the email and got a phone interview the next day. Got the onsite interview in less than a week after the phone interview. The onsite interview was 6 hours long and free lunch was provided. Each interview section last about an hour, and it's either 1-1 or 1-2 but always only one person asking.

Interview Questions
    • Got database query questions and Unix commands questions which I don't quite remember   View Answer

Data Scientist Interview

First on-campus interview.

It started with very general question before becoming more technical. He didn't ask anything related to data analysis/machine learning, only algorithms.

The first one was:
    - considering a list of N numbers, return, if it exists, the number that occurs more than half the length of the list.
    - Design a random country generator with probability corresponding to the country's population.

The interviewer was nice and helpful.

Interview Questions
    • Not coming from a CS major, I struggled a bit for the algorithms.   Answer Question

Finance Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yahoo.

Start to finish - background review, fit questions, logic and case studies, finally a walk through of a model based on an example interviewer asked. Overall process took a few weeks but that was considered accelerated so I'm not sure what the real time frame normally is. Everyone was really really friendly and made sure I felt comfortable - which made it difficult to determine if I was a great fit or they were just nice.

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through how you'd build a financial model for forecasting X for Yahoo. I'm not sure I can share the X part but know that you'll need to know your modeling inside and out.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Met during career fair. Had a small interview on spot and one scheduled for the next day. Questions were simple. The questions were mostly about previous projects and based on resume.