Yahoo

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Mail and Anti-Spam Interview

Software Engineer Mail and Anti-Spam
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted 1-2 weeks afterwards. After 2 phone interviews, I was invited to an on site at Sunnyvale CA at the beginning of March. The interview consisted of 4 technical interviews and 1 Engineering Director lunch interview. The overall technical interview process was well expected with the exception of one disagreement:

One question was to determine the median of a stream of numbers at any given moment in time. I stated that, in the case of even amount of numbers, the median is the average of the middle pair of numbers after rearranged in ascending order. The Interviewer, at this moment, not only instantly denied this logic, but also got angry at me, stating that: "when there are even amount of numbers, the median can be either the lower or the higher element!". Although this was only a small disagreement, it made me feel like there is no room for discussions in the glorious halls of Yahoo!.

Also, be very aware of the lunch with the engineering director. In the emails, it was stated that the lunch will be a strictly casual non-interview process. However, the Engineering Director asked me technical questions including algorithms and data structures and behavior and personality questions like: what do you want to do in 3 years, why do you want to join mail/antispam, do you like machine learning, tell me some machine learning techniques, where did you come from (which country) and at what age? So be prepared.

Lastly and most importantly, it has been almost 3 months since the beginning of March, they still haven't given me the reimbursement for money spent on the interview. I was at Sunnyvale California for 3 days and spent roughly around 200-300$ for travel, food, and parking out of my own pocket. I have been emailing them every week regarding the reimbursement and all I get from the HR is that they will look up on it. It is almost three months now and all they can do is look up on it. I am only a student and it would be really nice to see that money again. T___T

Be prepared to spend money out of your own pocket when you get called from Yahoo! for an interview.

Interview Question – Determine the number of bits of a given number in O(1) time.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Yahoo in June 2014.

Interview Details – I have only done the phone screening of which I found the engineer to be very polite. He asked me the difference between an array and a linked list. He also asked me two technical questions

Interview Question – Find the least common ancestor in a tree where each node points to it's parent.   Answer Question

Associate Product Marketing Manager Interview

Associate Product Marketing Manager
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview Details – The usual: interview with recruiter (pretty standard), interview with a manager (standard questions), in-person for a 3 hour interview with 5 team members. Had to submit multiple writing samples and complete a writing exercise. The recruiter was very nice, but they took about 3 weeks to respond to me about whether I had received the job.

Interview Question – What is a company that is marketed poorly, and how would you market it differently?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intermediate Software Development Engineer Interview

Intermediate Software Development Engineer
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Yahoo in April 2014.

Interview Details – I got an employee referral and two weeks later a phone interview was scheduled. I was asked to write some code on collabedit and asked some unix questions related to process handling and regex.

In a week, I heard from them and was invited for on-site interview. I had 4 round of interviews. All interviews were one-to-one. I was asked all sort of questions ranging from explaining nature of my previous work experience, projects mentioned on resume, object oriented system concept, algorithms related to binary tree, dynamic programming, hashtables. I was required to do white-board coding but syntax was not the major concern as long as one could write pseudocode properly and explain it.

Things were very smooth till the onsite interview but moved slower after that. As is well known, the hiring process in Yahoo is too bureaucratic. It took nearly 4 weeks after onsite interview to hear about the final decision. But overall, the interveiw process was nice and smooth.

Interview Question – Given events with start and end time, merge all overlapping events with updated start and end time. The difficult part was optimization.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

Interviewed at Yahoo

Interview Details – Had 1 phone screen then invited to onsite. I felt that Interviewers are not interested in interviewing candidates. Some interviewers told me that he is not sure what to ask as he does not work in the team I was interviewing. worst HR and worst interview process.I was interviewed for back end position but one interviewer was asking front end questions.

Interview Question – what are the ways you can submit data to server   View Answers (3)

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Software Engineer Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview Details – Was contacted by a hiring manager after submitting my email during a campus career fair. Sent application and was soon asked by the hiring manager if I was available for a remote technical interview. Agreed on a time for later in the week. Come that time, I wait 15 minutes after I should be receiving a call before I contact the hiring manager asking whether the interview was still on. Hiring manager tries to say that we agreed on a different time all along despite our very clear email trail confirming and re-confirming our set time. Luckily I was available for the time that she claimed we were set for, but it left a very bad impression of unprofessional handling of the situation and disregard of my time (who doesn't apologize for their obvious mistake?).

Finally, during the actual interview, was paired with a current software development employee. Had a conversation portion in which we discussed my interests/experiences/etc. and then a technical phone portion where I was asked about various sorting algorithms and runtimes and then moved onto a google-doc esque environment where I was asked to implement mergesort.

The phone interviewer seemed very pleased with me and was suggesting I would be moving forward, but never heard from them again.

Interview Question – Implement mergesort in language of choice (chose java)   View Answer

Global Director Interview

Global Director
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Yahoo in March 2010.

Interview Details – Very polished and professional, but laid-back culture. Went through about 6 interviews after initial screening. Each person was inviting, casual but asked challenging behavioral interview questions. They were proud of working at Yahoo!

Negotiation Details – Not difficult - could negotiate salary.

Interaction Designer Interview

Interaction Designer
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview Details – I attended a Yahoo! designer event and got a chance to talk with other Yahoo designer and hand over my resume to one recruiter. After that I got email back from the recruiter about the design team would like to give me an on-site interview for 1 hour team presentation.

Interview Question – Mobile app design or web design, which one you'd like to do, why?   View Answer

Front End Interview

Front End

Interviewed at Yahoo

Interview Details – onsite: more than five people interview me including algrithm,js,html,css,some basic java questions. basicly, most questions are simple,all of them you can find online. but after coding,you will be asked to improve the performance, like running time and trading off.

Interview Question – details about os questions   Answer Question

Accounting Intern Interview

Accounting Intern

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview Details – Fairly standard process after the application. It began with phone interview, then back-to-back face-to-face interviews, followed by a panel interview. Nothing was unusual about any of these. Afterwards, I kept getting updates on where I stood in the process from local managers, as they knew their HR was usually very slow in reaching out toward potential candidates.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question