Yahoo Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2015

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Yahoo (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

Two technical interviews at a university job fair followed by a response in ~6 weeks. The interviews lasted about 45 minutes each and were conducted by members of various engineering teams. They were fairly amicable and involved the application of creative problem solving skills to various technical challenges such as detecting spam and dev-ops types stuff.

Interview Questions

• What features would you look to when detecting spammy behaviors   1 Answer

Senior Internal Tools Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

This was for a senior DPS (Internal Tools) Dev role. Phone interview: Got a call from a senior member of the DPS team. We started by chatting about the team, technologies, projects in-progress, etc. He then asked some questions regarding my resume, things I'm doing in my current job, etc. Then on to coding/algo questions using collabedit. In the last 10 minutes of the interview I was able to ask questions about the team, work environment, etc. All in all, I'm definitely more excited about this opportunity now talking to my interviewer (who seemed pretty cool) and hope to get a chance with an on-site interview...

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The interviewer was a male and very polite. First he asked something from my resume such as what is my favorite projects. And then we started the technical questions. The technical questions covered a algorithm problem, a c programming problem, some basic stuff about STL in C++ and some other practical questions such as writing a bash. My performance was very bad.

Interview Questions

• Write a example to show the use of bitset container in C++   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Yahoo (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

About 1 month after the career fair, HR contact me to schedule a phone interview. The guy interviewed me is a senior engineer at Yahoo. He did not ask about the project and ask me two algorithm quesitons. And both of them are very easy. It has been 2 weeks after the phone interview. I am still waiting for the result.

Interview Questions

• Determine whether there is a loop in a linked lisk. Find the head of the loop. The questions are quite easy, and I figure out and write down in 15 minutes. However, the HR did not contact me after the interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Two phone calls both technical, asking SQL questions and simple tree traversal questions. Also asked scenario questions and how I would analyze the data and go about solving the problem. About a week later I got an email to be brought on site. They pay for airfare, good, and taxis. Once I got there (on Friday for "Yahoo Days"), I did a coding challenge then talked to three members of the team I was applying for. There was a mixer at the end of the day where you're able to talk with other applicants and some employees. My interview was not technically intensive, but others who were interviewing said there interview was almost all coding questions.

Interview Questions

• Basic tree traversal questions with an alteration to a red black tree   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Yahoo (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

It was second round, telephonic call for 1 hr. The interviewer was a Korean and I was asked two algorithmic Questions. He was expecting me to code in front end languages, but i do not know that as i was just writing code in c++. Its a reject after two days. It was for Front end position, but i dont know that.

Interview Questions

• How many binary 1's are there in a given number and also Lowest common ancestor.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

Sat down for an afternoon of interviews after a few phone calls. The first interviewer did not know he was interviewing me until the morning of the interviews and took 15 minutes out of the 30 given for a technical interview asking about my background. He was unable to articulate his question about Hash tables. Outside of this poor experience, the other three interviewers were very interested in using the full 45 minutes provided to them to ask a question, and then dive deeper into space/time questions.

Interview Questions

• Sample Questions: 1 - Given a pre-order traversal of a BST represented by an array of integers, generate the tree 2 - Given an infinite number of servers with an infinite amount integers on each server, return the median integer. Assume a finite amount of space and time.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone interview. Then met with 4-5 of people in 1 day. It was pretty relaxed. They asked about some specific accounts and executions I had done in the past for advertisers.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo in February 2015.

Interview

Took about a month from start to finish. There were two interviews. Both were done over the phone along with an online collab coding tool. Both of the interviewers were extremely friendly and seemed like they genuinely wanted me to be comfortable enough to answer the questions properly. They were open to multiple solutions to a problem and appreciated the different (efficient) approaches to a problem.

Interview Questions

• First interview: Different ways to find first unique char from a given word, Big O Notation, Qualitative questions. Second interview: Find the 10000th Hamming number efficiently, design question   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

Applied through College Career Fair, Had an onsite interview the next day. Did not get much time to prepare. It was a technical coding round. The interviewer directly started with questions. Was asked to write proper code. He gave some hints but I could not crack the problem.

Interview Questions

• Was asked questions only on n-ary trees. Had not prepared for it.   Answer Question