Yahoo

Yahoo Interview Questions

Updated Mar 1, 2015
Updated Mar 1, 2015

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yahoo.

They interviewed me few months after talking me to at my college career fair. I had two interviews. The first one was one simple OO concepts and basic programming questions. The second one was more focussed on front end questions and I didn't know the front end concepts really well. It was pretty clear after that I wasn't going to make it after that. I had another deadline just a few days after that so heard back from them regarding it pretty soon.

Even though I didn't get through. I liked their overall interview process.

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in December 2014.

Having read through the reviews on glassdoor I wasn't expecting a smooth process either but since I am a local candidate I didn't have to go through the hassle of going through the travel/stay reimbursements etc. The reviews were true to the core that the recruitment process is a clear indication of the complete chaos in the company. I was invited for an onsite, after clearing the initial phone screen which was fairly a simpler algorithmic challenge. Just revisit your algorithms and data structures especially search, sort, list, trees, graphs, string manipulations etc. An advice to candidates is to not to over do the preparation as they come with a mind set expecting 'the' answer they were looking for and even if you out smart them with an efficient solution it's still frowned upon (which is rather untrue for most companies in the silicon valley).
    The onsite interviews were pathetic, with some interviewers jumping straight onto white-board coding without even a formal introduction. The questions ranged from generating random numbers between 1 and N given a function which returns 0 or 1 with equal probability (binary to decimal!), ways to provide contradicting assignment statements from a list of string assignments of the form ['a=b', 'c=d', 'd=b'] ['a!=d'] etc, string anagram matching, binary search trees. The engineers seemed technically sound/professional and will indeed provide you enough hints in case you run into troubled waters.

Interview Questions
    • A question involving indirect application of DFS on graph (to prove if a list of assignment statements contradict)   Answer Question

Inside Sale Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Yahoo.

Long hiring process. Mostly phone interviews. No group interviews. Be ready for a long wait time and lots of background checks. They do check on your former work history so don't lie on your resume.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was too difficult. Pretty standard interview. Having a good knowledge of the tech world and competitors is also a plus. Just be confident and direct.   Answer Question
    They tell you what they have in their budget and you dont have alot of options for wiggle room

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Yahoo in December 2014.

Recruiter was really nice she contacted me and i had one phone interview where I had to find out the last node of the tree(BFS) and search an element via binary search with one extra condition

Flew over to Sunnyvale excellent people, great campus, streamlined process. had 5 interviews along with lunch (big cafeteria). it was for mail/communications team
    1. parking design, using hash table check if two strings are Anagram
    2. given a string find whether it matches on a big string or not
    3. flattening and un-flattening a binary search tree
    4. one more logical or data structure question using iteration ( result should be in n). i think everybody in the room knows the celebrity but celebrity doesn't know anybody. how many celebrities in the room)
    5. storing a ton of sets with Transitive relation in tables so that look up is very easy.

Funny recruiter never contacted me again , i think i messed up two of the interviews.

Folks were very neat in their approach and very efficient, one of the easiest interviews I ever had.
    All the interviewers were really good
    Still cheers for the opportunity.

Technical Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Yahoo in December 2014.

After one or two days when my friend sent the referral email, I got the message from project manager, he arranged two round phone interviews with me, after that he informed me the result and talked to me regarding the potential projects I will work on. The whole process is good and project manager is very helpful. But it takes almost one month to get the final confirmation of the offer from HR.

Interview Questions
    • One open-end question: given the user behavior such as login logout time, etc, how to identify the bad users? Use any machine learning methods you can think of.   Answer Question
    • What is copy constructor in C++? Give some examples. What is virtual function in C++?   Answer Question
    • Design a C++ class that can parse string like "https://www.yahoo.com/:8080" into protocol: https, website: www.yahoo.com, port number:8080, no need to implement the actual method, just how to design the private member, public method, etc.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview for a position of software engineer in the ads & data team.

First part - coding exercise
    build a Boggle game and output the longest word
    use whatever language you want
    time to do the exercise: 1 hour

Second part - 3 interviews (white board coding)
    interviews related to your team
    Normal coding exercises (databases, regex and trees for me)

Interview Questions
    • Regex Question
      Build a function that takes one string and one regex expression in inputs and output true if the string matches the regex expression.
      string: a-z
      regex: a-z + * (where '*' matches 0 or more character and '+' matches one character)

Answer Question

Front End Engineer Interview

This is a on campus interview, the process of the interview is very straight forward, a guy look at my resume and ask about some detailed questions regarding it. Then we have worked on a question on a c++ question, which is simply find out all the prime number less than 65536. Then we discussed some web design skills which I've used in my projects. I think I did well, but didn't hear from them since then.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo.

Two phone interviews then got an on Site interview.
    1. design a calculator using C++

3. Dynamic programming question
    4. data structure

Software QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in November 2014.

Received email from Yahoo for phone interview. With conformed day and time. After 30 min wait for call, received email she asked for reschedule. And it continues this way 4 times. Finally she called me on 5th attempt. She talked all the time, much more than me...

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

interviewed at Yahoo in November 2014.

Robbed me of two months of my time! The interview process was straightforward - apply online; get called within a week for phone screen and then onsite interviews within the next two weeks. Then followed the hellacious deal over the decision process.

The onsite interviews were very easy when compared to other interviews. Three rounds of 45 minutes each and that was not that bad. And one was completely behavioral and resume oriented questions such as explain about the project, its architecture. One of the interviewers were informal and I did like the candid reply of "Yeah, my work is monotonous". Thought that I did good in my interviews. Got news from my friends that they received reject whereas I did not. A month passed and mailed the HR asking for the decision, no reply. The same HR sent the mail for reimbursement but did not bother to reply to my query. Finally, another recruiter contacted me where I had to inquire about my decision and it seems that they pursued with other candidates.

Interview Questions
    • Straighten out a json to a one level list.   View Answer
    • Design patterns. Design a paint brush application and more in detail with respect to design pattern.   Answer Question
    • Phone Interview: Linked list class in Java with all operations. Codeshare.   Answer Question