Yahoo Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in February 2015.

Interview

Took about a month from start to finish. There were two interviews. Both were done over the phone along with an online collab coding tool. Both of the interviewers were extremely friendly and seemed like they genuinely wanted me to be comfortable enough to answer the questions properly. They were open to multiple solutions to a problem and appreciated the different (efficient) approaches to a problem.

Interview Questions

• First interview: Different ways to find first unique char from a given word, Big O Notation, Qualitative questions.
      Second interview: Find the 10000th Hamming number efficiently, design question

Answer Question

Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Yahoo (Champaign, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

I had two interviews one hour each. They asked questions mostly on data structures and past projects. Once I cleared the first round, I moved to the second round. They gave the result an hour after the second interview. Overall good interview.

Interview Questions

• Given a single linked list , how would you find the middle of the linked list?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in February 2015.

Interview

Applied through campus career fair. I was called to their office. Then there were two rounds of interview with the team leads of two projects. Very intensive and completely technical.

Interview Questions

• 1. In a string of inputs like 1111... followed by 0000..., how would you detect the first occurrence of 0?
      2. Given a string of words with all the white-spaces removed, and another array of strings as the dictionary of valid words, reintroduce the white-spaces. Do this by recursion only.
      3. Make a square spiral structure using iteration only.

1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in February 2015.

Interview

I submitted my resume on career fair last month. After a week, the recruiter scheduled two phone interviews with two senior software engineers. Basic questions in algorithm, data structure, object-oriented programming and operating system are covered. A coding process on Collaedit. Finally, they asked me if I had any questions.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yahoo in February 2015.

Interview

The process took three days. First one on Thursday, and the following on Sunday. The whole process took around a week. I like the interview process, although the second round is a little bit quick due to some computer problems for the recruiter.

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Interview started with a few simple CS and Linux based questions, like one liners. The interviewer was nice and polite, asked about my experience and explained a bit about his team and his role etc. Then went into a programming question, which was easy to average question, but I messed in dealing with array and indexes, so didn't finish the solution in time, he helped me find the mistake and also told me the approach is correct, but there is a small mistake in juggling with indexes in the array operation. As we were user coderpad.com, I have to execute solution right there, so issue was obvious, if its a google doc or collabedit issue wouldn't be found so easy. I was pleased with the experience and interviewer's team, but bad luck.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online and received an email from the first interviewer after 2-3 weeks. Two rounds of technical interviews before the final decision.

The first interviewer is very nice and told me he is impressed. 3 algorithm and data structure questions, and two questions about my projects on resume, one question on a course. Ironically, he suggested me not accept their offer if I have other choices.

The second one impressed me with the most horrible interview experience. As a front-end developer, he believes it is very important to know Unix scripts and computer networks, though I was supposed to interview for a machine learning position.

Neither of us are native speakers, so I guess we have communication problems too.He keep saying JUST WRITE IT DOWN when I was trying to briefly describe the idea or walk him through codes.

And my recruiter never replies emails so I don't know if I got an offer. It was just stuck there and I happily accept offers from another company.

Interview Questions

• The first interviewer is very nice and we are still in touch. 3 algorithm and data structure questions, and two questions about my projects on resume, one question on a course.

He kept asking me questions like which directory holds logs in Unix, names of each layers of OSI, names of each stages in Agile...actually 16 such questions in total in 45 minutes, in addition to 2 programming questions and one algorithm questions (he asks me to write down scenarios, and interrupted me when I wrote some pseudo codes...).

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Yahoo (Berkeley, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied for summer internship at my college career fair. Scheduled an on-site interview the next week. The process was an 1-on-1 interview with a current Yahoo software engineer. Asked about features and specialty of my most comfortable language (which is Java), and then straight onto coding questions.

Interview Questions

• How to convert a binary search tree into an ordered doubly linked list?   Answer Question
    • How to find out the second most frequent integer given an array of integers.   Answer Question

Interview

1st telephonic interview is with a APM, Brief 'Tell me about yourself' introduction, then questions about product design. What is your favorite product? How would you improve it? For mobile, which new application would you suggest Yahoo to develop? In the end, he asked if I had any questions for him.

Interview Questions

• For mobile, which new application would you suggest Yahoo to develop? Why do you think Yahoo should develop it? How would you go about developing what you suggested?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Had three onsite interviews, which were easy to medium in difficulty. The interviewers did not seem that well prepared but everyone was in general friendly and competent.
    However, HR is a mess. It took them over three months from the day of my onsite interview to send me an actual offer letter, which is completely unacceptable. Furthermore they didn't communicate with me at all--they'd tell me they would get back to me that week and then not respond for another 2-3 weeks. And you can bet they won't reimburse you for your onsite interview.
    I had a good onsite interview experience and might even have considered Yahoo had their recruiting team not been so awful. It really reflects badly on the rest of the company.

Interview Questions

• Coding question before the interviews started on your own personal computer, can't share however because of NDA   Answer Question

Had offers from better companies that were actually prompt in communicating with me