Yahoo Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Yahoo (Mountain View, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Junior platform team SW engineer Got onsite interview directly by employee referral. I was invited for onsite after 2 months. Interviewed with 4 people. First: In a binary tree, prune leaves that are odd and have no even children, recursively. Second: Deep Java and OO questions, inheritance, polymorphism, overloading, lots of question about collection framework, how they are implemented behind the scene and when to use which, downcasting and upcasting, complicated exceptions questions Third (with the team lead): very random and irrelevant questions, TCP handshaking, DNS server, how Internet works end to end, variables alignment in memory, how cpu is connected to memory! how tomcat works and its thread pools, the interviewer was inconsistent and started and ended with a very negative impression, no question about Java or distributed systems Forth: with the manager, he described Yahoo’s scaling up open problems and asked me how I would solve them, questions regarding scaling up redis, kafka, mesos, memcashed,…, I believe questions were appropriate for a senior positions My suggestion is that if you are not from India, do not waste your time interviewing at yahoo platform team

Interview Questions

• In a binary tree, prune leaves that are odd and have no even children, recursively.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

I submitted on website, got the interview notification in one week. During the interview, the engineer asked me Java basics(such as abstract class/interface, multithreaded), and SQL(join / group), Operation system in very details. The whole interview finished in 30 mins.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Four interviewers. 60% of the questions are from Leetcode. I will definitely recommend solving as many problems on leetcode as possible. That however, doesn't mean that you shouldn't spend time on system design and object oriented programming. These are regarded as common knowledge, and if you can't answer them, the chance that you will get an offer becomes very small. Overall, the interview process is OK. Will not ask too detailed or tricky question.

Software Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Yahoo (Ann Arbor, MI) in January 2015.

Interview

It was an on campus interview. Firstly he asked me about the projects I have done according to my resume. Several basic concepts about the network and database has been asked. Then some questions about the OOP, especially Java. At last, he gave me a technical algorithm question.

Software QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo (Santa Clara, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Short and rude before I even answered the first question. They acted disinterested in me the entire time. If they thought that I wasn't a good fit then why waste my time and theirs?

Interview Questions

• Bug fix, hot patch questions. Questions on my tech experience.   Answer Question

Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview was pretty swift. Unlike people here mentioning about late reply from HR. I got reply within a week may be because of my other offer deadline. Had one phone screen, one coding challenge onsite and then 3 F2F interviews. I really liked the Yahoo office and culture there and will accept the offer.

Interview Questions

• Apache Pig Script, LCS type problem, Hadoop, Machine Learning   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

telephonic followed by a on site computer science back ground difficult questions design patterns oop java coding black board algorithms testing time complexity efficiency 4 rounds of on site 1 round of telephpnic screen and you will be asked to solve a question and they monitor it through collabedit or sites like that very basic questions in telephonic screen

Senior Visual UED III Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

It was a pretty standard process overall. I did pursue it rather aggressively from the start until getting an interview. I met with 3 managers representing three different properties within same user experience design group. Fairly basic questions and portfolio review with each reviewer.

Inside Sale Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

Long hiring process. Mostly phone interviews. No group interviews. Be ready for a long wait time and lots of background checks. They do check on your former work history so don't lie on your resume.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was too difficult. Pretty standard interview. Having a good knowledge of the tech world and competitors is also a plus. Just be confident and direct.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They tell you what they have in their budget and you dont have alot of options for wiggle room

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Having read through the reviews on glassdoor I wasn't expecting a smooth process either but since I am a local candidate I didn't have to go through the hassle of going through the travel/stay reimbursements etc. The reviews were true to the core that the recruitment process is a clear indication of the complete chaos in the company. I was invited for an onsite, after clearing the initial phone screen which was fairly a simpler algorithmic challenge. Just revisit your algorithms and data structures especially search, sort, list, trees, graphs, string manipulations etc. An advice to candidates is to not to over do the preparation as they come with a mind set expecting 'the' answer they were looking for and even if you out smart them with an efficient solution it's still frowned upon (which is rather untrue for most companies in the silicon valley). The onsite interviews were pathetic, with some interviewers jumping straight onto white-board coding without even a formal introduction. The questions ranged from generating random numbers between 1 and N given a function which returns 0 or 1 with equal probability (binary to decimal!), ways to provide contradicting assignment statements from a list of string assignments of the form ['a=b', 'c=d', 'd=b'] ['a!=d'] etc, string anagram matching, binary search trees. The engineers seemed technically sound/professional and will indeed provide you enough hints in case you run into troubled waters.

Interview Questions

• A question involving indirect application of DFS on graph (to prove if a list of assignment statements contradict)   Answer Question