Yahoo

Yahoo Interview Questions

Updated Dec 17, 2014
Updated Dec 17, 2014

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yahoo in June 2014.

I have only done the phone screening of which I found the engineer to be very polite. He asked me the difference between an array and a linked list. He also asked me two technical questions

Interview Questions
    • Find the least common ancestor in a tree where each node points to it's parent.   View Answer

Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in June 2014.

1 Phone Screen with my perspective manager. I joked around and made sure that Yahoo did not support IE6 and asked questions about their development processes.

1 Technical Phone Screen with Senior Engineer. He asked me to make a form from scratch that did something.

1 Onsite interview - came in for 3 hours and met the team. It was sorta informal. Answered questions and joked around. Didn't know how to do some of the questions but figured it out in a couple mins by bouncing ideas off of my interviewers. They look for how fast you can adapt and how interested you are about the coding language and technologies. Also from UI and design perspective they look at how you code things to make it easier for the user.

One of my interviewers mentioned something he saw on hacker news and I had seen the same thing the day before so we chatted about it.

I also think that attitude counts hugely at Yahoo. There are no egos in my team. Your personality has to match too.

I wasn't asked any difficult algorithm questions like they do at FB and Google, it was all just stuff directly related to the job. You don't have to be a genius to work here, but if you put in some hard work and learn from the people smarter than you then you will go far. Don't be off put by the big name.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle correcting a mistake that your manager made?   View Answer
    I was able to negotiate. Yahoo's benefits are seriously awesome. The website doesn't explain everything.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Had 1 phone screen then invited to onsite. I felt that Interviewers are not interested in interviewing candidates. Some interviewers told me that he is not sure what to ask as he does not work in the team I was interviewing. worst HR and worst interview process.I was interviewed for back end position but one interviewer was asking front end questions.

Interaction Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo.

I attended a Yahoo! designer event and got a chance to talk with other Yahoo designer and hand over my resume to one recruiter. After that I got email back from the recruiter about the design team would like to give me an on-site interview for 1 hour team presentation.

Interview Questions
    • Mobile app design or web design, which one you'd like to do, why?   View Answer

Front End Interview

onsite: more than five people interview me including algrithm,js,html,css,some basic java questions. basicly, most questions are simple,all of them you can find online. but after coding,you will be asked to improve the performance, like running time and trading off.

Accounting Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Yahoo.

Fairly standard process after the application. It began with phone interview, then back-to-back face-to-face interviews, followed by a panel interview. Nothing was unusual about any of these. Afterwards, I kept getting updates on where I stood in the process from local managers, as they knew their HR was usually very slow in reaching out toward potential candidates.

Director Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Yahoo.

The service will then walk users through the privacy settings for their status updates, remind them of the applications that have permission to use their Facebook. The service will then walk users through the privacy settings for their status updates, remind them of the applications that have permission to use their Facebook.

Interview Questions
    • The service will then walk users through the privacy settings for their status updates, remind them of the applications that have permission to use their Facebook d   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Yahoo.

A recruiter reached out to me on linkedin regarding software development positions. I was in a position where I was open to new opportunities (had been working at Microsoft).

We talked and the recruiter suggested a few teams that had openings. I was interested in a few (mail, ads&data, and cloud), and asked if I could do a phone screen with all of the ones I was interested in to find out more about the individual groups. The recruiter was happy to accommodate. I passed all the phone screens, but liked mail the most (open source in tech stack, highly visible product, work on product that has a very high scale).

I scheduled an onsite, and met with the team. There were 4 interviews - 1 architect, 2 software engineers, 1 hiring manager. One was a design interview, and three were whiteboard coding. I was looking for a place where I could develop my technical skills and career, and wanted to be challenged technically. I got a good vibe from them.

The recruiter called me a week later to inform me that the team wanted to extend an offer.

Overall, my experience was positive. There was a certain stigma associated with Yahoo in my circle of friends, being an old software company, but I got a very good impression from them. The culture seemed great and the people were passionate. The questions that I got were very challenging, and on par with other companies (I also interviewed with other companies like Facebook, Google, Palantir, Twitter, etc).

Some questions I got:
    How would you design Yahoo groups? Technical deep dive and CAP theorem tradeoffs.
    Concurrency questions
    Implement an address book where you can access a contact in O(1) time, list contacts in alphabetical order in O(n) time, and get prefix results as you type a search query.
    Web development questions
    OS questions

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate because the offer was very competitive

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Applied online and had an interview scheduled a few weeks after. The software engineer interviewing me asked a few behavioral questions and some technical questions regarding language specific elements. I had a second follow up phone interview that was more technical in nature and I was then sent an offer.

Product Manager Interview

It can vary and has changed a lot even since I joined. There is a hiring committee that reviews all applicants now, and the process can differ across different business lines.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary or particularly difficult.   Answer Question
    My offer was as-is.