Yahoo Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015

Technical Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

After one or two days when my friend sent the referral email, I got the message from project manager, he arranged two round phone interviews with me, after that he informed me the result and talked to me regarding the potential projects I will work on. The whole process is good and project manager is very helpful. But it takes almost one month to get the final confirmation of the offer from HR.

Interview Questions

• One open-end question: given the user behavior such as login logout time, etc, how to identify the bad users? Use any machine learning methods you can think of.   Answer Question
    • What is copy constructor in C++? Give some examples. What is virtual function in C++?   Answer Question
    • Design a C++ class that can parse string like "https://www.yahoo.com/:8080" into protocol: https, website: www.yahoo.com, port number:8080, no need to implement the actual method, just how to design the private member, public method, etc.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Interview for a position of software engineer in the ads & data team.

First part - coding exercise
    build a Boggle game and output the longest word
    use whatever language you want
    time to do the exercise: 1 hour

Second part - 3 interviews (white board coding)
    interviews related to your team
    Normal coding exercises (databases, regex and trees for me)

Interview Questions

• Regex Question
      Build a function that takes one string and one regex expression in inputs and output true if the string matches the regex expression.
      string: a-z
      regex: a-z + * (where '*' matches 0 or more character and '+' matches one character)

Answer Question

Front End Engineer Interview

Interview

This is a on campus interview, the process of the interview is very straight forward, a guy look at my resume and ask about some detailed questions regarding it. Then we have worked on a question on a c++ question, which is simply find out all the prime number less than 65536. Then we discussed some web design skills which I've used in my projects. I think I did well, but didn't hear from them since then.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

Two phone interviews then got an on Site interview.
    1. design a calculator using C++

3. Dynamic programming question
    4. data structure

Software QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Received email from Yahoo for phone interview. With conformed day and time. After 30 min wait for call, received email she asked for reschedule. And it continues this way 4 times. Finally she called me on 5th attempt. She talked all the time, much more than me...

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Robbed me of two months of my time! The interview process was straightforward - apply online; get called within a week for phone screen and then onsite interviews within the next two weeks. Then followed the hellacious deal over the decision process.

The onsite interviews were very easy when compared to other interviews. Three rounds of 45 minutes each and that was not that bad. And one was completely behavioral and resume oriented questions such as explain about the project, its architecture. One of the interviewers were informal and I did like the candid reply of "Yeah, my work is monotonous". Thought that I did good in my interviews. Got news from my friends that they received reject whereas I did not. A month passed and mailed the HR asking for the decision, no reply. The same HR sent the mail for reimbursement but did not bother to reply to my query. Finally, another recruiter contacted me where I had to inquire about my decision and it seems that they pursued with other candidates.

Interview Questions

• Straighten out a json to a one level list.   1 Answer
    • Design patterns. Design a paint brush application and more in detail with respect to design pattern.   Answer Question
    • Phone Interview: Linked list class in Java with all operations. Codeshare.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied through university job fair and they scheduled a phone interview with me after 2 weeks. Yahoo interview process is kind of slow, you have to push them all the time, otherwise you have to wait. The interview is about 1 hour and questions were normal. First he asked several c++ language basic questions, and then about my resume. After that there were three coding questions. The interviewer was nice and helpful, he always gave some hints about the problems, and kindly wait for my feedback. Normally the interview should be 45 mins but mine was about 1 hour.

Internship Interview

Interview

Phone interview, ask to implement hashtable with C. The interviewer is friendly and talktive, but It is suprising that they ask to use C. I was a little stuck and did not finish it quickly enough.

Program Manager Interview

Interview

Full day interview with 5 different people. Interviews were conducted one at a time in the same conference room. Didn't get the idea that interviewers prepared or coordinated their questions.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

2 phone interviews.

I had a negative experience. The person who contacted me asked me if I could interview at a certain time, during which I replied I had an exam and offered many other times for an interview on following days. After a week of no response, I followed up, and was told I will be receiving phone interviews at times other than ones I had listed.

The first interview went well, but the second interviewer seemed to think I was incompetent and disregarded my suggestions for the solution even though he later suggested the same things.