Yahoo Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2015

Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Yahoo (Champaign, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

I had two interviews one hour each. They asked questions mostly on data structures and past projects. Once I cleared the first round, I moved to the second round. They gave the result an hour after the second interview. Overall good interview.

Interview Questions

• Given a single linked list , how would you find the middle of the linked list?   1 Answer

Network Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yahoo in February 2015.

Interview

The interview was tough, but fair. The interviewer started with high level questions about protocols, but quickly dug into the low-level details, and pushed until I didn't know any more. I was pretty nervous and froze up, could have done better if I was more relaxed or had practiced answering in high-pressure situations.

Associate Product Manager Interview

Interview

1st telephonic interview is with a APM, Brief 'Tell me about yourself' introduction, then questions about product design. What is your favorite product? How would you improve it? For mobile, which new application would you suggest Yahoo to develop? In the end, he asked if I had any questions for him.

Interview Questions

• For mobile, which new application would you suggest Yahoo to develop? Why do you think Yahoo should develop it? How would you go about developing what you suggested?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Had three onsite interviews, which were easy to medium in difficulty. The interviewers did not seem that well prepared but everyone was in general friendly and competent. However, HR is a mess. It took them over three months from the day of my onsite interview to send me an actual offer letter, which is completely unacceptable. Furthermore they didn't communicate with me at all--they'd tell me they would get back to me that week and then not respond for another 2-3 weeks. And you can bet they won't reimburse you for your onsite interview. I had a good onsite interview experience and might even have considered Yahoo had their recruiting team not been so awful. It really reflects badly on the rest of the company.

Interview Questions

• Coding question before the interviews started on your own personal computer, can't share however because of NDA   Answer Question

Had offers from better companies that were actually prompt in communicating with me

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Yahoo (Mountain View, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Junior platform team SW engineer Got onsite interview directly by employee referral. I was invited for onsite after 2 months. Interviewed with 4 people. First: In a binary tree, prune leaves that are odd and have no even children, recursively. Second: Deep Java and OO questions, inheritance, polymorphism, overloading, lots of question about collection framework, how they are implemented behind the scene and when to use which, downcasting and upcasting, complicated exceptions questions Third (with the team lead): very random and irrelevant questions, TCP handshaking, DNS server, how Internet works end to end, variables alignment in memory, how cpu is connected to memory! how tomcat works and its thread pools, the interviewer was inconsistent and started and ended with a very negative impression, no question about Java or distributed systems Forth: with the manager, he described Yahoo’s scaling up open problems and asked me how I would solve them, questions regarding scaling up redis, kafka, mesos, memcashed,…, I believe questions were appropriate for a senior positions My suggestion is that if you are not from India, do not waste your time interviewing at yahoo platform team

Interview Questions

• In a binary tree, prune leaves that are odd and have no even children, recursively.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

I submitted on website, got the interview notification in one week. During the interview, the engineer asked me Java basics(such as abstract class/interface, multithreaded), and SQL(join / group), Operation system in very details. The whole interview finished in 30 mins.

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Four interviewers. 60% of the questions are from Leetcode. I will definitely recommend solving as many problems on leetcode as possible. That however, doesn't mean that you shouldn't spend time on system design and object oriented programming. These are regarded as common knowledge, and if you can't answer them, the chance that you will get an offer becomes very small. Overall, the interview process is OK. Will not ask too detailed or tricky question.

Software QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Santa Clara, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Short and rude before I even answered the first question. They acted disinterested in me the entire time. If they thought that I wasn't a good fit then why waste my time and theirs?

Interview Questions

• Bug fix, hot patch questions. Questions on my tech experience.   Answer Question

Software Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo (Ann Arbor, MI) in January 2015.

Interview

It was an on campus interview. Firstly he asked me about the projects I have done according to my resume. Several basic concepts about the network and database has been asked. Then some questions about the OOP, especially Java. At last, he gave me a technical algorithm question.

Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview was pretty swift. Unlike people here mentioning about late reply from HR. I got reply within a week may be because of my other offer deadline. Had one phone screen, one coding challenge onsite and then 3 F2F interviews. I really liked the Yahoo office and culture there and will accept the offer.

Interview Questions

• Apache Pig Script, LCS type problem, Hadoop, Machine Learning   Answer Question