Yahoo Interview Questions

Updated Oct 21, 2014
Updated Oct 21, 2014

Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Yahoo.

1 phone interview with a recruiter, followed by 3 in person interviews (same day) with hiring manager and team members

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in February 2014.

Contacted by a hiring manager about an interview. The next week I had a technical phone interview.
    Questions:
    1. List all permutations of a string. E.g.; If you're given abc, the output should be abc, acb, bca, bac, cab, cba.
    2. Fibonacci series - both recursively and iteratively. Tell me which one is better in terms of memory and speed of execution.
    Did not hear back from them even after a month.

Software Developer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Yahoo.

One sentence summary: nice pay, terrible experience

I met Yahoo at campus career fair and applied through Yahoo career on November, 2013 and the whole process took 3 months. The first phone interview came in two weeks from application. The feedback was positive and the second interview was arranged quickly. So far, so nice -- but the interviewer didn't call me at the appointed time, TWICE!

A month later, I took the second phone interview and again the feedback was positive. Then I started to wait. After winter break, I received a phone call from the HR, saying my application is submitted to the hiring committee for final review. The HR said that I would get a response in a week, which actually took 3 weeks, during which the HR didn't respond to my email.

The official offer finally came a week ago but I have only one week to decide. Although it's against our school's job policy, I can understand. However, I have other ongoing interviews so I tried to contact the HR for an response deadline extension. Sent 2 mails, made 2 calls, and nobody responded. At least they can tell me they can't.

To be frank, the salary is nice - probably among the top tier I've ever heard of. But the HR is never responsive and turns the whole process a terrible memory.

Interview Questions
    • Implement getElementsByClassName in plain JavaScript. Must support old browsers (so you cannot use latest API like .classList).   View Answer

Senior Program Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Yahoo.

"Standard" program management questions and situations were given during the interview. Some examples include:

- How do you track progress?
    - How do you know when you are "done"?
    - What's the toughest issue you had to deal with?
    - What did you do about it?
    - If the project you are initially assigned is in trouble how do you get it back on track?

Software Development Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yahoo.

Talked to a really nice database backend engineering during a college career fair. He immediately gave me an interview slot for the next day. For the interview, I came in and the interviewer talked about himself a little bit. And then he gave me a question about full/complete binary trees and a brain teaser. They were easy questions but I was extremely tired at the time. He told me later to be less nervous!

Interview Questions
    • You have 10 jars, each filled with many marbles. Each marble weighs exactly 1.0 grams. One of the jars is a bad batch meaning each marble inside weighs 1.1 grams instead of 1.0 grams. You have a scale that will give you back a number of how much things weigh on it. Using only one measurement, determine how would you be able to find the bad batch   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Yahoo.

Yahoo came to campus for a career fair where I talked to them. We then set up a 30 minute phone interview

Interview Questions
    • It honestly wasn't that difficult. They asked a question about object oriented programming and a simple reverse a string in place.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yahoo.

ask me a question -- clone graph and how to implement hash map

Interview Questions
    • implement the hash map and using linked list to solve the conflict   View Answer

Software Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in February 2014.

Applied online after talking to recruiter at career fair; got contacted within a few days. Had phone interviews with two groups (2 rounds each). The interviews mainly consisted of coding on Collabedit. After each interview I was contacted within a few days for the next steps. My first-round interviews went pretty smoothly, but for my second round interviews I got an interviewer who asked me a few questions I couldn't answer, and we never made it to the coding round and he basically just cut the interview short at 10 minutes without really giving me a chance, which I found kind of off-putting. The other group's second-round wen't smoothly, and I got contacted with an offer about a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really that unexpected, just some questions on data structures and algorithms   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Two phone interviews. It is not that hard. The questions are about something on my resume and some basic programming techniques.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in February 2014.

Hiring process started with a recruiter and then a simple 1:1 phone interview. It was an easy question to solve a BST. Any comp sci student should know all Algos when you are applying to Yahoo!

Interview Questions
    • Prove number of nodes in a BST is 2^h - 1, h is height using Mathematical Induction! Huh! I learnt it in school but was fortunate enough to recall   View Answers (2)