Yahoo

Updated Dec 17, 2014
Updated Dec 17, 2014

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in April 2014.

Two phone interviews – one with the hiring manager, one with a researcher. Both friendly, focussed on research and methods. Onsite was very pleasant, if a little disorganized. The questions were mostly research-oriented and focussed on machine learning problems. There were a few high-level interviews, as well as one or two coding-related ones.

Interview Questions
    • Clustering on large, sparse datasets – how would you approach the problem?   Answer Question

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo.

Applied Online, got call for telephonic interview about in a month

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing mentioned about front-end development in my resume, still I got call from UI development team . Interviewer asked me about UI development; right from Javascript, jQuery to HTML5, CSS   View Answer

NOC Engineer Interview

The interview process was very well organized. Once at the interview it was a comfortable environment and the interviewers were knowledgeable and outgoing. Post interview the hiring process was a bit lengthy but they did keep me informed on progress with hiring the candidate. Overall was a pleasant experience from interview to hiring.

Interview Questions
    • I did not experience any question that was difficult or unexpected, the approach was very forthcoming and open and comfortable.   Answer Question

Applied for Technical Architect Interview

An e-mail from someone at yahoo. Followed by a talk on phone. Two technical interviews on phone. I kept asking about the position they are looking for and they kept mentioning we have a "lot" of positions and will fit you based on skills. Then an invitation for onsite interview and then the bummer, they had no idea where they want to fit me and kept deferring.

Interview Questions
    • None..., just simple ones. May be if there was something onsite, it would be interesting.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yahoo.

I had 2 rounds so far. I was asked basic questions in java like what is polymorphism, inheritence, garbage collection etc

Software Engineer Mail and Anti-Spam Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in March 2014.

I applied online and was contacted 1-2 weeks afterwards. After 2 phone interviews, I was invited to an on site at Sunnyvale CA at the beginning of March. The interview consisted of 4 technical interviews and 1 Engineering Director lunch interview. The overall technical interview process was well expected with the exception of one disagreement:

One question was to determine the median of a stream of numbers at any given moment in time. I stated that, in the case of even amount of numbers, the median is the average of the middle pair of numbers after rearranged in ascending order. The Interviewer, at this moment, not only instantly denied this logic, but also got angry at me, stating that: "when there are even amount of numbers, the median can be either the lower or the higher element!". Although this was only a small disagreement, it made me feel like there is no room for discussions in the glorious halls of Yahoo!.

Also, be very aware of the lunch with the engineering director. In the emails, it was stated that the lunch will be a strictly casual non-interview process. However, the Engineering Director asked me technical questions including algorithms and data structures and behavior and personality questions like: what do you want to do in 3 years, why do you want to join mail/antispam, do you like machine learning, tell me some machine learning techniques, where did you come from (which country) and at what age? So be prepared.

Lastly and most importantly, it has been almost 3 months since the beginning of March, they still haven't given me the reimbursement for money spent on the interview. I was at Sunnyvale California for 3 days and spent roughly around 200-300$ for travel, food, and parking out of my own pocket. I have been emailing them every week regarding the reimbursement and all I get from the HR is that they will look up on it. It is almost three months now and all they can do is look up on it. I am only a student and it would be really nice to see that money again. T___T

Be prepared to spend money out of your own pocket when you get called from Yahoo! for an interview.

Interview Questions
    • Determine the number of bits of a given number in O(1) time.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

It is a campus interview, i received the email days after the campus career fair. just went to their office and two interviewer asked me some questions about database, relations, searing, and also some basic algorithms, definitions of PHP stuff...

Interview Questions
    • ask me to do the coding on the laptop/white board. real problem, not simple definition questions. you have to write to type,   Answer Question

Tech Person Interview

It was ok, I didn't mind

Biz Ops Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo.

5 on site interviews by different members of recruiting team

Interview Questions
    Did not negotiate. Offer was to my satisfaction

Software Engineer Intern Interview

2 rounds
    R1 - Algorithms- Q: Sorted array rotated n times. Find element x. Basic java and linux questions.
    R2 - Coding round- basic dynamic programming question.