Yahoo

13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Product Manager Interview

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo in October 2013.

Interview Details – This is for an internal transfer, thus the process has been greatly simplified. Individually talked to 4 senior product managers from different teams. Was assessed based on my technical background, project management skills, communication and interpersonal skills, the ability to prioritize and manage schedule, and intuition to market offering and product features.

Interview Question – How will Google self-drive car change the public transit system if they are made available for general audience.   Answer Question

Android Engineer Interview

New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Yahoo in March 2014.

Interview Details – Never got the chance to talk to an engineer, but was given a 90 minute coding exercise that I had to do remotely and send in the code through e-mail. I can't say what the Android application was but I think if you know your Android sample apps and paging well (hint hint) you should do good. I did the application perfect when compared to the example, but was still rejected. Though, I also discovered I was up against people from MIT, GWU, and such while I went to a 200+ rank school, so considering how Yahoo is with universities, it seems to have been a no brainer.

Interview Question – only got to the android 90 min coding exercise where you have to make an application   View Answer

Intern Interview

Intern
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in January 2014.

Interview Details – Contacted by University recruiter. Got phone interview within a week

Interview Question – There's only one coding question, which is about implementing peek() method in ArrayList iterator (get the value of next without moving iterator to next element). You can only use the next() method in the implementation.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Administrative Assistant Interview

New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview Details – Received phone call from HR Talent Acquisition as a follow-up on resume submission. Asked if I still held a vested interest in position after my resume was reviewed after being submitted via a Staffing Agency. Yes, I was still interested. Then two different in-person interviews. First with contact working in role I am applying for as well as their co-worker / counterpart. Next interview 2 days later was with two Managers I'd eventually report too - included a written test to assess writing skills, example of a client email communication re: content of a sensitive-nature, and ability to work with numbers by determining simple math problems (figuring percentages, etc.).

Negotiation Details – No negotiation; received offer over telephone within one week after second in-person interview. Accepted offer and salary on the spot as it was $15K over my current salary at the time for same type of position. Began working full-time 2-weeks later.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Yahoo in November 2013.

Interview Details – Dropped off my resume at a campus event. Got called for a phone interview about a month later. The interview was well scheduled and punctual, about 45 minutes. This was the initial phone screening and I was asked a couple of questions ranging from Systems to Algorithms, nothing too difficult. Definitely prepare for the questions since they expect you to and it's going to help you out massively.

Interview Question – Just a couple of binary tree algorithm questions. Nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in March 2013.

Interview Details – I dropped my resume in university career fair. And I was contacted quickly after that. I got two interviews, both phone screens. The employers are from mail team, but they do have strong accent. I usually ask them to repeat several times to understand the questions. Both of them are really tech based. I expected some chatting about experiences and backgrounds, but the both interviewers just start right with technical questions.
Questions are broad and basic ones.
the difference between POST and GET.
Find unique ints in an array
something about html css and server side stuff.
The second interviewer asked more than 10 questions during the call.

Interview Question – How to deal with large traffic on a website.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo in February 2013.

Interview Details – A front-end female recruiter gave me the interview. She asked me some questions about hash map and OOD and I was asked to design a parking lot. Then she asked me some front-end questions and I tried really hard to remember. Finally she said she will turn me to some backend guy to see how we can proceed.

Interview Questions

• OOD, Parking Lot   Answer Question
  • What's css box? What if defining a javascript variable without the type "var"? What is html DOM?   View Answer

Sales Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in January 2009.

Interview Details – The interview was incredibly casual and down to earth. I had to meet with the manager, his manager, someone currently in the role and the sales reps I'd be working with. Because it was poorly planned, I was unable to meet with all of these people in one day at Yahoo's office. So I had to make multiple follow-up interviews. Really they just wanted to know my background and were looking for someone who would "vibe" with the rest of the team. Then after they offered me the job, they told me not to leave my other job, and I had to wait what felt like a million more weeks for a background and credit check.

Interview Question – Our only hesitation is that you don't seem aggressive enough. Prove to us that you are.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nope. The salary was non-negotiable. But two months after I started they reworked our compensation plans and I wound up having my base salary drastically increased. So, no complaints.

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yahoo in January 2008.

Interview Details – I was contacted by the hiring manager and she set up a phone interview with. I was then called to come in and meet 1:1 (actually 2:1). I arrived a few minutes early (not more than 5). I was taken to an empty conference room and interviewed for about 30 minutes by two managers from the Marketing dept. I thought the interview went remarkably well. I was asked typical interview questions; no curveballs here. There were no awkward moments, and I thought I came off as quite charming, without being creepy. Anyway, I was told I'd be contacted within a week. I wrote thank-you letters to both interviewers and mailed them out right away. No response within a week. I called and left a VM for the interviewer; no response for two weeks. I call again, leave another VM. No response for a few days then I get a call back saying I will not be offered the position. Interview process was alright, communication bad.

Interview Questions

Account Manager Interview

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in May 2010.

Interview Details – The hiring process was fairly basic, as I was a referral. I had an initial phone interview from a HR recruiter or talent acquisitions manager. The phone call lasted maybe 10 - 15 minutes and was very top line. I then scheduled an interview to meet a potential manager. This interview went well and I set up a 3rd interview to meet a Director, in which I was required to put together a brief Powerpoint presentation on Yahoo!.

I didn't take the job, but the interview process wasn't too bad.

Interview Question – What kind of experience do you have that would be applicable to this position?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Yahoo interview questions and advice in New York, NY. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by Yahoo employees and interview candidates.