Yahoo

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Yahoo

Interview Details – It can vary and has changed a lot even since I joined. There is a hiring committee that reviews all applicants now, and the process can differ across different business lines.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary or particularly difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – My offer was as-is.

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo in October 2013.

Interview Details – This is for an internal transfer, thus the process has been greatly simplified. Individually talked to 4 senior product managers from different teams. Was assessed based on my technical background, project management skills, communication and interpersonal skills, the ability to prioritize and manage schedule, and intuition to market offering and product features.

Interview Question – How will Google self-drive car change the public transit system if they are made available for general audience.   Answer Question

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in May 2010.

Interview Details – Interview process consisted of a phone interview with the hiring manager and on-site interviews with 6 people - recruiter, hiring manager, 2 PMs in the group, VP of the group, and another VP. Everybody I spoke with were friendly and professional. Interview questions focused primarily on new ideas for the product, but also included why I want to work for Yahoo and the specific group, my projects at previous jobs, ideas for other Yahoo products, and behavioral questions. I recommend doing sufficient research into the specific group and other Yahoo products and be prepared to elaborate on your product ideas.

Interview Question – How would you reduce spam for Yahoo! Mail?   Answer Question

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo in May 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed with a half dozen or so Yahoos! Interview styles ranged from friendly and conversational to a more intense and inquisitive style. Some interviewers had stronger and more specific questions than others, but overall it was a sound give and take and I left with a good impression of the team, program, and company.

Interview Question – What is the right strategy for Yahoo! to beat Google and Facebook?   Answer Question

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in September 2009.

Interview Details – I had an initial phone interview with the Hiring Manager who was asked questions mostly about why I wanted to work in high tech and why Yahoo! She also grilled me on my experiences with Yahoo! Front Page - the group I was interviewing with - and asked about changes I would make, thoughts on recent developments, etc. On site, I had 4 1:1 interviews: 2 with Product Managers in the same group, 1 with the Hiring Manager, and 1 with a VP of Engineering. The PMs and Hiring Manager focused on my knowledge of Yahoo!, what I liked and didn't like about the new Front Page, what my favorite Yahoo! properties were, what I used most often, why I didn't use Yahoo! mail, etc. The VP of Engineering focused more on why this job, why Yahoo!, why Product Management, etc.

Interview Question – What's your favorite Yahoo! product?   Answer Question

Product Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview Details – Received interview call through referral from friend. They promptly set up meetings with hiring manager. After one phone interview which focused mostly on my experience and fit for the role, I was invited to onsite interviews to meet with about 5-6 people including indirect managers, head of PM team, engineering and peers. Very thorough vetting process, and most of the people were friendly and smart. They got back to me with an offer in a few days and the whole process was pleasant and professional.

Interview Question – Who are key stakeholders for Yahoo paid search? How would you balance their interests as a product manager?   View Answer

Product Manager

The process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo in January 2011.

Interview Details – 1. Whats your favorite tech product and why? Chose a website - tell why you like it? what are you gonna improve in it?
2. Describe MRD, PRD?
3. How would you decide what feature to put in a product?
4. How would you prioritize projects?
5. What do you look for in a product?
6. Tell me a time when you were really satisfied or dissatisfied with your result; customer demanded something that you could not deliver; handled a difficult team member?

Definitely be well versed with website designs, product initiation and requirements, interesting tech product.

Interview Question – What is PRD and MRD?   Answer Question

Bangalore (India)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Yahoo in April 2009.

Interview Details – Initially there was a screenig intrerview done by the Hr person.

Then a product manager did a telephonic interview.

Then a senior product manager did a telephonic interview.

Interview Questions

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!