Yahoo Product Manager Interview Questions

Updated May 15, 2015

Product Manager Interview

Interview

It can vary and has changed a lot even since I joined. There is a hiring committee that reviews all applicants now, and the process can differ across different business lines.

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinary or particularly difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation

My offer was as-is.

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo (New York, NY) in October 2013.

Interview

This is for an internal transfer, thus the process has been greatly simplified. Individually talked to 4 senior product managers from different teams. Was assessed based on my technical background, project management skills, communication and interpersonal skills, the ability to prioritize and manage schedule, and intuition to market offering and product features.

Interview Questions

• How will Google self-drive car change the public transit system if they are made available for general audience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

Interviewed with a half dozen or so Yahoos! Interview styles ranged from friendly and conversational to a more intense and inquisitive style. Some interviewers had stronger and more specific questions than others, but overall it was a sound give and take and I left with a good impression of the team, program, and company.

Interview Questions

• What is the right strategy for Yahoo! to beat Google and Facebook?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

Interview process consisted of a phone interview with the hiring manager and on-site interviews with 6 people - recruiter, hiring manager, 2 PMs in the group, VP of the group, and another VP. Everybody I spoke with were friendly and professional. Interview questions focused primarily on new ideas for the product, but also included why I want to work for Yahoo and the specific group, my projects at previous jobs, ideas for other Yahoo products, and behavioral questions. I recommend doing sufficient research into the specific group and other Yahoo products and be prepared to elaborate on your product ideas.

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in September 2009.

Interview

I had an initial phone interview with the Hiring Manager who was asked questions mostly about why I wanted to work in high tech and why Yahoo! She also grilled me on my experiences with Yahoo! Front Page - the group I was interviewing with - and asked about changes I would make, thoughts on recent developments, etc. On site, I had 4 1:1 interviews: 2 with Product Managers in the same group, 1 with the Hiring Manager, and 1 with a VP of Engineering. The PMs and Hiring Manager focused on my knowledge of Yahoo!, what I liked and didn't like about the new Front Page, what my favorite Yahoo! properties were, what I used most often, why I didn't use Yahoo! mail, etc. The VP of Engineering focused more on why this job, why Yahoo!, why Product Management, etc.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mumbai (India)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yahoo (Mumbai (India)) in January 2015.

Interview

You apply... Wait for for several days and still you do not get any reply backs from any job offer available here. It is just waste of time but what to do. No pain no gain buddies. Take care and keep searching. Best of luck people.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milan (Italy)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Milan (Italy)).

Interview

Applied online, phone interview, in person interview: hiring manager, direct manager, supervisor,. Got a proposal, negotiate it a bit. They asked me general questions about my past experience, nohing too complicated

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not much flexibility to negotiate

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Yahoo in August 2013.

Interview

I learnt about the opening at a tech event. I applied via e-mail. They replied asking about my current job situation. I answered comprehensively and they never got back to me. I tried a follow up e-mail and still nothing. Very rude from them.

Interview Questions

• Are you currently working in several jobs at the same time?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

Received interview call through referral from friend. They promptly set up meetings with hiring manager. After one phone interview which focused mostly on my experience and fit for the role, I was invited to onsite interviews to meet with about 5-6 people including indirect managers, head of PM team, engineering and peers. Very thorough vetting process, and most of the people were friendly and smart. They got back to me with an offer in a few days and the whole process was pleasant and professional.

Interview Questions

• Who are key stakeholders for Yahoo paid search? How would you balance their interests as a product manager?   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo in January 2011.

Interview

1. Whats your favorite tech product and why? Chose a website - tell why you like it? what are you gonna improve in it? 2. Describe MRD, PRD? 3. How would you decide what feature to put in a product? 4. How would you prioritize projects? 5. What do you look for in a product? 6. Tell me a time when you were really satisfied or dissatisfied with your result; customer demanded something that you could not deliver; handled a difficult team member? Definitely be well versed with website designs, product initiation and requirements, interesting tech product.