Yahoo

Updated Oct 9, 2014

2.8

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Yahoo.

I received my first interview through a friend who already worked at the company. She introduced me to a director who initially had one of his employees interview me for a position on his team. While I was not a good fit for that team the director connected me with another group at Yahoo. I restarted the interview process with them and was successful.

Interview Questions
  • The interview was not particularly difficult. There were questions about the process behind specific mathematical methods. However, the majority of questions asked how I would approach particular situations at work. Ex. If you need to inform a business unit about the success of x what would you do.

One of the more difficult questions was:
    Use this white board to explain how multiple regression works.

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in April 2014.

Two phone interviews – one with the hiring manager, one with a researcher. Both friendly, focussed on research and methods. Onsite was very pleasant, if a little disorganized. The questions were mostly research-oriented and focussed on machine learning problems. There were a few high-level interviews, as well as one or two coding-related ones.

Interview Questions
    • Clustering on large, sparse datasets – how would you approach the problem?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Yahoo in March 2014.

Applying for Research Scientist that requires PhD in Computer Science or related fields.
    First there are two phone screenings that ask Machine Learning fundamentals, statistics, your research work, and how to solve research problems. If you did well, you are invited to an on-site interview which includes an hour-talk (your thesis topic or any research you have done) and 6 one-to-one interviews. In an one-to-one interview, you are asked to explain your approaches for given research problems, your intuition for modeling, how to implement your idea, and some technical coding questions.

Interview Questions
    • How to rank documents without queries (using only user id)? How to complete online query suggestion in mobile? How to build an inverted index? What is spatial SVD?   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo.

The interview process included two 1 hr phone interviews and one full day on-site interview. Phone interviews were mainly research based questions while on-site interviews were both research based and technical. I can say that in comparison with other interviews, the Yahoo interviews were more professional and definitely suited the position much more than other interviews. They avoid all those stupid whiteboard codings and stick to fundamental questions and research based easy to very complex scenario questions. Although very tiring, I enjoyed my onsite interviews. They were all bright and smart people and very professional and they make you feel that you are on the same page with them. I would say 50-60% of my interview was research questions (easy to difficult) and 40-50% are more technical questions. The technical questions were about machine learning, algorithms and optimization.

Interview Questions
    • How will you encode the world's knowledge for learning algorithms if 1) you have unlimited human resources 2) you have to do it automatically with no human resource.   Answer Question
    The negotiation phase was not very open and somehow limited. Their offer was fair so you can't negotiate much.

Research Scientist Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Yahoo in August 2010.

i was alreayd in yahoo, and wanted to move to research. so i talked to folks in research on phone.