Yahoo

Yahoo Interview Questions in Santa Clara, CA

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in March 2012.

There were three phone interviews. Process was pretty fast.
    Stress was on OOPs concept and problem solving.
    Interviewers were sweet.
    First interview consisted of personal intro, some questions about my previous employment, JAVA questions
    Second and Third was on OOPs concept and problem solving.
    They would call and let you know about their decision or further rounds, process didn't take much time.

Technical Yahoo Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Yahoo in November 2011.

Got an email for phone screen from Yahoo after attending the college job fair. The interviewer was from Yahoo search team.

Interview Questions
    • Difference between memory allocation of stack and heap   View Answer
    • Why do we need virtual destructor in c++   View Answer
    • Difference between pass by value and pass by reference   View Answer
    • questions on OOPs features, abstract class   Answer Question

Senior Manager, Service Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Yahoo in August 2011.

It was a very lengthy process all compressed in one day.

Senior Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Yahoo in June 2011.

I was approached by Yahoo recruiter, and she said It's a multi-national, multi-center build out, and they are interested in people with a strong Unix background (Redhat preferred) and solid skills in monitoring, automation, performance tuning, and troubleshooting.

Interview Questions
    • what is inode number of newly created directory?   View Answer
    • if file permissions is set to 755, is that file can be accessed by anybody   View Answers (2)

Software Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Yahoo in June 2011.

I got a email from the hiring manager for a onsite interview after a brief phone conversation. Hiring manager and her team was good and friendly. Surprisingly three of the five interviewers asked me the same question. Interview went very well, but I never heard back from them. Later on got to know from one of the employee that they had hiring freeze. Waste of my time and theirs..

Interview Questions
    • Write a script to login into yahoo mail and display the number of new messages. The script should also take care of alerting the user when ever a new message is received.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Yahoo in December 2010.

Phone interview was more about specifics of Java/J2EE technology.

1. What's the diff between interface and abstract class
    2. Implement Fibonacci series. Can you implement the same using recursion? Which one is more efficient? why ?
    3. What are the steps involved in creating a complete workflow of a module in Spring and Hibernate
    4. What is dependency injection? Why is it good?
    5. Explain many-to-many mapping concept using Hibernate
    6. Write the query to find duplicates

1:1 interview had 3 rounds
    1. You have a Employee class and Dept class. Give a complete design and implementation to get all Employees grouped by Departments
    - Many-to Many mapping again with spring injections, they also checked why would you use certain data structures

2. Second round was based on the Producer Consumer problem and involved many threading concepts

3. Third round was based on design and performance oriented thinking. Let's say you had a 10Gigs of a text file and you were to collect a certain pattern of string and store it in DB. What was the most efficient way of doing it ?

The advice is:
    Be good in Collections, Threads and Performance related questions

Work culture is good but very hectic. Agile, scrum methodologies are followed and there are pretty stringent deadlines. People are co-operative but one must have a lot of energy to find your way through gigantic code base and slightly complicated procedure to build and test the code. Good luck.

Interview Questions
    • Why constructors dont return any value. What problem did Java face in returning a value from Constructors ?   View Answer
    • Give an implementation of Moon in the solar system   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Yahoo in October 2010.

I was first called for a phone interview which was pretty simple and straightforward mainly asking questions on Data Structures and design related.
    The after a week i was called for an onsite interview with 4 people.
    The 1st round went well the interviewer asked me to write a tictactoe game on whiteboard.
    The 2nd round went bad as the person kept asking me some mathematical problems.
    The 3rd round went ok with the manager asked me few testing and QA questions which i suppose did not answer that well.
    The 4th round was useless. The interviewer was just wasting time and reading my resume and seeing the clock.

Overall the interview experience sucked as they really did not test my skills.

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in August 2010.

I applied on the Yahoo! website and received a call back from a recruiter just 2 days later. Started with a phone conversation with the recruitier. Then I came onsite and met with the recruiter and 2 people (the hiring manager and another member of the team). Then I was asked back for more interviews. I came back the next week and met with 3 more folks (members of the team) for about 30min-1 hour with each person. Basic scenario questions and questions about my work experience, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have experience planning events for a large number of folks. What is the first step you take?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in March 2010.

No complaint about the interview. The HR always response quickly in communications. The onsite interview was a long day and there were many interviewers. The questions are mostly standard, about coding and data structures, algorithms. The interview questions were generally OK but some of them are difficult. The interviewers were nice and were willing to provide hint when stuck. The final offer was in a special package.

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Yahoo in January 2010.

Pretty straight forward. I had interviews with 3 different teams and had all 3 offers for different positions. Software Engineer, Research Engineer and Quality Engineer.

There is a serious flaw in hiring process in terms of they ask only listed questions given by management or sort of their own in the field they are skillful and completely overlook your experience. They dont care much about talent but just check whether you satisfy their technology needs.

Interview Questions
    • java, database query processing, search engine, mathematical problem they want to solve   View Answer
    Just accepted the research position. Definitely should have negotiated knowing the amount of work I did compared to compensation and treatment I received from my manager.