Yahoo

Yahoo Senior Product Manager Interview Questions

2.6

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in November 2010.

Phone screen followed by on-site 1:1 interviews with hiring manager, other product team members, and an engineering counterpart. The hiring manager asked scenario questions to gauge product intuition. The team member interviews discussed previous work experience to assess basic product management skills and personality fit with the rest of the team.

Interview Questions
  • How would you integrate this feature with social networks? What would the user experience be like?   Answer Question
Yes, I was able to negotiate by speaking with the HR recruiter. I would recommend going through the HR recruiter since this is part of their job, and they may already know the acceptable range for base salary, bonuses, etc.

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Yahoo in March 2009.

I met with about 6 or 7 people for about 30 min each. One was the hiring manager, one was her manager, and the rest were people that I would be working with. I did not meet the temp whose job I eventually took over.

They asked me a bit about my background in general, and told me what they thought the job they were interviewing me was supposed to be about. I noticed that everyone had a very different description of the job. At the end I met the HR recruiter again who offered me the job. I told her that I was not sure what the job was since everyone had a different job description.

She returned to me and said that I was right -- the company is not really sure what the job is supposed to be and that they still want to hire me, since maybe I could help them figure it out. Apparently I was the first candidate to notice this discrepancy. So that was what it took to get the job. I was simply honest. And they were honest back.

Interview Questions
    Advice: do your research on Glassdoor.

Senior Product Manager Interview

The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in May 2011.

I was first contacted by the recruiter who knew me via a friend. Then hiring manager did a phone screen and then it was followed by two rounds of in person interview which were scheduled over the period of two weeks. It was challenging experience and allowed me to learn more about the opportunity.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about the products you have launched in the past.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

The process took a weekinterviewed at Yahoo in May 2010.

Interview Process:
    * Phone Interview/conversation with the recruiter
    * Phone Interview with the hiring manager
    * Scheduler helped with setting up the on-site interview co-ordination
    * On-site interview for about half-a-day with the team
    - 4-5 interviews depending probably on the hiring manager
    * Interviews were mainly on the experience & relevant to the product
    - Challenges and problems solved/faced
    - Included technical questions
    - Fermi questions like "Estimate the volume of water on the Earth"
    * I interviewed in 2 different groups & made it to the on-site in both
    - In one of the positions, the group hired an internal candidate
    - In the other a candidate referred by an internal employee was preferred. The manager mentioned that "...there is nothing wrong with you but an internally referred candidate was hard to say no to"
    - I would recommend that go via internal referral of some sort - not only here but in any/all big companies

People & Work Culture:
    - People were all great. I found them knowledgeable, helpful & made you feel welcome. Managers are/were very busy but still found time to respond to my emails post the interview process
    - Most if not all functional groups were represented in the interview - Engineering (Dev & QA), Program Management & ofcourse the Product Management team
    - The mood was positive. Seemed like they had a plan and were driving towards a goal
    - Individual properties seemed to be driving their own individual product strategies but there is/was a plan to have consistency in that regard

Interview Questions
    • Estimate the volume of water on the Earth   View Answer

Senior Product Manager Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in January 2010.

The questions were mostly related to the role of product management and understanding of the industry. There were few technical questions as well.

Team was nice and conversations were interesting.