Yahoo

Average Difficulty
7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Program Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview Details – "Standard" program management questions and situations were given during the interview. Some examples include:

- How do you track progress?
- How do you know when you are "done"?
- What's the toughest issue you had to deal with?
- What did you do about it?
- If the project you are initially assigned is in trouble how do you get it back on track?

Interview Question – Didn't get a question that I never saw before.   Answer Question

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in August 2011.

Interview Details – Recruiters are not as prompt as I'd expect. Interviewers are genuinely nice. Interviews are more of a conversation rather than an interrogation. Had 4 people interview for about 45 mins each. Questions about Agile methodology, tools, cross-functional challenges, significant achievements, influencing without authority etc. There were opportunities to ask questions about the role, team, products and future plans. It was good to be talking to senior folks with whom I'd be working if selected - that gives a mutual feeling of fit.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Santa Monica, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in July 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewed with 6 different people and 3 rounds. First round with with Sr. Director of Program Management over the phone. Second round was an on site interview with 4 different people. The last round was a phone interview with VP of engineer.

Interview Question – How to improve engineer's work ethic?   Answer Question

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in April 2010.

Interview Details – This is an internal transfer. Got referral through a colleague so the hiring manager agreed to chat with me. Interview was casual and informal since she knew all my previous works. Offer came soon after the interview.

Interview Question – When you are late to an important meeting, what would you do when you walk into the conference room?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Most of the lead time (prior to the interview) was the power play between your current boss and your future one if your current boss doesn't want to lose headcount or lose face. Be aware of that before you consider an internal transfer.

London, England (UK)

I applied online - interviewed at Yahoo in September 2013.

Interview Details – Just got an email from an HR representative to schedule a phone interview. The phone call took 40 mins and I was asked general questions about my current role and experience, as well as math and questions related to the advertising industry. Some of the questions are a bit naive...

Interview Question – Why this role?   View Answer

Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Yahoo in August 2011.

Interview Details – Was asked to come on a particular day after an initial phone screening. The interviews were more of meeting people where the conversation was freewheeling with a strong focus on responsibilities held previously

Interview Question – Nothing really   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Please take everything in writing from this company. They confirmed orally about a Senior Program Manager but rolled out an offer as Program Manager! The HR and Management teams all denied responsibility for this. When I say management, this is right up to the head of Bangalore office.

Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo in March 2010.

Interview Details – Started with a Phone Interview with a panel of 2 people from Yahoo, One a Program Manager and the other being an HR representative. This was for a duration of 1 hour. Consisted of normal questions as to:
- Current profile
- Which teams/all co-located or geo-separated
- SCRUM based development, this was one of the biggest topic discussed

Following this, i was call for a face to face interview at the Bangalore office. Yahoo provided for the air-fare and actually provided me the tickets as well. However there was no offer for the transport cost within the city from Home to Airport / Airport to Yahoo and vice versa.

Surprisingly, although the interview was scheduled nearly 15 days ago, people from the panel were missing or not in office. I was made to wait for an hour before the process started with an adhoc panel and with a couple of people taking the interview over the phone while i was in the Yahoo office.

Again the interview mainly consisted of discussions on the projects i have worked one and again the biggest factor was the SCRUM based development methodology.

Post this, i had phone interviews with Director Program Management, based in US, and then again with a Sr. Dir. Program Management. These two interviews happened a couple of weeks after Yahoo office interviews.

I was informed approx. 1 week post the last phone interview that the deal would not work out.

Overall an OK experience, but the time taken was not expected since this was detailed out to be an urgent requirement.

Interview Question – Nothing   Answer Question

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!