Yahoo

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Yahoo in January 2009.

Interview Details – The hiring process starts with the HR Recruiter calling you up and fixing a date and time for the initial Phone Screen round. Then the cal came at the designated time and it was a Technical Interview with questions mostly coming from the skill I had written on my CV. Most of the questions were centered around UNIX environment and how to run commands on the same and writing of shell and Perl scripts. I think he was satisfied with the answers I gave. (gave an answer to almost all, and said where I was unable to give an answer).
Then I was called by the HR person again after 2 days and asked to come for a Face to Face (1:1) interview, which would be Technical in nature. Here, the person started off by offering water and if I wanted to have some coffee or tea. As I declined, we settled down to a interview. The environment was very casual, people walking around in shorts and t-shirts and all the cubes were decorated with various personal effects of every nature. The interview room had soothing colors and it was a real great feeling to just be there. The atmosphere was very vibrant and full of activity.
I would advise people going for the same to be not nervous and answer questions as they come and say no to the questions where they do not have an answer. The interviewers are no fools and they can see through if you are just trying to walk through your way, without knowing what you are talking about. Be frank about your knowledge skill and do not write anything on your CV, which you may have heard of or just touched but not have enough knowledge to talk about (like expect scripts, etc.)

Interview Questions

• Given a dictionary, with all possible anagrams of a word, how would you test it out and what is the Data Structure that you will use to construct it with Design of the same.   View Answers (2)
  • How would you kill all processes for user "abc" with name xyz, using only a single command on the command line of UNIX/FreeBSD system. You are allowed to use pipes and sudo commands. Use of killall is not permitted.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Had some personal issues on the compensation being offered and the number of Shares in the form of ESOP and RSU.

Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview Details – Interview process was there for a month
I underwent 3 telephonic rounds and 2 technical rounds followed by a HR Round
Interview process was smooth

Interview Question – Finding the second highest employee salary using SQL   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Compensation was good enough ..

Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in September 2009.

Interview Details – I had 5 rounds of f2f interview on a single - all technical. All the questions asked were relevant. As I was being interview for a automation framework development role, the questions asked were all technical, questions that you can expect in interviews for development positions.

Later on I had 2 telephonic discussions on 2 separate occasions. One of them was a technical discussions with one of my teammates. The other one was a general discussion with my to-be manager.

Interview Question – The good thing about Yahoo interviews is that they take care to understand your profile ans ask relevant questions. Nothing unexpected or awkward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yahoo! offered me more than what I had asked for. I came to know after I joined the company that it was very low for my designation or experience.
So when you negotiate with Yahoo make sure that you know what is the standard salary for the role you are joining. If you ask for a low salary, Yahoo (or any company) would not bother to give you salary according to their standards

Senior QA Engineer

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo in December 2010.

Interview Details – The interview took me about 4 hours. Most of interview questions was related to technical questions : counting words in the file in perl , basic C/C++ questions like memory leaking, passing value and references, write the small program ...

Interview Question – tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Yahoo

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Yahoo Senior QA Engineer interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by Yahoo employees and interview candidates.