Yahoo

Yahoo Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

Getting the Interview

23 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Carlsbad, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in May 2013.

Interview Details – There are two phone interviews before the onsite interviews. I made to the second phone interview. The goal of the first interview seemed to mainly be about getting a good feel for the candidate. The interviewer asked me about past projects I had worked on and any problems that I had to overcome. The second phone interview was a technical test. He asked me technical questions, many of which I had found online from past candidates. The twist was how well you knew the subject, and not necessarily whether or not you got the correct answer. This interviewer's tactic was to continuously ask me "how can you make that solution better" after each question. He told me I got most answers correct, yet I stumbled each time he asked me to find a better solution. The stumbling, I feel, kept me from the onsite interviews.

Interview Question – How can you tell if a linked list is circular (goes on forever because it connects to a previous node)?   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Yahoo in January 2008.

Interview Details – I cleared 5 rounds of interview for a job offer from Yahoo!. There are 2 telephonic and 3 1:1 interview rounds about a span of 45mintues to 1hour. The main focus of interview are on your mentioned skill set and analytical skills. Be strong and confident on basics.

Interview Questions

• How do you sort an array that consists of only zeros and ones in only one pass
    Design a chat server
    Reversed linked list
      Answer Question
  • What is a virtual function, virtual class, pure virtual function?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in July 2010.

Interview Details – provided 360 degree interview with 9 people, from developers, qe, se, re, to project managers, and product managers,
people are very friendly, and encourage for new ideas and comfort.
initially contacted by hiring manager over the phone, described position with clear description, and clear understanding.
HR staff members are considerate, and offered lots of help in answers all job related questions.

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yahoo in May 2009.

Interview Details – Did not applied directly, received email from the internal staffing department, set initial phone screening in about a few days, it went well: were basic technical background questions about c++/java. The onsite interview was in a week with seven people (five engineers, staffing person and group director). The engineering questions were mostly about data structures and algorithms complexity, several tasks required white board coding, almost nothing regarding previous job experience, accomplishments and the like. People were friendly and very intelligent. The overall experience from interview: despite the outcome (did not go to the next level) it was very educational.

Interview Questions

• How to determine whether the stack grows up or down?   View Answer
  • remove the node from the single linked list having only pointer to that node   View Answers (2)

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Yahoo in December 2008.

Interview Details – The best interview experience in my career, and I've been to quite a few interviews.

After an email, I got a call for a phone screening. For some reason I was expecting HR person, instead talked to the hiring manager. He asked just the right questions that painted an exact picture of my skill level - how much I do know and where are the limits of my knowledge and experience. In general, I'm straightforward and honest person when it comes to interviews, I don't exaggerate my skills to present in a better light. But still it was uncanny how the person asked the questions that will give an accurate idea of me as a developer and employee. Usually you can cheat your way through an interview process, but not with Yahoo.

Then there was an onsite interview with 4 people and the hiring manager again before and after the others, including informal chat over coffee in the excellent Santa Monica Yahoo! Center.

Overall very challenging phone screening and a relaxed and friendly onsite experience.

Interview Question – Did you have a chance to hit the beach before the interview? :)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate 5% on top of the offer. Advice: ask for it, what do you have to lose?

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in April 2008.

Interview Details – Recruiter introduced me to the hiring team. There's a team of people dedicated to hiring at the time. Initial phone screen was pretty easy. Onsite interview consists of 5 people. A lot of grilling from 3 out of 5. The other 2 are more behavioral.

Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Yahoo in December 2012.

Interview Details – 2 - written Rounds(1objective+one programming round)
4 Round interview(3 technical+1 hr)

Interview Question – 2 written test is deciding factor   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no such phase

Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo in September 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process was very straightforward and simple. The first step was the telephonic round. I was interviewed by 2 people over the phone. This was a test of basic technical skills.

After clearing this round, I was contacted by the recruiter who arranged for me to come down to Bangalore for 1:1 interviews.

In Bangalore, I went through 3 interview rounds from 10am to 4pm, with a break for lunch. Within a couple of days, I was contacted with an offer, which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Using HTML and CSS, code up a three column layout.   Answer Question
  • Typical JavaScript questions, also basic stuff like coding up a Fibonacci Series in JS.   Answer Question

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Yahoo in July 2013.

Interview Details – I was asked about circular linked list, quick and merge sort algorithms. Also couple of questions on Hashing and then moved to Sets and Maps. Overall it was easy. Waiting for the interview results.

Interview Question – No questions were unexpected. Most of them on expected lines on algorithms.   Answer Question

Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo in April 2011.

Interview Details – It took whole day to complete the process. Surprised by the kind of people and kind of technical questions asked. Probably I had over expectations. There is no focus on potential, thought process and problem sloving skills but just very syntax and JCP kind of questions. There is no intelligence in the questions so very disappointed. Lots of API related questions which no software engineer need to by heart. Looks like Yahoo standard has been going down.

Interview Question – the order of java qualifiers   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Yahoo

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Yahoo Senior Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 23 interview reviews posted anonymously by Yahoo employees and interview candidates.