Yahoo Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Yahoo in December 2008.

The best interview experience in my career, and I've been to quite a few interviews.

After an email, I got a call for a phone screening. For some reason I was expecting HR person, instead talked to the hiring manager. He asked just the right questions that painted an exact picture of my skill level - how much I do know and where are the limits of my knowledge and experience. In general, I'm straightforward and honest person when it comes to interviews, I don't exaggerate my skills to present in a better light. But still it was uncanny how the person asked the questions that will give an accurate idea of me as a developer and employee. Usually you can cheat your way through an interview process, but not with Yahoo.

Then there was an onsite interview with 4 people and the hiring manager again before and after the others, including informal chat over coffee in the excellent Santa Monica Yahoo! Center.

Overall very challenging phone screening and a relaxed and friendly onsite experience.

Interview Questions
  • Did you have a chance to hit the beach before the interview? :)   Answer Question
I was able to negotiate 5% on top of the offer. Advice: ask for it, what do you have to lose?

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in April 2008.

Recruiter introduced me to the hiring team. There's a team of people dedicated to hiring at the time. Initial phone screen was pretty easy. Onsite interview consists of 5 people. A lot of grilling from 3 out of 5. The other 2 are more behavioral.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yahoo in May 2009.

Did not applied directly, received email from the internal staffing department, set initial phone screening in about a few days, it went well: were basic technical background questions about c++/java. The onsite interview was in a week with seven people (five engineers, staffing person and group director). The engineering questions were mostly about data structures and algorithms complexity, several tasks required white board coding, almost nothing regarding previous job experience, accomplishments and the like. People were friendly and very intelligent. The overall experience from interview: despite the outcome (did not go to the next level) it was very educational.

Interview Questions
    • How to determine whether the stack grows up or down?   View Answer
    • remove the node from the single linked list having only pointer to that node   View Answers (2)

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in July 2010.

provided 360 degree interview with 9 people, from developers, qe, se, re, to project managers, and product managers,
    people are very friendly, and encourage for new ideas and comfort.
    initially contacted by hiring manager over the phone, described position with clear description, and clear understanding.
    HR staff members are considerate, and offered lots of help in answers all job related questions.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Yahoo in January 2008.

I cleared 5 rounds of interview for a job offer from Yahoo!. There are 2 telephonic and 3 1:1 interview rounds about a span of 45mintues to 1hour. The main focus of interview are on your mentioned skill set and analytical skills. Be strong and confident on basics.

Interview Questions
    • How do you sort an array that consists of only zeros and ones in only one pass
      Design a chat server
      Reversed linked list

Answer Question
    • What is a virtual function, virtual class, pure virtual function?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Yahoo in September 2010.

The interview process was very straightforward and simple. The first step was the telephonic round. I was interviewed by 2 people over the phone. This was a test of basic technical skills.

After clearing this round, I was contacted by the recruiter who arranged for me to come down to Bangalore for 1:1 interviews.

In Bangalore, I went through 3 interview rounds from 10am to 4pm, with a break for lunch. Within a couple of days, I was contacted with an offer, which I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Using HTML and CSS, code up a three column layout.   Answer Question
    • Typical JavaScript questions, also basic stuff like coding up a Fibonacci Series in JS.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yahoo in December 2012.

2 - written Rounds(1objective+one programming round)
    4 Round interview(3 technical+1 hr)

no such phase

Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in May 2013.

There are two phone interviews before the onsite interviews. I made to the second phone interview. The goal of the first interview seemed to mainly be about getting a good feel for the candidate. The interviewer asked me about past projects I had worked on and any problems that I had to overcome. The second phone interview was a technical test. He asked me technical questions, many of which I had found online from past candidates. The twist was how well you knew the subject, and not necessarily whether or not you got the correct answer. This interviewer's tactic was to continuously ask me "how can you make that solution better" after each question. He told me I got most answers correct, yet I stumbled each time he asked me to find a better solution. The stumbling, I feel, kept me from the onsite interviews.

Interview Questions
    • How can you tell if a linked list is circular (goes on forever because it connects to a previous node)?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in April 2014.

I was referred to Yahoo! by a friend after which the hiring manager reached out to me with regards to an opening in a team which sounded really interesting. Instead of the usual telephone chat, I decided to walk into Yahoo HQ. We had an hour long conversation/interview where we primarily spoke about issues one would face writing software on linux platforms - OOM killer, cgroups, /proc. I felt this to be one of the best conversations.

After this, I was called onsite. For Yahoo!, this moved pretty quick. The hiring manager made a very sincere effort to hasten the onsite process. I met 3 people for my onsite.

++ Onsite 1 ++
    In a client/server scenario, serialize/de-serialize a balanced binary tree which is to be sent from the client to the server.
    Linux system programming fundamentals including /proc filesystem, OOM killer

++ Onsite 2 ++
    Linux system fundamentals - more /proc filesystem based questions
    Structure of a binary (assuming ELF) on Linux.
    Programmatically print the offset of a member inside a variable of struct type.
    Virtual Memory fundamentals

++ Onsite 3 ++
    Given a binary min heap, insert a new member.

Interview Questions

It wasn't a written offer. Yahoo! moves very slowly to send out a written offer after an onsite interview. This has come about after the introduction of a Googlesque hiring committee. For the hiring manager to get back to me after running the decision through the hiring committee would have taken anywhere between 2-4 weeks. I already had 2 other offers and had to make a choice. If it wasn't for this delay, I would have most certainly accepted Yahoo's offer.

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Yahoo in July 2013.

I was asked about circular linked list, quick and merge sort algorithms. Also couple of questions on Hashing and then moved to Sets and Maps. Overall it was easy. Waiting for the interview results.

Interview Questions
    • No questions were unexpected. Most of them on expected lines on algorithms.   Answer Question