Yahoo Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 9, 2014

3.1

26 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in January 2010.

First time through was quite a cursory interview. I had come from Microsoft, where I interviewed in the late nineties. During that time, Microsoft interviews were infamous for difficulty (now they would be akin to Google interviews). My Yahoo interview, by contrast, was cushy. When I came back to Yahoo a second time, I didn't even formally interview. We just set up the HR appointment and went through the motions. That explains how Yahoo has bloated in the way that it has.

Interview Questions
  • Design a crossword puzzle generation algorithm   View Answer
Short and amicable

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in April 2014.

I was referred to Yahoo! by a friend after which the hiring manager reached out to me with regards to an opening in a team which sounded really interesting. Instead of the usual telephone chat, I decided to walk into Yahoo HQ. We had an hour long conversation/interview where we primarily spoke about issues one would face writing software on linux platforms - OOM killer, cgroups, /proc. I felt this to be one of the best conversations.

After this, I was called onsite. For Yahoo!, this moved pretty quick. The hiring manager made a very sincere effort to hasten the onsite process. I met 3 people for my onsite.

++ Onsite 1 ++
    In a client/server scenario, serialize/de-serialize a balanced binary tree which is to be sent from the client to the server.
    Linux system programming fundamentals including /proc filesystem, OOM killer

++ Onsite 2 ++
    Linux system fundamentals - more /proc filesystem based questions
    Structure of a binary (assuming ELF) on Linux.
    Programmatically print the offset of a member inside a variable of struct type.
    Virtual Memory fundamentals

++ Onsite 3 ++
    Given a binary min heap, insert a new member.

Interview Questions

It wasn't a written offer. Yahoo! moves very slowly to send out a written offer after an onsite interview. This has come about after the introduction of a Googlesque hiring committee. For the hiring manager to get back to me after running the decision through the hiring committee would have taken anywhere between 2-4 weeks. I already had 2 other offers and had to make a choice. If it wasn't for this delay, I would have most certainly accepted Yahoo's offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yahoo in April 2014.

I applied online and was contacted via email to arrange a phone interview a few days later. The interview consistent for frequent communication problems, but not because of the phone. In fact, the interviewer spoke poor English and was very difficult to understand. When I mentioned I was having trouble understand him, he would just repeat himself, which usually ended up being very broken English or total gibberish. After attempting to field a single technical question, I decided this was not a manager I could communicate with and ended the interview. Also note, I was only informed of the need for a computer after the interview had started -- we never got to the coding as I ended the interview early.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part was understanding what the interviewer was saying.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in May 2013.

There are two phone interviews before the onsite interviews. I made to the second phone interview. The goal of the first interview seemed to mainly be about getting a good feel for the candidate. The interviewer asked me about past projects I had worked on and any problems that I had to overcome. The second phone interview was a technical test. He asked me technical questions, many of which I had found online from past candidates. The twist was how well you knew the subject, and not necessarily whether or not you got the correct answer. This interviewer's tactic was to continuously ask me "how can you make that solution better" after each question. He told me I got most answers correct, yet I stumbled each time he asked me to find a better solution. The stumbling, I feel, kept me from the onsite interviews.

Interview Questions
    • How can you tell if a linked list is circular (goes on forever because it connects to a previous node)?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Yahoo in July 2013.

I was asked about circular linked list, quick and merge sort algorithms. Also couple of questions on Hashing and then moved to Sets and Maps. Overall it was easy. Waiting for the interview results.

Interview Questions
    • No questions were unexpected. Most of them on expected lines on algorithms.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter.
    everything was done professionally.
    i was challenged by some very smart people.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yahoo in December 2012.

2 - written Rounds(1objective+one programming round)
    4 Round interview(3 technical+1 hr)

no such phase

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Yahoo in September 2010.

The interview process was very straightforward and simple. The first step was the telephonic round. I was interviewed by 2 people over the phone. This was a test of basic technical skills.

After clearing this round, I was contacted by the recruiter who arranged for me to come down to Bangalore for 1:1 interviews.

In Bangalore, I went through 3 interview rounds from 10am to 4pm, with a break for lunch. Within a couple of days, I was contacted with an offer, which I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Using HTML and CSS, code up a three column layout.   Answer Question
    • Typical JavaScript questions, also basic stuff like coding up a Fibonacci Series in JS.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Yahoo in January 2008.

I cleared 5 rounds of interview for a job offer from Yahoo!. There are 2 telephonic and 3 1:1 interview rounds about a span of 45mintues to 1hour. The main focus of interview are on your mentioned skill set and analytical skills. Be strong and confident on basics.

Interview Questions
    • How do you sort an array that consists of only zeros and ones in only one pass
      Design a chat server
      Reversed linked list
        Answer Question
    • What is a virtual function, virtual class, pure virtual function?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in June 2010.

Interviewed for backend position.
    Phone screening was mostly revolved around servers scalability issues and connection stacking.
    Personal interview is mainly based on my previous projects and technologies.
    Whole experience was smooth

Interview Questions
    • How to deal with the scenario of connection stacking and number of open connections in a mail server?   Answer Question