Yahoo

Average Difficulty
26 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in April 2008.

Interview Details – Recruiter introduced me to the hiring team. There's a team of people dedicated to hiring at the time. Initial phone screen was pretty easy. Onsite interview consists of 5 people. A lot of grilling from 3 out of 5. The other 2 are more behavioral.

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in June 2010.

Interview Details – I got a call from a software developer who spoke in a monotone, was difficult to understand and hung up on me without saying "bye". He didn't want to tell me about the position and always wanted to call back. I gave up and e-mailed him that I wasn't interested. Two weeks later, a Yahoo! recruiter contacted me, asking if I heard from anybody at Yahoo! yet and if I was still interested. I was still interested but was not interested in that first software developer. I got an e-mail from a second software developer with a vague job description for the Yahoo! Mail group which was looking for anybody from a rock star new grad to somebody with 15+ years of experience plus "only true ninjas need apply" (exact quote). I got a call from the second software developer. He was pleasant and asked me basic questions about Java interfaces, Java static members, Java inheritance, JavaScript innerHTML, JavaScript document.all, design patterns and big O notation. I answered all questions but told him that big O notation and design patterns were not very interesting to me so he asked very few questions on those topics. A day later, I got an e-mail rejection from a person in HR. I wrote a followup e-mail to the second software developer but no response yet. My general impression is that Yahoo! has Google-envy: they want to build a rep where their hiring process is needlessly long, illogical, arbitrary, rude and obscure so they can be just like Google!

Interview Questions

• What is a static method in Java and how does it differ from a non-static method?   Answer Question
  • What is a Java interface and how does implements differ from extends?   Answer Question
  • What is a design pattern? Name and describe one or two design patterns.   Answer Question
  • Do you know what big O notation is?   View Answer
  • In JavaScript, what is innerHTML and what do you use it for?   Answer Question

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo in February 2010.

Interview Details – While happy with my current job, I got connected to the recruiter through LinkedIn who forwarded my resume to one of the teams. I had a phone interview with Yahoo! Mail Search team. Questions asked were something like finding possible substrings in the string and some C++ concept questions. The interviewer was the worst interviewer I have ever experienced. I was pretty sure that she didn't bother going through my resume before the phone interview. She was very rude and was not paying attention to my answers. At the end, we ran out of time and she didn't let me ask questions because she was in hurry to get off the phone.

Interview Question – write a program that finds all repeated substrings in the string and provide the complexity of this program. how can you make it to perform better in time and memory?   Answer Question

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in February 2010.

Interview Details – First I had a phone interview. In the interview, interviewer asked C++ questions and puzzles. C++ questions were easy (standard questions) and puzzles were little difficult and I never expected puzzles in the phone interview (huh... wasting your minutes by thinking a solution to the puzzle??? ). Anyway, I solved 2 of 3.

Interview Question – What is a Copy Constructor, Virtual functions, destructor etc.   Answer Question

Santa Clara, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in October 2009.

Interview Details – the phone interview was quite easy. Standard algorithm questions. Questions on threads, performance analysis of c++ processes on unix / linux systems and some c++ questions on pointers.

The 1:1 interview was little more theoretical on design patterns, and object orientation. I was also asked to design a class and asked to compare c++ v/s java. Other folks asked about my past experiences and how I solved some problems in the past (situational/behavioral).

Interview Questions

• benefits of object orientation? Why object orientation? Expect very specific responses.   Answer Question
  • Design patterns - names of the specific patterns, and their abstraction and their higher level groupings, names etc.   Answer Question
  • Exception handling in C++, object splicing, and stack unwinding.   Answer Question

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Yahoo in December 2008.

Interview Details – The best interview experience in my career, and I've been to quite a few interviews.

After an email, I got a call for a phone screening. For some reason I was expecting HR person, instead talked to the hiring manager. He asked just the right questions that painted an exact picture of my skill level - how much I do know and where are the limits of my knowledge and experience. In general, I'm straightforward and honest person when it comes to interviews, I don't exaggerate my skills to present in a better light. But still it was uncanny how the person asked the questions that will give an accurate idea of me as a developer and employee. Usually you can cheat your way through an interview process, but not with Yahoo.

Then there was an onsite interview with 4 people and the hiring manager again before and after the others, including informal chat over coffee in the excellent Santa Monica Yahoo! Center.

Overall very challenging phone screening and a relaxed and friendly onsite experience.

Interview Question – Did you have a chance to hit the beach before the interview? :)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate 5% on top of the offer. Advice: ask for it, what do you have to lose?

Sunnyvale, CA

The process took 4 days - interviewed at Yahoo in August 2009.

Interview Details – I had 2 rounds of telephonic interviews:
Round 1:
Basic C++ questions
- Difference between new and malloc
- Virtual functions
- VTable
- Virtual Destructors
- REST/SOAP
- Difference between POST and GET

Round 2:
- Difference between thread and process.
- Spinlocks
- Semaphores
- Segmentation faults
- Shared memory programming for interprocess communication

Interview Question – Linux platform specific questions: What exact error is thrown when access violations happen?   View Answers (2)

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yahoo in May 2009.

Interview Details – Did not applied directly, received email from the internal staffing department, set initial phone screening in about a few days, it went well: were basic technical background questions about c++/java. The onsite interview was in a week with seven people (five engineers, staffing person and group director). The engineering questions were mostly about data structures and algorithms complexity, several tasks required white board coding, almost nothing regarding previous job experience, accomplishments and the like. People were friendly and very intelligent. The overall experience from interview: despite the outcome (did not go to the next level) it was very educational.

Interview Questions

• How to determine whether the stack grows up or down?   View Answer
  • remove the node from the single linked list having only pointer to that node   View Answers (2)

Very Easy Interview

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo in September 2008.

Interview Details – its ok. pretty ordinary. nothing spectacular. i don't think the interviewers were very chorent in the sense, i doubt if they shared their feedback between themselves while the interviews were in progress. at least, it didn't seem like it.

Interview Question – booster code in C : working example   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – once the offer was on the table, they weren't open to negotiating the base salary.

Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Yahoo in December 2012.

Interview Details – 2 - written Rounds(1objective+one programming round)
4 Round interview(3 technical+1 hr)

Interview Question – 2 written test is deciding factor   Answer Question