Yahoo Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Yahoo in February 2010.

While happy with my current job, I got connected to the recruiter through LinkedIn who forwarded my resume to one of the teams. I had a phone interview with Yahoo! Mail Search team. Questions asked were something like finding possible substrings in the string and some C++ concept questions. The interviewer was the worst interviewer I have ever experienced. I was pretty sure that she didn't bother going through my resume before the phone interview. She was very rude and was not paying attention to my answers. At the end, we ran out of time and she didn't let me ask questions because she was in hurry to get off the phone.

Interview Questions
  • write a program that finds all repeated substrings in the string and provide the complexity of this program. how can you make it to perform better in time and memory?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in February 2010.

First I had a phone interview. In the interview, interviewer asked C++ questions and puzzles. C++ questions were easy (standard questions) and puzzles were little difficult and I never expected puzzles in the phone interview (huh... wasting your minutes by thinking a solution to the puzzle??? ). Anyway, I solved 2 of 3.

Interview Questions
    • What is a Copy Constructor, Virtual functions, destructor etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in January 2010.

First time through was quite a cursory interview. I had come from Microsoft, where I interviewed in the late nineties. During that time, Microsoft interviews were infamous for difficulty (now they would be akin to Google interviews). My Yahoo interview, by contrast, was cushy. When I came back to Yahoo a second time, I didn't even formally interview. We just set up the HR appointment and went through the motions. That explains how Yahoo has bloated in the way that it has.

Interview Questions
    • Design a crossword puzzle generation algorithm   View Answer
    Short and amicable

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in October 2009.

the phone interview was quite easy. Standard algorithm questions. Questions on threads, performance analysis of c++ processes on unix / linux systems and some c++ questions on pointers.

The 1:1 interview was little more theoretical on design patterns, and object orientation. I was also asked to design a class and asked to compare c++ v/s java. Other folks asked about my past experiences and how I solved some problems in the past (situational/behavioral).

Interview Questions
    • benefits of object orientation? Why object orientation? Expect very specific responses.   Answer Question
    • Design patterns - names of the specific patterns, and their abstraction and their higher level groupings, names etc.   Answer Question
    • Exception handling in C++, object splicing, and stack unwinding.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Yahoo in August 2009.

I had 2 rounds of telephonic interviews:
    Round 1:
    Basic C++ questions
    - Difference between new and malloc
    - Virtual functions
    - VTable
    - Virtual Destructors
    - REST/SOAP
    - Difference between POST and GET

Round 2:
    - Difference between thread and process.
    - Spinlocks
    - Semaphores
    - Segmentation faults
    - Shared memory programming for interprocess communication

Interview Questions
    • Linux platform specific questions: What exact error is thrown when access violations happen?   View Answers (2)

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yahoo in May 2009.

Did not applied directly, received email from the internal staffing department, set initial phone screening in about a few days, it went well: were basic technical background questions about c++/java. The onsite interview was in a week with seven people (five engineers, staffing person and group director). The engineering questions were mostly about data structures and algorithms complexity, several tasks required white board coding, almost nothing regarding previous job experience, accomplishments and the like. People were friendly and very intelligent. The overall experience from interview: despite the outcome (did not go to the next level) it was very educational.

Interview Questions
    • How to determine whether the stack grows up or down?   View Answer
    • remove the node from the single linked list having only pointer to that node   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Yahoo in December 2008.

The best interview experience in my career, and I've been to quite a few interviews.

After an email, I got a call for a phone screening. For some reason I was expecting HR person, instead talked to the hiring manager. He asked just the right questions that painted an exact picture of my skill level - how much I do know and where are the limits of my knowledge and experience. In general, I'm straightforward and honest person when it comes to interviews, I don't exaggerate my skills to present in a better light. But still it was uncanny how the person asked the questions that will give an accurate idea of me as a developer and employee. Usually you can cheat your way through an interview process, but not with Yahoo.

Then there was an onsite interview with 4 people and the hiring manager again before and after the others, including informal chat over coffee in the excellent Santa Monica Yahoo! Center.

Overall very challenging phone screening and a relaxed and friendly onsite experience.

Interview Questions
    • Did you have a chance to hit the beach before the interview? :)   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate 5% on top of the offer. Advice: ask for it, what do you have to lose?

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Yahoo in September 2008.

its ok. pretty ordinary. nothing spectacular. i don't think the interviewers were very chorent in the sense, i doubt if they shared their feedback between themselves while the interviews were in progress. at least, it didn't seem like it.

Interview Questions
    once the offer was on the table, they weren't open to negotiating the base salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in April 2008.

Recruiter introduced me to the hiring team. There's a team of people dedicated to hiring at the time. Initial phone screen was pretty easy. Onsite interview consists of 5 people. A lot of grilling from 3 out of 5. The other 2 are more behavioral.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yahoo in December 2012.

2 - written Rounds(1objective+one programming round)
    4 Round interview(3 technical+1 hr)

no such phase