Yahoo

Updated Jul 9, 2014

3.1

26 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yahoo in July 2011.

Attended the interview today!!!
Knew in advance that for them Experience level does not matter.
So prepared on data structure and algorithms for a week.

Initial round Phone interview(30 min) :-
Asked basic details about my work, then suddenly datastructure questions.

1) Find median from continuously changing stream of data.
2) Find 2nd maximum in array.
3) Find nth largest in Array.

-------------

Called for f2f discussion.
All 3 technical and one hiring manager rounds consisted of only data structures.

No one asked anything in Java. Though I was called as Java requirement.
Dont know why so much concentration on data structures only.

Also, I feel my skills were not matching, as they wanted someone who has worked on PHP,Perl.

Honestly, I was not expecting negative reply but I guess my 2nd technical round and skills impacted my interview.

At the end I feel that if you want to go to yahoo, then study like a fresher preparing for your first job. Experience level doesn't matter.

Interview Questions
  • 1) Write merge function to merge 2 arrays into single array.
    2) Find the length of linked list loop.
    3) How to get the values of two elements from array whose sum is N.

2nd round :
    1) Get nth largest/smallest from BST.
    2) How will you remove duplicate paragraph from big file.
        Told hashmap, asked me to write hashcode :-(
    3) Perform merge of multiple arrays. (k way merge)
        Thought for sometime, but could not tell. :-(

3rd round :
    1) Middle of linked list
    2) sum in binary search tree
    3) Some unix questions.
    4) How will u design Google maps or yahoo maps.

4th Round :
    Puzzle on 25 horses.

View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Yahoo in April 2011.

It took whole day to complete the process. Surprised by the kind of people and kind of technical questions asked. Probably I had over expectations. There is no focus on potential, thought process and problem sloving skills but just very syntax and JCP kind of questions. There is no intelligence in the questions so very disappointed. Lots of API related questions which no software engineer need to by heart. Looks like Yahoo standard has been going down.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Yahoo in January 2011.

4-5 technical interviews and one written

Interview Questions
    • How will you design the Google like autocomplete feature on their front page   Answer Question
    NA

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Yahoo in September 2010.

The interview process was very straightforward and simple. The first step was the telephonic round. I was interviewed by 2 people over the phone. This was a test of basic technical skills.

After clearing this round, I was contacted by the recruiter who arranged for me to come down to Bangalore for 1:1 interviews.

In Bangalore, I went through 3 interview rounds from 10am to 4pm, with a break for lunch. Within a couple of days, I was contacted with an offer, which I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Using HTML and CSS, code up a three column layout.   Answer Question
    • Typical JavaScript questions, also basic stuff like coding up a Fibonacci Series in JS.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in July 2010.

provided 360 degree interview with 9 people, from developers, qe, se, re, to project managers, and product managers,
    people are very friendly, and encourage for new ideas and comfort.
    initially contacted by hiring manager over the phone, described position with clear description, and clear understanding.
    HR staff members are considerate, and offered lots of help in answers all job related questions.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Yahoo in January 2008.

I cleared 5 rounds of interview for a job offer from Yahoo!. There are 2 telephonic and 3 1:1 interview rounds about a span of 45mintues to 1hour. The main focus of interview are on your mentioned skill set and analytical skills. Be strong and confident on basics.

Interview Questions
    • How do you sort an array that consists of only zeros and ones in only one pass
      Design a chat server
      Reversed linked list

Answer Question
    • What is a virtual function, virtual class, pure virtual function?   Answer Question