Yahoo

Updated Sep 20, 2014

2.5

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Yahoo in August 2014.

I was advised it was going to be a 2 months process.
I had already contract for Yahoo so I went directly to the 5-hour interview with five interviewers.

Interview Questions
  • Interview was very technical, ranging from easy questions such as how to get the return code for a command ($?), how to find out swapping usage, how to troubleshoot an slow web site( cluster of 400 hosts) to how to troubleshoot one specific ads not showing on the web site. Questions about scripting, such as how parallelize a curl to different hosts. How to implement monitoring (either passive or active and why). Explain SSL handshake. Implement manually a log rotation. Troubleshoot machine rebooting very often. Unix internals: concept of stack,heap. Describe in detail your biggest accomplishments.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Yahoo in February 2012.

The interview was good, the problem was parking was a pain to figure out where the guest parking was. I hate the stupid questions on tech like "if you had this problem, how would you fix it?" Really most of the questions are good for people with less then 10 years of experience but if you been doing it for a long time, you grow tired of the silly questions like "how do you reboot a computer".

Interview Questions
    • write a script to be able to expand this regular expression and print out the results
      host0[000-100].foo.yahoo.com

should return
      host0000.foo.yahoo.com
      ...
      host0100.foo.yahoo.com

View Answers (2)
    • if you try to ping or ssh to a host and can not, what do you look for   View Answer
    Told them this is what I want, they said this is what we can pay, and we met i the middle.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in October 2009.

Both were phone interviews they didnot call for onsite after second round. Both interviews lasted 45 mins
    First interview was straight forward screening interview . Interviewer just wanted to check if I knew basic tools and basic concepts about debugging. simple questions about what is ACL , If you have a network problem how will you go about debugging it.

Second interview was a bad experience. First of all the interviewer called 45 minutes late saying he forget he had to call me. Then for 10 mins he was wondering what to ask me. Then he picked up a web project I had worked on and started asking silly and random debuggng questions. The questions were so general I really didnot know what he was looking for whether he was looking for any specific tools or names ? The questions didnot seem to test my skills to much extent. The whole interview had a subjective feel to it and I cannot say they rejected me as I gave wrong answers in second interview rather he didnot like my answers.

Interview Questions
    • If you have a network problem how will you try to debug it step by step   View Answer
    • What is ACL   View Answer

2 phoen screens, one onsite,
    difficult phone screens and 4 hour onsite.
    Technical completely

Service Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Yahoo in March 2008.

Yahoo! came to our college as the campus hiring process. We had following rounds in the interview:
    1. Written test: This was the tricky part, if you answer more Unix/Script related questions interviewer will select you for systems engineering regardless of your answer in Programming side (Probably because not many people will master this).
    2. 3 technical discussions: Generic questions, few can be tricky
    3. 1 programming round
    4. HR Round.

Interview Questions
    • Search for a string in a file with efficiency O(1). (Trick: Ask more about the data being stored).   Answer Question