Yahoo

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Developer

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Yahoo in November 2013.

Interview Details – Got selected by answering few technical questions during the career fair. Few weeks later got email to schedule an interview the next days. Two rounds of technical interview.

Questions about Networking, dynamic programming. Team requirement:
Data and communication
Distributed Systems

Interview Questions

• Dynamic Algorithm: All possible ways to reach a floor in a building if you can only tak 1 2 or 5 steps at a time   Answer Question
  • If you a huge dataset of numbers across multiple computers. How will you find the average of all the numbers.   Answer Question

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in November 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process with Yahoo began with a simple chat with a recruiter at my college career fair. Afterwards, I received an email asking me to apply online. What was different from most other companies is I didn't get a phone screen and instead Yahoo simply set up an on-site interview and flew me into their headquarters as part of a program known as Yahoo days.

When I arrived at the on-site, there were many other candidates there for the program. After signing in, we were all escorted to a large room where we were given an introduction of Yahoo and the program that they were doing. It seemed that this program was especially targeted at university graduates. After that we took a quick tour of the campus followed by lunch. Afterwards, we were all taken into separate rooms by our first interviewer.

There were a total of 4 interviews and it seemed each interview was focused on a specific area including data structures & algorithms, c/c++ or c/java programming, object-oriented/system design, and database/debugging/misc. The interviewers seemed like they had freedom to conduct the interview however they pleased. In general, all of the interviewers asked me questions about my resume and then lead into the more specific area targeted by the interview.

Interview Question – You are given a database table that keeps track of student data. The fields contain id, name, major, current year. How would you improve this table to be more efficient?   View Answers (3)

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Yahoo in June 2011.

Interview Details – It was very simple,
I was asked to crack one skill test on skillexam.com, And that was the main phase of the interview. After that they called me for interview as my marks were very good and 'skillexam' is not an easy skill test. And that round was only negotiation round they didn't asked technical questions to me! simply I got oppointment letter after 10 working days and still I am working in Yahoo, CA.

Interview Question – all questions were descriptive now I don't remember but you may find it on skillexam.com.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Santa Clara, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo in October 2010.

Interview Details – I was first called for a phone interview which was pretty simple and straightforward mainly asking questions on Data Structures and design related.
The after a week i was called for an onsite interview with 4 people.
The 1st round went well the interviewer asked me to write a tictactoe game on whiteboard.
The 2nd round went bad as the person kept asking me some mathematical problems.
The 3rd round went ok with the manager asked me few testing and QA questions which i suppose did not answer that well.
The 4th round was useless. The interviewer was just wasting time and reading my resume and seeing the clock.

Overall the interview experience sucked as they really did not test my skills.

Interview Questions

Software Developer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo in August 2009.

Interview Details – Was contacted by hiring manager. Conducted with a phone interview. Flew to Yahoo! HQ for rounds of in-person interviews.

People are very nice there. Total 8 people were involved including architect, QA, director, developers etc. Questions are ranging from coding, OO design, behaviours, past projects.

Interview Question – check whether a String is Palindrome or not?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Yahoo

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Yahoo Software Developer interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by Yahoo employees and interview candidates.