Yahoo

Average Difficulty
23 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview Details – Was contacted by a hiring manager after submitting my email during a campus career fair. Sent application and was soon asked by the hiring manager if I was available for a remote technical interview. Agreed on a time for later in the week. Come that time, I wait 15 minutes after I should be receiving a call before I contact the hiring manager asking whether the interview was still on. Hiring manager tries to say that we agreed on a different time all along despite our very clear email trail confirming and re-confirming our set time. Luckily I was available for the time that she claimed we were set for, but it left a very bad impression of unprofessional handling of the situation and disregard of my time (who doesn't apologize for their obvious mistake?).

Finally, during the actual interview, was paired with a current software development employee. Had a conversation portion in which we discussed my interests/experiences/etc. and then a technical phone portion where I was asked about various sorting algorithms and runtimes and then moved onto a google-doc esque environment where I was asked to implement mergesort.

The phone interviewer seemed very pleased with me and was suggesting I would be moving forward, but never heard from them again.

Interview Question – Implement mergesort in language of choice (chose java)   View Answer

Interviewed at Yahoo

Interview Details – Applied online and had an interview scheduled a few weeks after. The software engineer interviewing me asked a few behavioral questions and some technical questions regarding language specific elements. I had a second follow up phone interview that was more technical in nature and I was then sent an offer.

Interview Question – What does a hash function do?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume in the job fair on campus, and was contacted by the recruiter in Oct. 2013. Had two interviews in total. The hiring process was very very slow, and it was disorganized.

Interview Question – Find the anagrams among a list of words   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview Details – I had 2 rounds so far. I was asked basic questions in java like what is polymorphism, inheritence, garbage collection etc

Interview Question – it was related to datastructures   Answer Question

Interview Details – 2 rounds
R1 - Algorithms- Q: Sorted array rotated n times. Find element x. Basic java and linux questions.
R2 - Coding round- basic dynamic programming question.

Interviewed at Yahoo

Interview Details – I applied through campus career fair and got invitation that afternoon, interviewed next day

Interview Question – I went to library and had this interview with a Sr manager in mobile group.
He looked though my resume and asked almost all of my projects on resume, when it came to image process, he asked me about the detail of this algorithm. And I had also a android project, he asked me how to handle the situation if an operation took too long and the view was hanged there.
Also he asked about hash table and how to avoid collision.
  View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview Details – The process was slightly disorganized, but overall it was enjoyable. The process consisted of three interviews. The interviewers were all very friendly, and communicated clearly for the most part. Programming on Collabedit is the main part of the interview. One question focussed only on developing an algorithm, and another focussed on object oriented design.

Interview Question – Design the game Tic Tac Toe.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Software Engineering Intern
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in November 2013.

Interview Details – I met the initial person at a career fair. Eventually was contacted by HR for a phone interview. Had a 30 min phone interview. Few days later, got another email saying I would have a second phone interview. It went very well. It was 45 min.

First interview was more personal, behavioral, a bit technical. The dude asked me what I am interested in, what my experiences have been like.

Second interview was more technical. First he asked me about some technologies I have used in the past. Some details regarding android development. Then I had to do a coding question in collabedit.

Interview Question – Given two sets of numbers (as arrays) return the union of the two sets.   View Answer

Interview Details – Applied through university

Interview Question – given an unordered list of numbers find all pairs that add up to x   View Answer

Intern - Software Engineering Interview

Intern - Software Engineering
Sunnyvale, CA

Interview Details – After talking to the on-campus recruiter for a while, I got sent an email asking to schedule a phone interview. In that phone interview, I was asked one basic data structure question about hashtables and one web technology question about packets. I was passed to the next round, which was an interactive coding interview. Unfortunately, this was the first time that I had done an interactive coding session, and froze up a bit. I got the initial algorithm down fairly quickly, but could not fix a few bugs without several hints.

Interview Question – Given a string that contains a sentence, reverse each individual word in the sentence. For example, "Hello to this world" becomes "olleH ot siht dlrow"   View Answer

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!