Yahoo

Updated Feb 21, 2015
Updated Feb 21, 2015

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

The interviewer was a male and very polite. First he asked something from my resume such as what is my favorite projects. And then we started the technical questions. The technical questions covered a algorithm problem, a c programming problem, some basic stuff about STL in C++ and some other practical questions such as writing a bash. My performance was very bad.

Interview Questions
  • Write a example to show the use of bitset container in C++   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Yahoo.

Sat down for an afternoon of interviews after a few phone calls. The first interviewer did not know he was interviewing me until the morning of the interviews and took 15 minutes out of the 30 given for a technical interview asking about my background. He was unable to articulate his question about Hash tables. Outside of this poor experience, the other three interviewers were very interested in using the full 45 minutes provided to them to ask a question, and then dive deeper into space/time questions.

Interview Questions
    • Sample Questions:
      1 - Given a pre-order traversal of a BST represented by an array of integers, generate the tree
      2 - Given an infinite number of servers with an infinite amount integers on each server, return the median integer. Assume a finite amount of space and time.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yahoo.

Went to the Career Fair in our university and got the interview. The process included two rounds. Interviewers were interested in my data science background and were very friendly. While they asked a lot about my experience, they also shared a lot about Yahoo with me. Each interviewer asked one technical question. One is an open question such as what assumption will I add in order to develop a faster algorithm and how.

Interview Questions
    • What assumption will I add in order to develop a faster algorithm and how   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Yahoo.

Applied through College Career Fair, Had an onsite interview the next day. Did not get much time to prepare. It was a technical coding round. The interviewer directly started with questions. Was asked to write proper code. He gave some hints but I could not crack the problem.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked questions only on n-ary trees. Had not prepared for it.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in February 2015.

I submitted my resume on career fair last month. After a week, the recruiter scheduled two phone interviews with two senior software engineers. Basic questions in algorithm, data structure, object-oriented programming and operating system are covered. A coding process on Collaedit. Finally, they asked me if I had any questions.

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yahoo in February 2015.

Interview started with a few simple CS and Linux based questions, like one liners. The interviewer was nice and polite, asked about my experience and explained a bit about his team and his role etc. Then went into a programming question, which was easy to average question, but I messed in dealing with array and indexes, so didn't finish the solution in time, he helped me find the mistake and also told me the approach is correct, but there is a small mistake in juggling with indexes in the array operation. As we were user coderpad.com, I have to execute solution right there, so issue was obvious, if its a google doc or collabedit issue wouldn't be found so easy. I was pleased with the experience and interviewer's team, but bad luck.

Software Engineer Interview

Had three onsite interviews, which were easy to medium in difficulty. The interviewers did not seem that well prepared but everyone was in general friendly and competent.
    However, HR is a mess. It took them over three months from the day of my onsite interview to send me an actual offer letter, which is completely unacceptable. Furthermore they didn't communicate with me at all--they'd tell me they would get back to me that week and then not respond for another 2-3 weeks. And you can bet they won't reimburse you for your onsite interview.
    I had a good onsite interview experience and might even have considered Yahoo had their recruiting team not been so awful. It really reflects badly on the rest of the company.

Interview Questions
    • Coding question before the interviews started on your own personal computer, can't share however because of NDA   Answer Question

Had offers from better companies that were actually prompt in communicating with me

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yahoo.

I submitted on website, got the interview notification in one week. During the interview, the engineer asked me Java basics(such as abstract class/interface, multithreaded), and SQL(join / group), Operation system in very details. The whole interview finished in 30 mins.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Yahoo in January 2015.

Junior platform team SW engineer

Got onsite interview directly by employee referral. I was invited for onsite after 2 months. Interviewed with 4 people.

First: In a binary tree, prune leaves that are odd and have no even children, recursively.

Second: Deep Java and OO questions, inheritance, polymorphism, overloading, lots of question about collection framework, how they are implemented behind the scene and when to use which, downcasting and upcasting, complicated exceptions questions

Third (with the team lead): very random and irrelevant questions, TCP handshaking, DNS server, how Internet works end to end, variables alignment in memory, how cpu is connected to memory! how tomcat works and its thread pools, the interviewer was inconsistent and started and ended with a very negative impression, no question about Java or distributed systems

Forth: with the manager, he described Yahoo’s scaling up open problems and asked me how I would solve them, questions regarding scaling up redis, kafka, mesos, memcashed,…, I believe questions were appropriate for a senior positions

My suggestion is that if you are not from India, do not waste your time interviewing at yahoo platform team

Interview Questions
    • In a binary tree, prune leaves that are odd and have no even children, recursively.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo.

telephonic followed by a on site
    computer science back ground
    testing
    time complexity
    efficiency
    4 rounds of on site
    1 round of telephpnic screen and you will be asked to solve a question and they monitor it through collabedit or sites like that
    very basic questions in telephonic screen