Yahoo

Updated Jan 5, 2015

3.2

127 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yahoo.

I submitted on website, got the interview notification in one week. During the interview, the engineer asked me Java basics(such as abstract class/interface, multithreaded), and SQL(join / group), Operation system in very details. The whole interview finished in 30 mins.

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo.

telephonic followed by a on site
    computer science back ground
    testing
    time complexity
    efficiency
    4 rounds of on site
    1 round of telephpnic screen and you will be asked to solve a question and they monitor it through collabedit or sites like that
    very basic questions in telephonic screen

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in December 2014.

Having read through the reviews on glassdoor I wasn't expecting a smooth process either but since I am a local candidate I didn't have to go through the hassle of going through the travel/stay reimbursements etc. The reviews were true to the core that the recruitment process is a clear indication of the complete chaos in the company. I was invited for an onsite, after clearing the initial phone screen which was fairly a simpler algorithmic challenge. Just revisit your algorithms and data structures especially search, sort, list, trees, graphs, string manipulations etc. An advice to candidates is to not to over do the preparation as they come with a mind set expecting 'the' answer they were looking for and even if you out smart them with an efficient solution it's still frowned upon (which is rather untrue for most companies in the silicon valley).
    The onsite interviews were pathetic, with some interviewers jumping straight onto white-board coding without even a formal introduction. The questions ranged from generating random numbers between 1 and N given a function which returns 0 or 1 with equal probability (binary to decimal!), ways to provide contradicting assignment statements from a list of string assignments of the form ['a=b', 'c=d', 'd=b'] ['a!=d'] etc, string anagram matching, binary search trees. The engineers seemed technically sound/professional and will indeed provide you enough hints in case you run into troubled waters.

Interview Questions
    • A question involving indirect application of DFS on graph (to prove if a list of assignment statements contradict)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview for a position of software engineer in the ads & data team.

First part - coding exercise
    build a Boggle game and output the longest word
    use whatever language you want
    time to do the exercise: 1 hour

Second part - 3 interviews (white board coding)
    interviews related to your team
    Normal coding exercises (databases, regex and trees for me)

Interview Questions
    • Regex Question
      Build a function that takes one string and one regex expression in inputs and output true if the string matches the regex expression.
      string: a-z
      regex: a-z + * (where '*' matches 0 or more character and '+' matches one character)

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo.

Two phone interviews then got an on Site interview.
    1. design a calculator using C++

2. design a airport using C++
    3. Dynamic programming question
    4. data structure

Software Engineer Interview

I went to my university job fair and talked to Yahoo recruiter. They were interviewing people the next day and decided to give me a chance. I did not make it through the interview tho because I did a bad job and did not really have enough time to get prepared.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview Questions
    • Combine two lists of Object with different size into one   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yahoo in October 2014.

First round of Phone interview.Questions were general , More on Resume.
    Also this position is for a Big Data Team in Champaign,Illinois.
    1 ) Basics of Java
    2 ) One Design question on how you would design chess board
    3 ) basics on sql - creating a table,joins,having by,aggregate functions
    4 ) Basics on unix/linux
    5) One question on scalability

Interview Questions
    • Some puzzles , may be the question was easy , just couldn’t understand the language - how would you distribute 1000 potatoes in 10 baskets.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Yahoo in October 2014.

Three on-campus interviews in one day. Not hard. But need to focus on details. All of them are based on data structures and algorithms. Make sure you prepared well. Also be prepared to talk about your more recent work experience or your current project. The interviewers are also willing to share their current project descriptions with you.

Interview Questions
    • Told to implement a doubly linked-list. The interviewer focused on details. Need to be very careful.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Submit my resume on a career fair. Got a technical phone interview after 2 months. the questions are about data structure and algorithm. e.g. class of tree in C++. and a coding questions concerning tree traversal DFS and BFS.

Other competing offer