Yahoo Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014

3.2

108 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Submit my resume on a career fair. Got a technical phone interview after 2 months. the questions are about data structure and algorithm. e.g. class of tree in C++. and a coding questions concerning tree traversal DFS and BFS.

Other competing offer

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

interviewed at Yahoo in April 2014.

I had two phone screens. The first phone screen consisted of coding questions (how to print a singly linked list backwards) and the second phone screen was a conversation with the hiring mgr in which we talked about past projects I have worked on. These phone screens occurred over the course of 2 weeks. Next I was invited on site to speak with 4 people.

After 2 weeks I was told that I was not selected for the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in January 2010.

1 phone screen interview, followed by 3 days of 5-people interviews (+lunch interview) in a period of 1-2 weeks. Interviewed with people from 3+ teams different from the one that phone-screened me. Finally the team that phone-screened me hired me.

After I accepted the offer, while wrapping up my work in my previous company, the recruiter asked me to have a letter signed by my previous employer showing that I have completed everything we discussed when I gave them the 2-week notice, which I thought was unusual.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were typical coding questions, i.e. shuffle cards, merge sort using files, traversing trees, C++ related questions. One of the interviewers (probably non-technical) asked me a physics brain teaser which was unexpected, I don't remember the details.   Answer Question
    Although I got a decent increase from my previous job, I didn't negotiate and later found that I didn't get competitive compensation package. Advice: negotiate!

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Yahoo.

On compus career fair, talked to recruiter about the courses and projects
    Two months later got phone interview notification, then after a long time got scheduled exact phone interview to data&ads team.
    In the phone interview, it's just some simple questions. In the 45 minutes talk, first talked about resume projects, then several basic java questions and data structure programming problems.

Interview Questions
    • Something about how to optimize the programming solution if the memory is limited   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Yahoo in May 2013.

Interviewed in May 2013, on site with Yahoo for a position of Senior Engineer. Interviewers demonstrated complete and utter no interest. One asked me a question and looked in the ceiling, then got up and went away. Others were similarly disinterested as if it was a formality for them. I think my skills or experience didn't matter at all, and I was discriminated on the basis of race (I am white).

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Yahoo in June 2014.

I have only done the phone screening of which I found the engineer to be very polite. He asked me the difference between an array and a linked list. He also asked me two technical questions

Interview Questions
    • Find the least common ancestor in a tree where each node points to it's parent.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Had 1 phone screen then invited to onsite. I felt that Interviewers are not interested in interviewing candidates. Some interviewers told me that he is not sure what to ask as he does not work in the team I was interviewing. worst HR and worst interview process.I was interviewed for back end position but one interviewer was asking front end questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in February 2014.

Hiring process started with a recruiter and then a simple 1:1 phone interview. It was an easy question to solve a BST. Any comp sci student should know all Algos when you are applying to Yahoo!

Interview Questions
    • Prove number of nodes in a BST is 2^h - 1, h is height using Mathematical Induction! Huh! I learnt it in school but was fortunate enough to recall   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in February 2014.

Contacted by a hiring manager about an interview. The next week I had a technical phone interview.
    Questions:
    1. List all permutations of a string. E.g.; If you're given abc, the output should be abc, acb, bca, bac, cab, cba.
    2. Fibonacci series - both recursively and iteratively. Tell me which one is better in terms of memory and speed of execution.
    Did not hear back from them even after a month.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Yahoo in November 2013.

They cheated me out of money. They said they would reimburse my travel expenses but did not.

Also, in there original literary they wanted me to fly out at 9pm come in at like 5 am and then fly out at like 9pm that night and come home at 6am the next morning. I suppose they didn't want to pay for a hotel.

They had decent coffee and I met some nice people, but I can't get over being cheated out of money.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me about run length encoding. The guy asking me was rude and inarticulate. The scheme he was hinting at didn't actually work. He said it would work in all cases but one, but "we wouldn't cover that". The case the scheme doesn't work for is the one that is statistically most likely, so the scheme will generally lengthen the data you are trying to shorten.   View Answer

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!