Yahoo Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 27, 2014

3.2

117 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I went to my university job fair and talked to Yahoo recruiter. They were interviewing people the next day and decided to give me a chance. I did not make it through the interview tho because I did a bad job and did not really have enough time to get prepared.

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo.

Two phone interviews then got an on Site interview.
    1. design a calculator using C++

2. design a airport using C++
    3. Dynamic programming question
    4. data structure

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview Questions
    • Combine two lists of Object with different size into one   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yahoo in October 2014.

First round of Phone interview.Questions were general , More on Resume.
    Also this position is for a Big Data Team in Champaign,Illinois.
    1 ) Basics of Java
    2 ) One Design question on how you would design chess board
    3 ) basics on sql - creating a table,joins,having by,aggregate functions
    4 ) Basics on unix/linux
    5) One question on scalability

Interview Questions
    • Some puzzles , may be the question was easy , just couldn’t understand the language - how would you distribute 1000 potatoes in 10 baskets.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Submit my resume on a career fair. Got a technical phone interview after 2 months. the questions are about data structure and algorithm. e.g. class of tree in C++. and a coding questions concerning tree traversal DFS and BFS.

Other competing offer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in September 2014.

I received an email from the Corporate Connection of my college about Yahoo is hiring. I submitted my resume by replying to the email and got a phone interview the next day. Got the onsite interview in less than a week after the phone interview. The onsite interview was 6 hours long and free lunch was provided. Each interview section last about an hour, and it's either 1-1 or 1-2 but always only one person asking.

Interview Questions
    • Got database query questions and Unix commands questions which I don't quite remember   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Yahoo in August 2014.

Worst experience from a company. I talked to them at a college fair, where they asked me to interview with them next week. I get a call from them later in the day, asking that they have decided to have the interview the next day instead, and in their local office in Atlanta. The interview goes really well, and the recruiter actually said that he will recommend me for an on-site interview. I get a call later in the day from the recruiter (who met me at the fair), asking whether I had be interested in flying out to Sun Valley for a 2nd round of interviews. I told them yes, and that was the last time I actually talked to Yahoo. After more than 6 weeks, they have not gotten back in touch with me, not given me an email, a call, or anything. Emailed them too, but no one responded to my email.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions. One of them was verbatim from Career cup, which actually surprised me. I took my time though to make it seem I hadn't heard the question before. Also a coding question, reverse a linked list. Coding on white board. Simple actually.   View Answer

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Yahoo.

On compus career fair, talked to recruiter about the courses and projects
    Two months later got phone interview notification, then after a long time got scheduled exact phone interview to data&ads team.
    In the phone interview, it's just some simple questions. In the 45 minutes talk, first talked about resume projects, then several basic java questions and data structure programming problems.

Interview Questions
    • Something about how to optimize the programming solution if the memory is limited   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Had 1 phone screen then invited to onsite. I felt that Interviewers are not interested in interviewing candidates. Some interviewers told me that he is not sure what to ask as he does not work in the team I was interviewing. worst HR and worst interview process.I was interviewed for back end position but one interviewer was asking front end questions.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yahoo in June 2014.

I have only done the phone screening of which I found the engineer to be very polite. He asked me the difference between an array and a linked list. He also asked me two technical questions

Interview Questions
    • Find the least common ancestor in a tree where each node points to it's parent.   View Answer