Yahoo

Getting the Interview

100 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in February 2014.

Interview Details – Hiring process started with a recruiter and then a simple 1:1 phone interview. It was an easy question to solve a BST. Any comp sci student should know all Algos when you are applying to Yahoo!

Interview Question – Prove number of nodes in a BST is 2^h - 1, h is height using Mathematical Induction! Huh! I learnt it in school but was fortunate enough to recall   View Answer

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in February 2014.

Interview Details – Contacted by a hiring manager about an interview. The next week I had a technical phone interview.
Questions:
1. List all permutations of a string. E.g.; If you're given abc, the output should be abc, acb, bca, bac, cab, cba.
2. Fibonacci series - both recursively and iteratively. Tell me which one is better in terms of memory and speed of execution.
Did not hear back from them even after a month.

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yahoo in November 2013.

Interview Details – They cheated me out of money. They said they would reimburse my travel expenses but did not.

Also, in there original literary they wanted me to fly out at 9pm come in at like 5 am and then fly out at like 9pm that night and come home at 6am the next morning. I suppose they didn't want to pay for a hotel.

They had decent coffee and I met some nice people, but I can't get over being cheated out of money.

Interview Question – They asked me about run length encoding. The guy asking me was rude and inarticulate. The scheme he was hinting at didn't actually work. He said it would work in all cases but one, but "we wouldn't cover that". The case the scheme doesn't work for is the one that is statistically most likely, so the scheme will generally lengthen the data you are trying to shorten.   View Answer

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Yahoo in January 2014.

Interview Details – Interviewed with Yahoo as a new college grad. One phone coding interview, then invited to onsite for final interview where I had four one on one coding/puzzle interviews. Process took extremely long and my HR contact was very unorganized.

Interview Question – The most difficult question asked was to prove the upper bound on the number of nodes in a balanced binary tree. In order to prove it, the interviewer was looking for me to provide an inductive proof (this question caught me extremely off guard, have not done proofs in like three years). Definitely one of the more difficult interviews I have had, but I was very unprepared. My phone interviewer told me to expect an intense onsite coding interview where I was going to be expected to write an iOS application (experience is in mobile applications and I was interviewing for Yahoo Sports mobile). As a result, I spent a lot of time studying/practicing OOP and writing objective-c code. Much to my surprise when I was invited onsite, my interview was simply whiteboard coding questions. Most of the questions were binary tree and graph algorithm questions. In retrospect, I could have done much better on this interview if I were not misled by the previous engineer. Deep copy of a graph, dijkstras, order level tree traversal, big integer addition (just some of the questions). In short do not rely on engineers or HR to help you, study on your own and focus on graphs and trees.

HR made it a terrible experience. Engineers were also very anti-social and seemed to only care if you get the question right without regard for your approach. I also kept getting interrupted rudely while trying to write down code which confused me a lot and made me perform even worse. No point in working for or with people like that, imagine the frustration!
  Answer Question

Interviewed at Yahoo

Interview Details – It is a campus interview, i received the email days after the campus career fair. just went to their office and two interviewer asked me some questions about database, relations, searing, and also some basic algorithms, definitions of PHP stuff...

Interview Question – ask me to do the coding on the laptop/white board. real problem, not simple definition questions. you have to write to type,   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Yahoo in September 2013.

Interview Details – Recruiter contacted me for a phone interview with an Engineering team

Interview Question – All were knowledge-based questions related to HTML, CSS and other Web technologies during phone interview.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Yahoo in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through university career fair and it took 2 months to get a phone interview. And the interviewer asked about some basic stuff about java and TCP/IP. But I suffered from his accent, I did not understand what he said.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in November 2013.

Interview Details – I got the onsite interview from career fair.. there are 3 rounds and 45 min each...

Interview Question – the first round and the third one are basic data structures and algorithms questions. Like find the biggest kth number in an array.. But the second round asked a lot of database and operating system questions which I did not prepare...   Answer Question

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Yahoo in November 2013.

Interview Details – Had a phone screen followed by on site. On site were 5 rounds. Focussed on algorithms, trees, linked list questions. Also design questions on real world problems like shopping site design. They wanted code in Java code. went deeply into multithreading and design patterns and other internals into Java language. Some sorting/searching code. The interviewers were very polite and helped me through the answers. Few even said they would like to see me there but i got reject. HR are really bad here at communicating. They take long time to respond. I had to mail them multiple times to know. Well if they don't tell within 2 weeks, its reject. They never communicate if you are not selected.

Interview Question – dynamic programming question.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Yahoo

Interview Details – Two phone interviews. It is not that hard. The questions are about something on my resume and some basic programming techniques.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Yahoo

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Yahoo Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 100 interview reviews posted anonymously by Yahoo employees and interview candidates.