Yahoo Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 28, 2015
Updated Mar 28, 2015

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Yahoo.

It was one hour interview, went through my resume and started with a coding question over collab edit and HTML, CSS and Javascript questions. More questions on HTML and JavaScript.

Interview Questions
  • Give the top ten elements of the given array   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Software Engineering Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Yahoo.

I had 2 interviews on campus after meeting a recruiter in a job fair. My gpa was actually lower than their standards but they gave me an interview anyways. They asked me resume questions as well as give me an opportunity to explain why my gpa was low (3.4). Afterwords they asked me simple questions like reversing a linked list, and then asked me questions like what other offers do you have? I was then given the 2nd interview immediately afterwards, to which they asked 3 programming questions, like parsing a regular expression given a string, and designing monopoly and how to determine if a list has no duplicates.

Interview Questions
    • Design Monopoly.
      Given 2 strings, figure out if one is a reg expression of the other.

examples:
      Y-hoo, Yahoo -True
      Y*o, Yahoo -> True
      **hoo ->Yahoo True
      ya-* -> yahoo True

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Yahoo.

applied online and got a reply few days later.
    Then setup for a phone interview.
    I got a phone interview for an hour.
    I was asked to solve three coding questions, string sorting, simple linked list, and string hashing.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Yahoo in March 2015.

About 1 month after the career fair, HR contact me to schedule a phone interview. The guy interviewed me is a senior engineer at Yahoo. He did not ask about the project and ask me two algorithm quesitons. And both of them are very easy. It has been 2 weeks after the phone interview. I am still waiting for the result.

Interview Questions
    • Determine whether there is a loop in a linked lisk. Find the head of the loop. The questions are quite easy, and I figure out and write down in 15 minutes. However, the HR did not contact me after the interview.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

The interviewer was a male and very polite. First he asked something from my resume such as what is my favorite projects. And then we started the technical questions. The technical questions covered a algorithm problem, a c programming problem, some basic stuff about STL in C++ and some other practical questions such as writing a bash. My performance was very bad.

Interview Questions
    • Write a example to show the use of bitset container in C++   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Yahoo.

Sat down for an afternoon of interviews after a few phone calls. The first interviewer did not know he was interviewing me until the morning of the interviews and took 15 minutes out of the 30 given for a technical interview asking about my background. He was unable to articulate his question about Hash tables. Outside of this poor experience, the other three interviewers were very interested in using the full 45 minutes provided to them to ask a question, and then dive deeper into space/time questions.

Interview Questions
    • Sample Questions:
      1 - Given a pre-order traversal of a BST represented by an array of integers, generate the tree
      2 - Given an infinite number of servers with an infinite amount integers on each server, return the median integer. Assume a finite amount of space and time.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yahoo.

Went to the Career Fair in our university and got the interview. The process included two rounds. Interviewers were interested in my data science background and were very friendly. While they asked a lot about my experience, they also shared a lot about Yahoo with me. Each interviewer asked one technical question. One is an open question such as what assumption will I add in order to develop a faster algorithm and how.

Interview Questions
    • What assumption will I add in order to develop a faster algorithm and how   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Yahoo.

Applied through College Career Fair, Had an onsite interview the next day. Did not get much time to prepare. It was a technical coding round. The interviewer directly started with questions. Was asked to write proper code. He gave some hints but I could not crack the problem.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked questions only on n-ary trees. Had not prepared for it.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in February 2015.

I submitted my resume on career fair last month. After a week, the recruiter scheduled two phone interviews with two senior software engineers. Basic questions in algorithm, data structure, object-oriented programming and operating system are covered. A coding process on Collaedit. Finally, they asked me if I had any questions.

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yahoo in February 2015.

Interview started with a few simple CS and Linux based questions, like one liners. The interviewer was nice and polite, asked about my experience and explained a bit about his team and his role etc. Then went into a programming question, which was easy to average question, but I messed in dealing with array and indexes, so didn't finish the solution in time, he helped me find the mistake and also told me the approach is correct, but there is a small mistake in juggling with indexes in the array operation. As we were user coderpad.com, I have to execute solution right there, so issue was obvious, if its a google doc or collabedit issue wouldn't be found so easy. I was pleased with the experience and interviewer's team, but bad luck.