Yahoo

Updated Jan 26, 2015

3.2

129 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Had three onsite interviews, which were easy to medium in difficulty. The interviewers did not seem that well prepared but everyone was in general friendly and competent.
However, HR is a mess. It took them over three months from the day of my onsite interview to send me an actual offer letter, which is completely unacceptable. Furthermore they didn't communicate with me at all--they'd tell me they would get back to me that week and then not respond for another 2-3 weeks. And you can bet they won't reimburse you for your onsite interview.
I had a good onsite interview experience and might even have considered Yahoo had their recruiting team not been so awful. It really reflects badly on the rest of the company.

Interview Questions
  • Coding question before the interviews started on your own personal computer, can't share however because of NDA   Answer Question

Had offers from better companies that were actually prompt in communicating with me

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yahoo.

I submitted on website, got the interview notification in one week. During the interview, the engineer asked me Java basics(such as abstract class/interface, multithreaded), and SQL(join / group), Operation system in very details. The whole interview finished in 30 mins.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo.

telephonic followed by a on site
    computer science back ground
    testing
    time complexity
    efficiency
    4 rounds of on site
    1 round of telephpnic screen and you will be asked to solve a question and they monitor it through collabedit or sites like that
    very basic questions in telephonic screen

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in December 2014.

Having read through the reviews on glassdoor I wasn't expecting a smooth process either but since I am a local candidate I didn't have to go through the hassle of going through the travel/stay reimbursements etc. The reviews were true to the core that the recruitment process is a clear indication of the complete chaos in the company. I was invited for an onsite, after clearing the initial phone screen which was fairly a simpler algorithmic challenge. Just revisit your algorithms and data structures especially search, sort, list, trees, graphs, string manipulations etc. An advice to candidates is to not to over do the preparation as they come with a mind set expecting 'the' answer they were looking for and even if you out smart them with an efficient solution it's still frowned upon (which is rather untrue for most companies in the silicon valley).
    The onsite interviews were pathetic, with some interviewers jumping straight onto white-board coding without even a formal introduction. The questions ranged from generating random numbers between 1 and N given a function which returns 0 or 1 with equal probability (binary to decimal!), ways to provide contradicting assignment statements from a list of string assignments of the form ['a=b', 'c=d', 'd=b'] ['a!=d'] etc, string anagram matching, binary search trees. The engineers seemed technically sound/professional and will indeed provide you enough hints in case you run into troubled waters.

Interview Questions
    • A question involving indirect application of DFS on graph (to prove if a list of assignment statements contradict)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Yahoo in December 2014.

Recruiter was really nice she contacted me and i had one phone interview where I had to find out the last node of the tree(BFS) and search an element via binary search with one extra condition

Flew over to Sunnyvale excellent people, great campus, streamlined process. had 5 interviews along with lunch (big cafeteria). it was for mail/communications team
    1. parking design, using hash table check if two strings are Anagram
    2. given a string find whether it matches on a big string or not
    3. flattening and un-flattening a binary search tree
    4. one more logical or data structure question using iteration ( result should be in n). i think everybody in the room knows the celebrity but celebrity doesn't know anybody. how many celebrities in the room)
    5. storing a ton of sets with Transitive relation in tables so that look up is very easy.

Funny recruiter never contacted me again , i think i messed up two of the interviews.

Folks were very neat in their approach and very efficient, one of the easiest interviews I ever had.
    All the interviewers were really good
    Still cheers for the opportunity.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview for a position of software engineer in the ads & data team.

First part - coding exercise
    build a Boggle game and output the longest word
    use whatever language you want
    time to do the exercise: 1 hour

Second part - 3 interviews (white board coding)
    interviews related to your team
    Normal coding exercises (databases, regex and trees for me)

Interview Questions
    • Regex Question
      Build a function that takes one string and one regex expression in inputs and output true if the string matches the regex expression.
      string: a-z
      regex: a-z + * (where '*' matches 0 or more character and '+' matches one character)

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo.

Two phone interviews then got an on Site interview.
    1. design a calculator using C++

2. design a airport using C++
    3. Dynamic programming question
    4. data structure

Software Engineer Interview

I went to my university job fair and talked to Yahoo recruiter. They were interviewing people the next day and decided to give me a chance. I did not make it through the interview tho because I did a bad job and did not really have enough time to get prepared.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview Questions
    • Combine two lists of Object with different size into one   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yahoo in October 2014.

First round of Phone interview.Questions were general , More on Resume.
    Also this position is for a Big Data Team in Champaign,Illinois.
    1 ) Basics of Java
    2 ) One Design question on how you would design chess board
    3 ) basics on sql - creating a table,joins,having by,aggregate functions
    4 ) Basics on unix/linux
    5) One question on scalability

Interview Questions
    • Some puzzles , may be the question was easy , just couldn’t understand the language - how would you distribute 1000 potatoes in 10 baskets.   Answer Question