Yahoo Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online for Yahoo Gemini and got a call from Principal Engineer in 3-4 days, requesting for setting up Technical Phone Interview. 1 phone interview : Cleared and got onsite request. 1 on-site interview : Had 6 rounds each 45 mins. But one guy had to take PTO and ended up having only 5 rounds each 50 mins. 1/5 round was Lunch

Interview Questions

• Phone interview Question: Convert a BST into Doubly Linked List Onsite 1st Round: Scaling questions (don't recall them right now, couple of them were related to Kap, DHT, Chord), Sockets, RPC, Reverse Linked List, Circular Linked List, Middle of Linked List. 2nd Round: Coding question. Given an array with unsorted integers, move all even on left side and all odds on right side. After that sort even in increasing order and sort odd in decreasing order 3rd Round: Lunch. Overivew of the team and asking questions about what you are looking for and why are you leaving your current company 4th Round: Coding question. 1) Write a function which has 2 input (word, random_string), return true if you can construct the word from random_string or else return false. For e.g: "apple", "sxryppaelwb" will return true but "apple", "srxypaelwb" will return false. 2) Write a function which will sort the input word list into decreasing order of string length only if that word can be constructed from random string. 5th Round: Basic Logical question. 1) stack increasing decreasing question & code 2) ps aux | grep "myscript" related question.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

It is a two screen process at yahoo. The interviewer's are great and help in case you get stuck. They basically check your programming knowledge and logical concepts. Even if you write the code a bit incorrect, it won't affect your result unless you tell them the correct algorithm. Linked List, Stack , Queue, Arrays and Strings, Searching Sorting and Trees and Graphs are things which should be prepared before the interview.

Interview Questions

• Check if the string is balanced. eg {{}} should return true, Given a input sentence tokenize it and print the word count. eg the boy went to the school- > the 2, boy 1, went 1, to 1, school 1   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo in April 2015.

Interview

This is a phone interview, and about 30 minutes. Some resume questions, and then some technical questions. 1. What is the different between the C and JAVA? 2. What's the different between the JAVA modifier? (public, private, protect)protect modifier and use in the same Class and same package, but the private modifier can only use in the same Class. public can use everywhere.

Interview Questions

• What's the different between the JAVA modifier? (public, private, protect)   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

I had 2 interviews on campus after meeting a recruiter in a job fair. My gpa was actually lower than their standards but they gave me an interview anyways. They asked me resume questions as well as give me an opportunity to explain why my gpa was low (3.4). Afterwords they asked me simple questions like reversing a linked list, and then asked me questions like what other offers do you have? I was then given the 2nd interview immediately afterwards, to which they asked 3 programming questions, like parsing a regular expression given a string, and designing monopoly and how to determine if a list has no duplicates.

Interview Questions

• Design Monopoly. Given 2 strings, figure out if one is a reg expression of the other. examples: Y-hoo, Yahoo -True Y*o, Yahoo -> True **hoo ->Yahoo True ya-* -> yahoo True   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

It was one hour interview, went through my resume and started with a coding question over collab edit and HTML, CSS and Javascript questions. More questions on HTML and JavaScript.

Interview Questions

• Give the top ten elements of the given array   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

applied online and got a reply few days later. Then setup for a phone interview. I got a phone interview for an hour. I was asked to solve three coding questions, string sorting, simple linked list, and string hashing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

The event is called Yahoo! Day, in which almost all candidates are new grads. There were three one-hour technical interviews. The interviewers are all very polite and nice. However in my case Yahoo's recruiters are not professional at all. After the onsite interview I sent them 5 emails to follow up but got zero reply. It has been almost 2 months now.

Interview Questions

• Assume you are designing a CocoaPod package managing system. Try to illustrate how you would resolve package dependencies.   1 Answer
    • Given a set of true statements, for example "A = B", "A = C", "C = E", and a set of false statements, like "A != C", "B != E". Test if the overall result is true.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Two phone calls both technical, asking SQL questions and simple tree traversal questions. Also asked scenario questions and how I would analyze the data and go about solving the problem. About a week later I got an email to be brought on site. They pay for airfare, good, and taxis. Once I got there (on Friday for "Yahoo Days"), I did a coding challenge then talked to three members of the team I was applying for. There was a mixer at the end of the day where you're able to talk with other applicants and some employees. My interview was not technically intensive, but others who were interviewing said there interview was almost all coding questions.

Interview Questions

• Basic tree traversal questions with an alteration to a red black tree   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Yahoo (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

It was second round, telephonic call for 1 hr. The interviewer was a Korean and I was asked two algorithmic Questions. He was expecting me to code in front end languages, but i do not know that as i was just writing code in c++. Its a reject after two days. It was for Front end position, but i dont know that.

Interview Questions

• How many binary 1's are there in a given number and also Lowest common ancestor.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The interviewer was a male and very polite. First he asked something from my resume such as what is my favorite projects. And then we started the technical questions. The technical questions covered a algorithm problem, a c programming problem, some basic stuff about STL in C++ and some other practical questions such as writing a bash. My performance was very bad.

Interview Questions

• Write a example to show the use of bitset container in C++   Answer Question