Yahoo

Average Difficulty
107 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Jose, CA

I interviewed at Yahoo in April 2014.

Interview Details – I had two phone screens. The first phone screen consisted of coding questions (how to print a singly linked list backwards) and the second phone screen was a conversation with the hiring mgr in which we talked about past projects I have worked on. These phone screens occurred over the course of 2 weeks. Next I was invited on site to speak with 4 people.

After 2 weeks I was told that I was not selected for the position.

Interview Question – how to print a singly linked list backwards   View Answer

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in January 2010.

Interview Details – 1 phone screen interview, followed by 3 days of 5-people interviews (+lunch interview) in a period of 1-2 weeks. Interviewed with people from 3+ teams different from the one that phone-screened me. Finally the team that phone-screened me hired me.

After I accepted the offer, while wrapping up my work in my previous company, the recruiter asked me to have a letter signed by my previous employer showing that I have completed everything we discussed when I gave them the 2-week notice, which I thought was unusual.

Interview Question – Questions were typical coding questions, i.e. shuffle cards, merge sort using files, traversing trees, C++ related questions. One of the interviewers (probably non-technical) asked me a physics brain teaser which was unexpected, I don't remember the details.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Although I got a decent increase from my previous job, I didn't negotiate and later found that I didn't get competitive compensation package. Advice: negotiate!

Software Engineering Interview

Software Engineering

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview Details – On compus career fair, talked to recruiter about the courses and projects
Two months later got phone interview notification, then after a long time got scheduled exact phone interview to data&ads team.
In the phone interview, it's just some simple questions. In the 45 minutes talk, first talked about resume projects, then several basic java questions and data structure programming problems.

Interview Question – Something about how to optimize the programming solution if the memory is limited   Answer Question

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Yahoo in May 2013.

Interview Details – Interviewed in May 2013, on site with Yahoo for a position of Senior Engineer. Interviewers demonstrated complete and utter no interest. One asked me a question and looked in the ceiling, then got up and went away. Others were similarly disinterested as if it was a formality for them. I think my skills or experience didn't matter at all, and I was discriminated on the basis of race (I am white).

Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Yahoo in June 2014.

Interview Details – I have only done the phone screening of which I found the engineer to be very polite. He asked me the difference between an array and a linked list. He also asked me two technical questions

Interview Question – Find the least common ancestor in a tree where each node points to it's parent.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Yahoo

Interview Details – Had 1 phone screen then invited to onsite. I felt that Interviewers are not interested in interviewing candidates. Some interviewers told me that he is not sure what to ask as he does not work in the team I was interviewing. worst HR and worst interview process.I was interviewed for back end position but one interviewer was asking front end questions.

Interview Question – what are the ways you can submit data to server   View Answers (2)

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in February 2014.

Interview Details – Hiring process started with a recruiter and then a simple 1:1 phone interview. It was an easy question to solve a BST. Any comp sci student should know all Algos when you are applying to Yahoo!

Interview Question – Prove number of nodes in a BST is 2^h - 1, h is height using Mathematical Induction! Huh! I learnt it in school but was fortunate enough to recall   View Answers (2)

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in February 2014.

Interview Details – Contacted by a hiring manager about an interview. The next week I had a technical phone interview.
Questions:
1. List all permutations of a string. E.g.; If you're given abc, the output should be abc, acb, bca, bac, cab, cba.
2. Fibonacci series - both recursively and iteratively. Tell me which one is better in terms of memory and speed of execution.
Did not hear back from them even after a month.

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yahoo in November 2013.

Interview Details – They cheated me out of money. They said they would reimburse my travel expenses but did not.

Also, in there original literary they wanted me to fly out at 9pm come in at like 5 am and then fly out at like 9pm that night and come home at 6am the next morning. I suppose they didn't want to pay for a hotel.

They had decent coffee and I met some nice people, but I can't get over being cheated out of money.

Interview Question – They asked me about run length encoding. The guy asking me was rude and inarticulate. The scheme he was hinting at didn't actually work. He said it would work in all cases but one, but "we wouldn't cover that". The case the scheme doesn't work for is the one that is statistically most likely, so the scheme will generally lengthen the data you are trying to shorten.   View Answer

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Yahoo in January 2014.

Interview Details – Interviewed with Yahoo as a new college grad. One phone coding interview, then invited to onsite for final interview where I had four one on one coding/puzzle interviews. Process took extremely long and my HR contact was very unorganized.

Interview Question – The most difficult question asked was to prove the upper bound on the number of nodes in a balanced binary tree. In order to prove it, the interviewer was looking for me to provide an inductive proof (this question caught me extremely off guard, have not done proofs in like three years). Definitely one of the more difficult interviews I have had, but I was very unprepared. My phone interviewer told me to expect an intense onsite coding interview where I was going to be expected to write an iOS application (experience is in mobile applications and I was interviewing for Yahoo Sports mobile). As a result, I spent a lot of time studying/practicing OOP and writing objective-c code. Much to my surprise when I was invited onsite, my interview was simply whiteboard coding questions. Most of the questions were binary tree and graph algorithm questions. In retrospect, I could have done much better on this interview if I were not misled by the previous engineer. Deep copy of a graph, dijkstras, order level tree traversal, big integer addition (just some of the questions). In short do not rely on engineers or HR to help you, study on your own and focus on graphs and trees.

HR made it a terrible experience. Engineers were also very anti-social and seemed to only care if you get the question right without regard for your approach. I also kept getting interrupted rudely while trying to write down code which confused me a lot and made me perform even worse. No point in working for or with people like that, imagine the frustration!
  Answer Question

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!