Yahoo Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 3, 2015
Updated Apr 3, 2015

3.1

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in February 2015.

Interview

I submitted my resume on career fair last month. After a week, the recruiter scheduled two phone interviews with two senior software engineers. Basic questions in algorithm, data structure, object-oriented programming and operating system are covered. A coding process on Collaedit. Finally, they asked me if I had any questions.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Interview started with a few simple CS and Linux based questions, like one liners. The interviewer was nice and polite, asked about my experience and explained a bit about his team and his role etc. Then went into a programming question, which was easy to average question, but I messed in dealing with array and indexes, so didn't finish the solution in time, he helped me find the mistake and also told me the approach is correct, but there is a small mistake in juggling with indexes in the array operation. As we were user coderpad.com, I have to execute solution right there, so issue was obvious, if its a google doc or collabedit issue wouldn't be found so easy. I was pleased with the experience and interviewer's team, but bad luck.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Yahoo (Berkeley, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied for summer internship at my college career fair. Scheduled an on-site interview the next week. The process was an 1-on-1 interview with a current Yahoo software engineer. Asked about features and specialty of my most comfortable language (which is Java), and then straight onto coding questions.

Interview Questions

• How to convert a binary search tree into an ordered doubly linked list?   Answer Question
    • How to find out the second most frequent integer given an array of integers.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online and received an email from the first interviewer after 2-3 weeks. Two rounds of technical interviews before the final decision.

The first interviewer is very nice and told me he is impressed. 3 algorithm and data structure questions, and two questions about my projects on resume, one question on a course. Ironically, he suggested me not accept their offer if I have other choices.

The second one impressed me with the most horrible interview experience. As a front-end developer, he believes it is very important to know Unix scripts and computer networks, though I was supposed to interview for a machine learning position.

Neither of us are native speakers, so I guess we have communication problems too.He keep saying JUST WRITE IT DOWN when I was trying to briefly describe the idea or walk him through codes.

And my recruiter never replies emails so I don't know if I got an offer. It was just stuck there and I happily accept offers from another company.

Interview Questions

• The first interviewer is very nice and we are still in touch. 3 algorithm and data structure questions, and two questions about my projects on resume, one question on a course.

He kept asking me questions like which directory holds logs in Unix, names of each layers of OSI, names of each stages in Agile...actually 16 such questions in total in 45 minutes, in addition to 2 programming questions and one algorithm questions (he asks me to write down scenarios, and interrupted me when I wrote some pseudo codes...).

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Had three onsite interviews, which were easy to medium in difficulty. The interviewers did not seem that well prepared but everyone was in general friendly and competent.
    However, HR is a mess. It took them over three months from the day of my onsite interview to send me an actual offer letter, which is completely unacceptable. Furthermore they didn't communicate with me at all--they'd tell me they would get back to me that week and then not respond for another 2-3 weeks. And you can bet they won't reimburse you for your onsite interview.
    I had a good onsite interview experience and might even have considered Yahoo had their recruiting team not been so awful. It really reflects badly on the rest of the company.

Interview Questions

• Coding question before the interviews started on your own personal computer, can't share however because of NDA   Answer Question

Had offers from better companies that were actually prompt in communicating with me

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Yahoo (Mountain View, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Junior platform team SW engineer

Got onsite interview directly by employee referral. I was invited for onsite after 2 months. Interviewed with 4 people.

First: In a binary tree, prune leaves that are odd and have no even children, recursively.

Second: Deep Java and OO questions, inheritance, polymorphism, overloading, lots of question about collection framework, how they are implemented behind the scene and when to use which, downcasting and upcasting, complicated exceptions questions

Third (with the team lead): very random and irrelevant questions, TCP handshaking, DNS server, how Internet works end to end, variables alignment in memory, how cpu is connected to memory! how tomcat works and its thread pools, the interviewer was inconsistent and started and ended with a very negative impression, no question about Java or distributed systems

Forth: with the manager, he described Yahoo’s scaling up open problems and asked me how I would solve them, questions regarding scaling up redis, kafka, mesos, memcashed,…, I believe questions were appropriate for a senior positions

My suggestion is that if you are not from India, do not waste your time interviewing at yahoo platform team

Interview Questions

• In a binary tree, prune leaves that are odd and have no even children, recursively.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

I submitted on website, got the interview notification in one week. During the interview, the engineer asked me Java basics(such as abstract class/interface, multithreaded), and SQL(join / group), Operation system in very details. The whole interview finished in 30 mins.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

telephonic followed by a on site
    computer science back ground
    testing
    time complexity
    efficiency
    4 rounds of on site
    1 round of telephpnic screen and you will be asked to solve a question and they monitor it through collabedit or sites like that
    very basic questions in telephonic screen

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Having read through the reviews on glassdoor I wasn't expecting a smooth process either but since I am a local candidate I didn't have to go through the hassle of going through the travel/stay reimbursements etc. The reviews were true to the core that the recruitment process is a clear indication of the complete chaos in the company. I was invited for an onsite, after clearing the initial phone screen which was fairly a simpler algorithmic challenge. Just revisit your algorithms and data structures especially search, sort, list, trees, graphs, string manipulations etc. An advice to candidates is to not to over do the preparation as they come with a mind set expecting 'the' answer they were looking for and even if you out smart them with an efficient solution it's still frowned upon (which is rather untrue for most companies in the silicon valley).
    The onsite interviews were pathetic, with some interviewers jumping straight onto white-board coding without even a formal introduction. The questions ranged from generating random numbers between 1 and N given a function which returns 0 or 1 with equal probability (binary to decimal!), ways to provide contradicting assignment statements from a list of string assignments of the form ['a=b', 'c=d', 'd=b'] ['a!=d'] etc, string anagram matching, binary search trees. The engineers seemed technically sound/professional and will indeed provide you enough hints in case you run into troubled waters.

Interview Questions

• A question involving indirect application of DFS on graph (to prove if a list of assignment statements contradict)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Yahoo in December 2014.

Interview

Recruiter was really nice she contacted me and i had one phone interview where I had to find out the last node of the tree(BFS) and search an element via binary search with one extra condition

Flew over to Sunnyvale excellent people, great campus, streamlined process. had 5 interviews along with lunch (big cafeteria). it was for mail/communications team
    1. parking design, using hash table check if two strings are Anagram
    2. given a string find whether it matches on a big string or not
    3. flattening and un-flattening a binary search tree
    4. one more logical or data structure question using iteration ( result should be in n). i think everybody in the room knows the celebrity but celebrity doesn't know anybody. how many celebrities in the room)
    5. storing a ton of sets with Transitive relation in tables so that look up is very easy.

Funny recruiter never contacted me again , i think i messed up two of the interviews.

Folks were very neat in their approach and very efficient, one of the easiest interviews I ever had.
    All the interviewers were really good
    Still cheers for the opportunity.