Yahoo Interview Questions in Sunnyvale, CA

Updated Sep 20, 2014
Updated Sep 20, 2014

165 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Yahoo in August 2013.

applied through career website, had phone interview one month after.
    Asked about resume related questions, on that day invited to onsite interview.
    Onsite interview was 4round technical interview.
    After 2 month from onsite interview, I hear nothing from my recruiter, don't answer the email .
    Don't know what happened.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Get 2 phone interview, both including technical questions, such as Algorithm and background talking. Not very difficult. The onsite interview is held with 4 persons. The questions on the onsite is also not very difficult comparing with the other company I also interviewed. The people there are very very nice. Yahoo has its famous Y! day. In there I also met some other applicants.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't prepare Unix operation, so that question is unexpected   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Yahoo in July 2013.

I was asked about circular linked list, quick and merge sort algorithms. Also couple of questions on Hashing and then moved to Sets and Maps. Overall it was easy. Waiting for the interview results.

Interview Questions
    • No questions were unexpected. Most of them on expected lines on algorithms.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Yahoo in June 2013.

Longer process than I would have hoped but very friendly and exceptionally transparent. Got a first screening phone call with the recruiter because I was referred internally by a school alumn. Then phone interview with the hiring manager, then 4-5 in person interviews, then another couple of follow up phone calls. All interviews were very pleasant conversations about my experience, skills and thoughts about the role/team.
    Anytime I asked interviewers or the recruiter for feedback/update, I received very candid and timely responses, which I must is very rare especially from big tech companies, they usually say the bare minimum, but Yahoo! far exceeded my expectations in terms of transparency.
    Only negative is the very long wait times between each steps, 2-3 weeks between each step. But again they very openly told me that I was the first person going through each step of the process and that they needed to interview other candidates before deciding on who will go to the next step.

Interview Questions
    • No trick question really, it really is a two way conversation   Answer Question

Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in June 2013.

Recruiter reached out to me first. Then I was bombarded with a number of different internal positions. Finally, they zeroed in on one position. I talked with the manager and then went in for the in-person interview. The position didn't quite seem to be a fit for what I wanted to do. However, recruiter contact just died up after then

Interview Questions
    • There were a few algorithms questions that did not seem relevant to the job   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Yahoo in May 2013.

Interviewed in May 2013, on site with Yahoo for a position of Senior Engineer. Interviewers demonstrated complete and utter no interest. One asked me a question and looked in the ceiling, then got up and went away. Others were similarly disinterested as if it was a formality for them. I think my skills or experience didn't matter at all, and I was discriminated on the basis of race (I am white).

Software Engineer (Tech Yahoo Software Applications Dev Engineer) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in May 2013.

Had 4 rounds of interview - 2 technical, 2 managerial. The technical interviews covered basics of programming and little challenging coding questions. Managerial rounds included discussions on interests, technical scenarios, architectural questions, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Questions on Arrays, with reducing memory complexity and time complexity   Answer Question
    Yes, I negotiated, but they didn't go beyond a certain limit.

Summer Technical Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in March 2013.

I dropped my resume through campus career fair. It took them about three or four weeks to contact me. There were two phone calls in total. The first one was technical interview, one hour long, and the second one mainly focuses on my interests.

Visual Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in March 2013.

Had a phone interview that was only 30 minutes long, pretty basic questions. The next day they offered to fly me out to their Sunnyvale office. Had a full day of interviews, starting with a panel presentation and 6 one-on-one interviews. The interview was very easy and casual. Was very surprised with how trivial the questions were actually. Campus is very cool, people seem casual, which is nice.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary, mainly asked about specific design decisions in regards to my portfolio. Was expecting much worse. No test or anything.   Answer Question

Service Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in March 2013.

Contract position. First a written screen which took about two hours to complete, but nothing in it was difficult to research and answer if you didn't already know it.

Interview Questions
    • In the second stage a phone interview the following situation was presented: You have 5 Apache web servers sitting behind a load balancer. They are pegged as far as load and are not responding to page requests within agreed to SLAs. Tell me the steps you'd take to debug the problem.   View Answer
    No Negotiation. Contract provider called next working day (Phone interview was on a Friday) and made an offer which I accepted.