Yahoo Interview Questions in Sunnyvale, CA

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Yahoo in November 2013.

Internal Referral. Recruiter contacted me and submitted my resume. Process took more than 2 months.

I was interviewed 5 rounds initially.
    Offered X amount as Salary and Y stocks. I negotiated a little bit and pushed Stocks to Y+300.
    We both agreed and shook hands.

One week passed and recruiter called and told hiring committee put my position on hold.
    Then they scheduled another 3 rounds of interviews. I got a call next saying i did good on the interviews and i will get an offer.

Two weeks passed and Recruiter called and told all the positions are on hold.

Offered 15K less than what we both agreed during negotiations and 1400 less Stocks.
    I came in terms with the recruiter for a salary X and Stocks Y.

If i agree for a Salary and accept an offer and if i get another offer which is more, I still honor my promise and go with the first accepted offer even though i will be making less.
    I feel its unethical.

I didn't expect this from such a company like Yahoo.

P.S. I worked as a contractor at yahoo for a Year.

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Yahoo in November 2013.

Had a phone screen followed by on site. On site were 5 rounds. Focussed on algorithms, trees, linked list questions. Also design questions on real world problems like shopping site design. They wanted code in Java code. went deeply into multithreading and design patterns and other internals into Java language. Some sorting/searching code. The interviewers were very polite and helped me through the answers. Few even said they would like to see me there but i got reject. HR are really bad here at communicating. They take long time to respond. I had to mail them multiple times to know. Well if they don't tell within 2 weeks, its reject. They never communicate if you are not selected.

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in November 2013.

After a phone screening, I got an on-site interview. There are basically three rounds with three different people at the same day. Each round is towards different directions. First round is basic algorithms, and second is more related to big data which third round is related to object-oriented programming. I was asked to implement the insertion method for binary search tree.

Interview Questions
    • In the second round I was asked how could I deal with large data file. I just have no idea of the question. The interviewer was nice and kept explaining his point to me. It's a more general answer than what I thought. I was thinking of detailed algorithms to solve that. I was also asked why choose Yahoo. I can't think of a very special reason that just suitable for yahoo.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in October 2013.

Dropped my resume at the campus career fair and got invited to dinner in the same day by the recruiting team. At dinner I talked to a group manager who was very interested in my PhD work. A week later I was invited to on-site interviews, no phone screening. Three on-site with three different groups. Regular interview coding questions except may be for one interview where the interviewer asked me how to design a large scale website (in the scale of Twitter). It took them about weeks to get back to me with an offer.

Interview Questions
    I had another offer so I was able to negotiate the salary and signing bonus

Front-end Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in October 2013.

Short Version: Bad experience. Their recruiting system is a mess.

Long Version: Submitted resume on job fair. Then invited to a dinner with several yahoo engineers. 1 week later, get contact for an onsite interview. (Yes, no phone screening at all.)

Their campus is okay, nothing to complain. It similar to other big companies in its age. (like the "M" and "A") But I would say all tech companies who rates over 4 on glassdoor will have a better office.

The interview is completely waste of time for me. I'm college new grad and full-stack web developer, but their questions are all about html, css and javascript. As we know, people don't teach them in college, "treehouse" tech those stuff. And the questions are quite unreasonable also. There're lots of questions about "tricks" in css and js instead of more important concept. By "tricks" I mean those things very detailed knowledge about css and js which can only be used to solve one problem. For example, how to block the click event of a <a> with out using event blocker? The answer is attached an oncl1ck function to <a> and let the function return false. Seriously? If that's what you expecting from candidates, you should go for an experience web developer who had been in the industry for years not a new grad like me. And there're some other crazy question such as write a micro website (html + css + js) without look at the reference.

I have to say I screwed up the interview because that not actually the position I'm looking for. They could save both of us a lot of time by doing a phone interview before!

At last, it's the worst part. I got a reject email couple weeks later, and then contacted by a recruiter for a offer. What? I asked the recruiter to double check my status in their database and it looks like there're actually two team read my interview feedback. One team rejected me and send me the reject email without waiting for the response of the other team. And it turns out the other team actually wants me on board. However, at that time I've already got a much better opportunity so I decline it. But then both the recruiter and the manager called me and try to change my mind without anything convincing. I shared my concern with the manager that I believe I'm not the right person for their position.

Interview Questions

The manager of the team who gave me an offer pulled out my feedback from my interviewer and tried to convince me that I'm qualified for the job.
    A "pretty good feedback" of 3-3.5 . I was surprised that their "pretty good" is so low. So I just told him what he expect is not going to happen. Actually their low standard makes me worry about the ability of my potential colleague in the future.

Backend Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo.

spent an afternoon with 4 people. they are pretty nice though. most of the question are about algorithm and data structure. some of the questions are about operating system. One cons is that they only offer one night free hotel, which means you probably need to prepare for a over night plane either on the way to come to CA or leave CA.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Yahoo.

I was interviewed for multiple positions. The process was fairly lengthy-just about 90 days from contact with the in-house recruiting team until finally being told that I was not selected. During that time I had multiple interviews with a wide variety of people, and four things became very clear:

1) They are working hard to reinvent themselves, and Marissa Mayer's name is on everybody's lips. To the point where I kept trying to think where I had met this person everybody kept referring to so casually but earnestly by first name, as if they had just been talking out in the hallway or I had met her in an early conversation and should have remembered what she said.
    2) They are very middle-management heavy. I met multiple Directors and VPs without having a good clear sense of how they all roll up.
    3) If you don't already have a Silicon Valley pedigree, you're probably not going to be seen as a good "culture" fit. Which is both understandable (any hire that raises eyebrows right now is high-risk) and very frustrating.
    4) There is a pretty high chaos/newbee factor. Many of the people I spoke with were themselves very new to Yahoo, and there seemed to be a lot of job-switching and task handoffs along the way for those who had only been there for a few years.

Interview Questions
    • "Describe how you've had to get consensus with a group"   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Yahoo.

Approached me through linkedin. Hiring takes almost 5-6 months and there are 8-9 interview rounds. 2 on call interviews with programming on shared application and 6 onsite rounds.
    It took almost a month or so for evaluation and all. Seems they evaluate too many candidates for the same position. The allocation of the position/title might varies based on the position and budget available in the project. Recruiter comeback with feedback from Hiring manager and other folks who has interviewed and contact us for a salary number. If we are not satisfied, then we can ask him to change/compete based on the market rate.

Interview Questions
    • I dont find any unexpected questions. Lots of companies waste their time in interview process and hires a bad candidates. All algorithms and they are straight forward.   View Answer
    It is ok. Not bad not good.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo.

Interview process was good. It was back to back meeting for 5 hour stretch with multiple managers. The interviewers were good and were open to answer direct questions on where Yahoo is heading. It was more of open discussions where the discussion helps to understand how you are a good fit and whether Yahoo looks like a place where you would like to world.

Interview Questions
    • Situation based question on how to deal with different characters who do not give buy-in on projects   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Yahoo in September 2013.

Applied online. Your typical 3 rounds of interviews total. Phone, followed by 2 in house interviews. Team and work environment seems friendly and nice.

However, interview process was extremely long and they never make their decision deadline. They always make up excuses for why the process is delayed and why they need more time. Interview process took close to 3 months now and according to them I am at the committee review final stage. However, its been almost 3 weeks since they told me that and a decision is still not out. They will constantly tell you that you are their top candidate to keep you from dropping out but don't trust them. I had other pending offers that I gave up for Yahoo and I deeply regret not taking them now.

Will not interview with them again. Don't trust HR's words, and take your other offers when you have the chance.

Interview Questions
    • Many system design questions. Nothing difficult or out of the ordinary.   Answer Question