Yahoo

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sunnyvale, CA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Yahoo in March 2008.

Interview Details – Started with an initial phone screen. Interviewer was knowledgeable about the position and asked many pointed questions. Nothing too complicated but certainly enough to weed out the cruft.

On site interview was composed of several 1:1 interviews with the hiring manager and members of the hiring group. More of a deep dive of candidate knowledge and personality.

Interview Question – Technical question about specific experience related to the job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yahoo! does tend to be open to negotiation but don't expect them to offer significantly more than the competition.

Systems Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview Details – Very charismatic and welcoming people. No difficult questions.

Interview Question – no difficult questions   Answer Question

Tiruchchirāppalli (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Yahoo in August 2008.

Interview Details – I was selected through Campus Hire. The Campus hire process begins with initial screening based on GPA etc. After that there is a written test. This test helps to seggregate candiates for profile (systems/software etc). The shortlisted candidates then undergo two to three rounds of technical interview. There is shortlisting after almost each round. Then there is a coding challenge followed by further shortlisting. After this, there is a final round of technical followed by HR interview.

Interview Question – Describe step by step troubleshooting for a server that is not reachable from location A but is reachable from location B.   Answer Question

Beijing, Beijing (China)

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Yahoo in May 2010.

Interview Details – 1 phone interview, 4 onsite interviews in total.

During the phone interview, they mainly focused on my past working experience and basic technical skills, also I was asked with an open question, to describe how to make use of user event data (such as page view, ad click, search) to target the user to the most relevant ad.

During the onsite interviews, they mainly focused on coding skills, problem solving as well as logical thinking. I was asked to write a function for string edit distance in C/C++, there was also a probability problem .

Interview Questions

Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo in January 2009.

Interview Details – We had a technical test to begin with. about 10-15 people we selected for the interviews. Then we had about 3 rounds of interviews (2 tech + 1 hr) and finally we had a computer programming test and were given 3 hours to complete a program in any of the object oriented languages. It was a good experience overall.

Negotiation Details – Campus Interview. So no negotiation.

Systems Engineer

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in August 2010.

Interview Details – I had an interview by phone from a hiring company then was invited to go to Yahoo for a face to face interview. Had 2 interviews same day on Yahoo of 45 mins each.

Interview Question – What the $ means in regular expression?   Answer Question

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!