Yahoo Systems Engineer Interview Questions

3.2

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sunnyvale, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Yahoo in March 2008.

Started with an initial phone screen. Interviewer was knowledgeable about the position and asked many pointed questions. Nothing too complicated but certainly enough to weed out the cruft.

On site interview was composed of several 1:1 interviews with the hiring manager and members of the hiring group. More of a deep dive of candidate knowledge and personality.

Interview Questions
  • Technical question about specific experience related to the job.   Answer Question
Yahoo! does tend to be open to negotiation but don't expect them to offer significantly more than the competition.

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Systems Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Yahoo.

Very charismatic and welcoming people. No difficult questions.

Systems Engineer Interview

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in August 2010.

I had an interview by phone from a hiring company then was invited to go to Yahoo for a face to face interview. Had 2 interviews same day on Yahoo of 45 mins each.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beijing, Beijing (China)

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Yahoo in May 2010.

1 phone interview, 4 onsite interviews in total.

During the phone interview, they mainly focused on my past working experience and basic technical skills, also I was asked with an open question, to describe how to make use of user event data (such as page view, ad click, search) to target the user to the most relevant ad.

During the onsite interviews, they mainly focused on coding skills, problem solving as well as logical thinking. I was asked to write a function for string edit distance in C/C++, there was also a probability problem .

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo in January 2009.

We had a technical test to begin with. about 10-15 people we selected for the interviews. Then we had about 3 rounds of interviews (2 tech + 1 hr) and finally we had a computer programming test and were given 3 hours to complete a program in any of the object oriented languages. It was a good experience overall.

Campus Interview. So no negotiation.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tiruchchirāppalli (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tiruchchirāppalli (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Yahoo in August 2008.

I was selected through Campus Hire. The Campus hire process begins with initial screening based on GPA etc. After that there is a written test. This test helps to seggregate candiates for profile (systems/software etc). The shortlisted candidates then undergo two to three rounds of technical interview. There is shortlisting after almost each round. Then there is a coding challenge followed by further shortlisting. After this, there is a final round of technical followed by HR interview.

Interview Questions
    • Describe step by step troubleshooting for a server that is not reachable from location A but is reachable from location B.   Answer Question

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!