Yahoo Systems Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jan 2, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2008.

Interview

Started with an initial phone screen. Interviewer was knowledgeable about the position and asked many pointed questions. Nothing too complicated but certainly enough to weed out the cruft.

On site interview was composed of several 1:1 interviews with the hiring manager and members of the hiring group. More of a deep dive of candidate knowledge and personality.

Interview Questions

• Technical question about specific experience related to the job.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yahoo! does tend to be open to negotiation but don't expect them to offer significantly more than the competition.

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

written test,programming test,2 technical interviews followed by hr.the written test will be easy,programming round will be tough.the technical rounds will depand on the person interviewing u,its not impossible to crack.

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

Very charismatic and welcoming people. No difficult questions.

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in August 2010.

Interview

I had an interview by phone from a hiring company then was invited to go to Yahoo for a face to face interview. Had 2 interviews same day on Yahoo of 45 mins each.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beijing, Beijing (China)

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Yahoo (Beijing, Beijing (China)) in May 2010.

Interview

1 phone interview, 4 onsite interviews in total.

During the phone interview, they mainly focused on my past working experience and basic technical skills, also I was asked with an open question, to describe how to make use of user event data (such as page view, ad click, search) to target the user to the most relevant ad.

During the onsite interviews, they mainly focused on coding skills, problem solving as well as logical thinking. I was asked to write a function for string edit distance in C/C++, there was also a probability problem .

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Yahoo (Bangalore (India)) in January 2009.

Interview

We had a technical test to begin with. about 10-15 people we selected for the interviews. Then we had about 3 rounds of interviews (2 tech + 1 hr) and finally we had a computer programming test and were given 3 hours to complete a program in any of the object oriented languages. It was a good experience overall.

Negotiation

Campus Interview. So no negotiation.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tiruchchirāppalli (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Yahoo (Tiruchchirāppalli (India)) in August 2008.

Interview

I was selected through Campus Hire. The Campus hire process begins with initial screening based on GPA etc. After that there is a written test. This test helps to seggregate candiates for profile (systems/software etc). The shortlisted candidates then undergo two to three rounds of technical interview. There is shortlisting after almost each round. Then there is a coding challenge followed by further shortlisting. After this, there is a final round of technical followed by HR interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe step by step troubleshooting for a server that is not reachable from location A but is reachable from location B.   Answer Question