Yahoo Technical Lead Interview Questions

2.7

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Technical Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bangalore (India)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in June 2010.

It was pretty long process. It started with the recruiter talking to me about the role and my expectations and then followed by telephonic and in person interviews. The entire process took about 5 weeks but I was kept updated all through. The telephonic round was more about fundamentals of front end engineering - HTTP, web page performance tuning and also about why I wanted to join Yahoo. The in person interviews were more elaborate and I was asked to write some code and explain few page load optimization techniques besides a few questions on design, algorithms and some math.

Interview Questions
  • Given a web server log file that runs into millions of lines write a script to pull up the top 100 users by visits and the last time-stamp of their access.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Technical Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in September 2011.

Got a call from recruiter for event, got invite mail late ,skipped it
    he followed up after 45 days , when i was already in notice period.
    i took one tele round which i cleared, had some 4 round f2f , then with manager.

Interview Questions
    • Designing a Lock, what are the things to be considered?
      how can i incorporate enhancements down the line
        Answer Question
    • implement auto ptr.   Answer Question
    Was able to negotiate a bit, but since i had accepted similar offer else where i did'nt had much room

Technical Lead Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Yahoo in October 2012.

I had a really bad experience interviewing with Yahoo. First they weren't really sure if I would fit a "front-end" or a "back-end" position. At Yahoo, a "front-end" developer is essentially a web developer, where as a "back-end" engineer is a someone with experience in writing server side software. My first phone interview was a completely knowledge based round - CSS box model, OO programming in Javascript etc. The second and third phone interviews were better. I was asked to work on algorithmic problems and had to code.

Then they asked me to fly over to their office. Apparently every one was running late that day. The first round was again a knowledge based interview on Java - StringBuffer vs StringBuilder, meh. The second round was with a friendly chap who was actually interested in what I had built and how deep I was exposed to server class software. The third person was an arrogant architect kinda guy whose entire point was to establish that he is superior. His first question was something that he had worked on another company in another domain of computer science. His second question was something Yahoo had spent significant resources in building. His third question rattled my jimmies - he was not wiling to accept that put() operations are done to caches as well and some LRU cache algorithms may consider a put() as a usage. He also seemed to think of nosql storage as something that can blindly replace an Oracle database without really paying heed to the fact that durable storage is required for ALL types of data. The fourth and fifth interviewers were nicer and gave me real world problem scenarios to work with. They asked me to do class modeling and design Google's autosuggest.

It's been three weeks and I haven't heard from them yet. I know they have probably rejected me but they don't seem to be courteous enough to let me know their regrets. The unprofessional recruiter doesn't take my calls and doesn't reply to my emails.

Interview Questions

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!