Yahoo Technical Yahoo Interview Questions

3.6

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Technical Yahoo Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Yahoo.

2 phone interviews. First one was pretty basic, asked about general concepts like object oriented programming. Second one came about a month later. Interviewer asked me to write some code/pseudocode on collabedit using singly linked lists. Also asked about binary trees and how to find least common ancestor using linked lists.

Finally asked go to Sunnyvale for onsite interview day. The interview day took place a month after the second phone interview. The job title "Technical Yahoo" is just a general title for a programmer at yahoo. There are many different programming departments.

General presentation of the company is given in front of everyone. Lunch is served.
Later, an employee picks you up to take you to a room for interview. They ask technical questions, ask you to write code/pseudocode on whiteboard, explain your code, optimize, etc etc. 3 individual employees have separate 1 hour interview sessions in total.

About 1-2 weeks later, you will know if you got an offer or not through email.

Interview Questions
  • Asked me how to implement a garbage collector regarding memory leaks. Not a computer science major so I had no idea how to go about it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I had two phone interviews, one with an engineer and one with the hiring manager. The first interviewer was pretty inexperienced; he quizzed me on OOP terms for the whole interview (What is an abstract class? What does the static keyword mean?). The second interview was much more enjoyable as the interviewer was more skilled. He asked me to implement a Page class and a Book class, and to use these to determine how many times a given word appeared in a Book. He then asked me to optimize my solution, which I did using a HashMap.

Interview Questions
    • Questions on JavaScript, which I was less familiar with than C++   Answer Question

Technical Yahoo Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Yahoo in April 2013.

I dropped my resume in university career fair. And I was contacted quickly after that. I got two interviews, both phone screens.Interview Details – I submitted my resume through the job fair of my university. I got the email of the first interview after more than one month.

For the first interview, I was asked some general questions about how to design a problem using different kinds of distributed and parallel tools, like Hadoop, Hadoop PIG, and MPI. I think the reason is that I have previous related projects. No online coding.

For the second interview, the interviewer is a system architect. And we only discussed several question of Hadoop and HDFS. Also some general questions about OOP

Technical Yahoo Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Yahoo.

I did two phone screens, talked a lot about iOS Programming. Some questions were pretty general, conceptual. Nothing too bad

Interview Questions
    • How would you manage a file upload from an app? What if the connection is interrupted?   Answer Question

Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in October 2012.

Via recruiter

Not a very satisfactory interview process. Communication is bad.

Not tough questions but they try to confuse you a lot.
    To every interviewer at yahoo!, "Please smile and talk to the person being interviewed. "

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Yahoo in November 2011.

Got an email for phone screen from Yahoo after attending the college job fair. The interviewer was from Yahoo search team.

Interview Questions
    • Difference between memory allocation of stack and heap   View Answer
    • Why do we need virtual destructor in c++   View Answer
    • Difference between pass by value and pass by reference   View Answer
    • questions on OOPs features, abstract class   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richardson, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richardson, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Yahoo in May 2011.

I was interviewed by the hiring manager who was later joined by the network architect from his team. It was purely technical interview and lasted for an hour.

Interview Questions
    • What is the protocol number of OSPF?   View Answer
    • What can be a reason for the OSPF neighbor ship failing after EX-START adjacency?   View Answer
    they pay a decent amount. i didn't negotiate anything. i tried changing the job location but they wanted somebody who can work in Dallas, Texas and the job offer was only for that location.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Yahoo in December 2010.

I applied at a University Career Fair. There were 2 rounds of phone interviews. The people were friendly on phone.

Interview Questions
    • Print nodes visited in the level order traversal. Nodes of each level should be on a single line.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in June 2010.

Initially contacted for a telephonic interview, had a call with recruiting manager for about an hour and then had a second telephonic with one of the engineers and it was a technical round. Didn't hear back for a while and got a call after 3 weeks and was told that the position went on hold for a while and scheduled a second telephonic technical round for another one hour. I had couple of other offers at the time but was inclined towards yahoo since I'm going to get to work on hadoop at Yahoo. Hiring manager expedited the process after that, called in for an in person interview one day before a long weekend, it was 5 hour long interview around algorithms, data structures, C++ coding and misc perl and unix questions and some random db questions. Time just flew by and immediately after the long weekend was given an offer.

Interview Questions
    • algorithm to give an optimal packaging (np hard packaging) rectangles into rectangles
      algorithm to solve sudoku (just looking for thought process)
        Answer Question
    I was able to get a good offer in that down market, and was able to negotiate a signing bonus. But, it is tough to get a raise once settled in to the job, would suggest to negotiate for about 20% of what you are making and you may endup with at least 15% higher.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Yahoo in June 2010.

It consisted of 2 phone rounds followed by onsite interview of 5 rounds.
    Question asked were mainly from programming languages ,algorithms,Operating systems,databases amd object oriented concepts.

Interview Questions
    • How to find a loop in a linked list and write the code   View Answer
    • How do you design session timeout mechanism for clients on the server side   View Answer
    I think you can negotiate well for good raises if you have multiple offers or else I see less chance of raise.