Yahoo

Average Difficulty
17 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Technical Yahoo

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview Details – 2 phone interviews. First one was pretty basic, asked about general concepts like object oriented programming. Second one came about a month later. Interviewer asked me to write some code/pseudocode on collabedit using singly linked lists. Also asked about binary trees and how to find least common ancestor using linked lists.

Finally asked go to Sunnyvale for onsite interview day. The interview day took place a month after the second phone interview. The job title "Technical Yahoo" is just a general title for a programmer at yahoo. There are many different programming departments.

General presentation of the company is given in front of everyone. Lunch is served.
Later, an employee picks you up to take you to a room for interview. They ask technical questions, ask you to write code/pseudocode on whiteboard, explain your code, optimize, etc etc. 3 individual employees have separate 1 hour interview sessions in total.

About 1-2 weeks later, you will know if you got an offer or not through email.

Interview Question – Asked me how to implement a garbage collector regarding memory leaks. Not a computer science major so I had no idea how to go about it.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Yahoo

Interview Details – I had two phone interviews, one with an engineer and one with the hiring manager. The first interviewer was pretty inexperienced; he quizzed me on OOP terms for the whole interview (What is an abstract class? What does the static keyword mean?). The second interview was much more enjoyable as the interviewer was more skilled. He asked me to implement a Page class and a Book class, and to use these to determine how many times a given word appeared in a Book. He then asked me to optimize my solution, which I did using a HashMap.

Interview Question – Questions on JavaScript, which I was less familiar with than C++   Answer Question

Technical Yahoo

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Yahoo in April 2013.

Interview Details – I dropped my resume in university career fair. And I was contacted quickly after that. I got two interviews, both phone screens.Interview Details – I submitted my resume through the job fair of my university. I got the email of the first interview after more than one month.

For the first interview, I was asked some general questions about how to design a problem using different kinds of distributed and parallel tools, like Hadoop, Hadoop PIG, and MPI. I think the reason is that I have previous related projects. No online coding.

For the second interview, the interviewer is a system architect. And we only discussed several question of Hadoop and HDFS. Also some general questions about OOP

Interview Question – Hadoop and HDFS   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Technical Yahoo

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview Details – I did two phone screens, talked a lot about iOS Programming. Some questions were pretty general, conceptual. Nothing too bad

Interview Question – How would you manage a file upload from an app? What if the connection is interrupted?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Google

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in October 2012.

Interview Details – Via recruiter

Not a very satisfactory interview process. Communication is bad.

Not tough questions but they try to confuse you a lot.
To every interviewer at yahoo!, "Please smile and talk to the person being interviewed. "

Interview Question – Sorting and scalability related questions   Answer Question

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yahoo in January 2008.

Interview Details – Sraightforward interview. Frontend Web basics were easy; whiteboarded some common HTML+CSS layout patterns (types of column layouts and how to do them.) Went over some easy JS patterns (async with callback.) Then some discussion about how well I knew frontend best practices.

I don't know whether if, today, that there's some company-wide standard for interviews, but at the time I worked there, the bar is set differently from property to property. The least popular properties had a lower bar, the most popular ones had the luxury of setting a higher bar.

After I was hired, I was asked to help with interviews. Some of us tried to raise it to no avail. What was interesting is that, at the time, we would decline the candidate because they didn't meet a certain skillset (and they were quite basic; take the above and add a few questions that required a bit more thinking and working with the interviewer.) A few weeks later, we find out that the person interviewed at another group that happened to ask the same types of questions and they got hired. Not saying this was bad, but it might provide a hint about how you may want to strategize about your own interviews there, especially for junior to mid level engineering positions.

Interview Question – There was nothing difficult about the skills/fit part of the interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was a desperate to get out of my current situation, and I think that came through, and got talked down to a significant paycut. Folks, don't do this, it just doesn't work out.

Very Difficult Interview

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in June 2010.

Interview Details – Initially contacted for a telephonic interview, had a call with recruiting manager for about an hour and then had a second telephonic with one of the engineers and it was a technical round. Didn't hear back for a while and got a call after 3 weeks and was told that the position went on hold for a while and scheduled a second telephonic technical round for another one hour. I had couple of other offers at the time but was inclined towards yahoo since I'm going to get to work on hadoop at Yahoo. Hiring manager expedited the process after that, called in for an in person interview one day before a long weekend, it was 5 hour long interview around algorithms, data structures, C++ coding and misc perl and unix questions and some random db questions. Time just flew by and immediately after the long weekend was given an offer.

Interview Question – algorithm to give an optimal packaging (np hard packaging) rectangles into rectangles
algorithm to solve sudoku (just looking for thought process)
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to get a good offer in that down market, and was able to negotiate a signing bonus. But, it is tough to get a raise once settled in to the job, would suggest to negotiate for about 20% of what you are making and you may endup with at least 15% higher.

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Yahoo in January 2008.

Interview Details – Very professional and well-organized. one-on-one sessions were thorough and thoughtful. Very difficult, but enjoyable.

Sunnyvale, CA

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Yahoo in June 2010.

Interview Details – It consisted of 2 phone rounds followed by onsite interview of 5 rounds.
Question asked were mainly from programming languages ,algorithms,Operating systems,databases amd object oriented concepts.

Interview Questions

• How to find a loop in a linked list and write the code   View Answer
  • How do you design session timeout mechanism for clients on the server side   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I think you can negotiate well for good raises if you have multiple offers or else I see less chance of raise.

Santa Clara, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo in November 2011.

Interview Details – Got an email for phone screen from Yahoo after attending the college job fair. The interviewer was from Yahoo search team.

Interview Questions

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!