Yahoo

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

User Experience Designer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume and got contacted by a recruiter within a week. Had 2 interview calls with a design manager and senior designer, and was invited for a 1 hr panel presentation. It felt like they were more interested in the product of my current company than myself as a candidate. I was told someone would contact me to provide feedback but I haven't heard back from anyone since my in-person interview.

Interview Question – They asked more questions about the product I'm working on rather than questions about myself and my design skills.   Answer Question

User Experience Designer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo in October 2011.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by 5 individuals, then I gave a portfolio review and participated in a design exercise with other designers and engineers. The design exercise consisted of a mock review of a Yahoo property and specific examples of what I would do to improve it. There were about 15 people in the conference room for the portfolio review and design exercise. Everyone was very nice and I did not feel particularly stressed during the design exercise or portfolio review.

Interview Question – The question was specific to my portfolio, but it was about a project I had done 12 years ago.   Answer Question

User Experience Designer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in September 2008.

Interview Details – The process began with a phone call from the recruiter. From there we scheduled a phone interview with the hiring manager which went well. At point we set up an onsite interview at Yahoo! to meet with the various team members (together and separately). The interview did not require a self-presentation, however I was given several skills tests and challenges. The onsite interview lasted a full six hours, and I felt somewhat encouraged. Afterwards, the manager requested additional sample work and proposed a design challenge. The frequent communication from the recruiter was impressive and seemed positive. However three weeks after the onsite interview, I was informed that the team was continuing their search.

Interview Question – I'm not confident with your design skills. What else can you show us?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Yahoo

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Yahoo User Experience Designer interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by Yahoo employees and interview candidates.