Yahoo

Average Difficulty
7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Web Developer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in November 2013.

Interview Details – Saw a post on a social media site advertising that Yahoo was looking for web developers. Having recently taught myself webdev, I decided to email my resume. Within two weeks I received a response that I had been chosen for a phone screen.

Interview Question – Describe Javascript closures.   View Answers (2)

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Yahoo in January 2013.

Interview Details – I was called on the phone and asked about an hour worth of questions. They were not too specific. Then the following week I answered some technical questions online with the interviewer. Two weeks following I was asked to come onsite to interview with the engineering staff.

Interview Question – Write a program that prints the numbers 1-100, but for numbers that are multiples of 3 print "Fizz" and for numbers that are multiples of 5 print "Buzz". For numbers that are multiples of 3 and 5 print "FizzBuzz".   View Answer

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo in January 2012.

Interview Details – It was a telephone interview. A basic get to know you/what are your skills interview.

Interview Question – Will you be able to code a website yourself?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sunnyvale, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo in June 2011.

Interview Details – internal refer and get contacted by the hiring manager by email directly after
2 weeks to set up an phone interview.
last one hour : basic data structure and project experience.
algorim question:
find the intersection of two sorted arrays .
design a card game
desgin pattern ? factory ,adapter
some basic javascript and css questions.
what is the type of javascript?

Interview Questions

Very Difficult Interview

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo in February 2010.

Interview Details – The worst interview I ever had was for a web developer position with Yahoo! I was interviewed by a team of arrogant web developers. None of the people who interviewed me had any people skills. They basically interviewed me one-on-one, one right after the other. They bombarded me with questions that you could tell they were working on solving at the moment, and when I couldn't answer them on-the-fly without researching the problem and searching the Internet for solutions, they showed me out the door as if I had wasted their time.

Interview Question – Database case study problem and object-oriented JavaScript questions.   Answer Question

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in February 2007.

Interview Details – My interview took all day long and exhausting. However, some people have been hired after interviews with a few people and finished within an hour.

Later I became a hiring manager and noticed that the process is depending on availability of interviewers and work schedules (or laziness).
Many interviewers do not have ability to judge technical skills (when hiring an engineer) so they simply see if they personally like the candidate or not.

Interview Question – Very vague questions like "what is a DTD?". "what is a box model?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Tell the HR that you have gotten another offer from another company. You'll be able to negotiate the better salary.

Santa Clara, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo in October 2007.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview with a Yahoo! technical recruiter, and then an in-person interview at the Yahoo! facility with five individuals, most of whom were other developers on the technical team with the vacancy.

The phone interview was very standard, and comfortable for me because it was like so many others I've had. It was exactly as general as these tend to be.

The in-person interview involved my traveling to the Yahoo! building in Santa Clara, where I passed through the working area to a meeting room. I was really disappointed to see that some of my favorite Web innovations are engineered in such a run-of-the-mill cube farm, lit from overhead by horrible, glaring fluorescent lights; I'd expected something with more consideration for the comfort of the techs.

The people who interviewed me were diverse in nationality and gender, which impressed me. None seemed to be older than thirty, and only one seemed to be very poised or experienced in the task of interviewing a job candidate.

Indeed, the worst interviewer was the team lead, who had a list of printed questions he hesitated to discard. At one point I was, to be honest, failing to answer the technical question he'd posed; eventually, I answered, "I don't know," and paused. His response was to ask the exact same question, using the exact same wording, again. I don't remember what I said at this point, but I remember thinking, "I would so entirely hate working for this man." I guess the purpose of the interview--finding out whether company and candidate are a good match--was satisfied at this point.

Interview Question – I don't remember the exact question. It was something about object-oriented PHP.   Answer Question

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!