Yale University

15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Web Content Manager Interview

New Haven, CT

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Yale University in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and was culled from interview process the same day.

Interview Question – No questions asked.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
New Haven, CT

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Yale University in March 2011.

Interview Details – The process was quick and easy because the lab was in immediate need of assistants and the job qualifications were minimal.

Graduate Student Interview

Graduate Student
New Haven, CT

I interviewed at Yale University in February 2012.

Interview Details – Online application followed by initial contact with PI and a 45 min interview with PI and another professor.

Interview Question – Have you looked into previous work done on these lines?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Development Associate Interview

New Haven, CT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Yale University.

Interview Details – Informal interview with a senior associate in the dept led to interviews with Principal Gifts Officer, Principal Gifts Director, and other Development Associates. Then completed a directed writing sample.

Interview Question – Describe a conflict of interest you have encountered in your work and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate. Took base salary of $47,500.

Associate Research Scientist Interview

Associate Research Scientist
New Haven, CT

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yale University in February 2009.

Interview Details – I was a postdoc for several years prior to being promoted to Associate Research Scientist

Interview Question – No unexpected questions were asked. I came prepared for the interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was little room for negotiation as it was an NIH funded position.

Student Researcher Interview

Student Researcher
New Haven, CT

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yale University in January 2012.

Interview Details – After contacting the Professor, all it took was a submission of my resume, and transcript. I was hired within a few weeks.

Interview Question – None, everything was pretty standard. Yale really tries to get it's undergrads to do lab research - even for pay!   Answer Question

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Senior Administrative Assistant
New Haven, CT

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Yale University in December 2008.

Interview Details – Submitted online application, called in for a screening interview in HR. Offered a position different from the one I applied to, at a higher level based on HR interview. Yale can be slow to fill jobs, they don't have the same pressures as a private employer. It is common to not hear anything for a month or more and then be called for an interview. Very strict on requirements, especially education and years of experience.

Interview Question – They focus on demonstrated accomplishments, so you will be asked to provide examples.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was a unionized position so there was no negotiation.

Associate Director of Community Research Interview

New Haven, CT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Yale University in September 2008.

Interview Details – Great process with the physician who was hiring me. I met with him at his home and spent a few hours being interviewed and being able to ask him questions as well.

Interview Question – The Human Resources Department was very difficult to work with and it took 5 months to become a full time employee from a contact employee. They always asked how I was qualified for such a high level salary.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Crazy. The HR department at Yale is very specific and somewhat disorganized.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
New Haven, CT

The process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Yale University in May 2011.

Interview Details – Shortly after submitting my resume, I got a reply back confirming that the resume had been passed along. I then received an email requesting an interview a couple of days afterward. I was interviewed by a couple of people and I had the impression that it went pretty well overall. They were being positive and encouraging, but extremely vague on the timeline and I didn't hear from them for over five weeks, other than a brief non-informative reply back to my inquiry after three weeks. Later when I checked, they'd reposted the position with a totally different job description. I get that this happens, but they could have done a much better job of not leading candidates on and keeping them in unnecessary suspense.

Interview Question – Tell us about a difficult challenge you faced at work that you overcame.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst
New Haven, CT

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yale University in May 2011.

Interview Details – how to calculate the sample size? how to handle the missing data? how to build regression models...

Interview Question – how to handle the missing data   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Yale University

Worked for Yale University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Yale University interview questions and advice in Connecticut. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by Yale University employees and interview candidates.