Yale University Interview Questions

Updated Jul 21, 2015

2.7

Student Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Yale University (New Haven, CT).

Interview

I did not interview. The job was given to me because of a friend's referral. However, interviews seem to be purely behavioral from my understanding and are typically very easy. For most student worker positions some special super ultra amazing skills are not really necessary.

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Yale University.

Interview

Pleasant interview. They were looking for someone who enjoys writing. I enjoy writing but I don't think I was able to convince them of that because most of the jobs I go for don't look for someone with writing skills per se.

Accountant II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yale University (New Haven, CT) in February 2015.

Interview

Talked briefly about the position, went over my resume, asked me some personality questions, some experience questions, problem solving, where do I see myself in 5 years. Typical questions in an interview. No Gotcha questions, very straightforward just looking for help and wanted to know if I can do the job. I also new the person hiring which made it easier.

Interview Questions

• What previous Grant Skills I had   1 Answer

CRA Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yale University.

Interview

Was contacted in a week after applying, process was very fast and straightforward, but background process is done by a third party who took some extra time. I had to meet with every team on the particular project one by one in different days as most of them were not available on the same day

Interview Questions

• They believed I was over-qualified for the position, asked me what my rationale is for taking a low step   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Yale University.

Interview

I contacted the group leader sending an email and resume. We had a telephone conversation. He requested 4 letters of recommendations. After a couple of weeks he asked me to visit the lab and give a 1-hour presentation in front of the rest of the department. After another two weeks he contacted me tell me I've been hired. My job started 9 moths later (but it could be sooner if I hadn't an agreement with the previous job).

Interview Questions

• what are you going to bring to the group?   1 Answer

Associate Research Scientist Interview

Interview

This research faculty position was suggested by my adviser after two years as a postdoc in his lab. There was no official job posting and interview for this position and the hiring turned out to be just a smooth internal position transition.

Graduate Student Interview

Interview

Once you get an interview it's fairly simple. You will be interviewing with another 40 students so just make sure not too stand out negatively. Prepare for meeting with individual Professors by knowing about their research and be able to talk about your own research and experiences.

Interview Questions

• One related to my own research and the applicability in a clinical setting.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Yale University (New Haven, CT) in September 2014.

Interview

chat with the prof and see if you have related background before. profs usually be nice to you and you don't have to worry that much if your answer is not perfect. They are flexible people in the universities.

Interview Questions

• why you are interested in this job and what you could bring to this job   Answer Question

Communications Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Yale University (New Haven, CT) in July 2014.

Interview

Whole process took about 3 months. Very thorough. Very nice people. Had an initial HR phone screening, then a one-on-one with the HR director in person, then a one-on-one with the hiring manager, then a group interview with the whole department. It was a lot of interviewing.

Assistant Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Yale University in June 2014.

Interview

I received a telephone interview 2 months after submitting my application, and was invited for an on campus interview 2 months after that. I was offered the position 1 month later. The telephone interview was pretty straightforward: a series of about 15 questions, mostly pertaining to my previous experience. The on campus interview included -a dinner the night before -3 individual interviews (hiring manager, another director and the dean) -a groups interview with the office staff -a presentation for 15 people including faculty, staff and researchers -followed by a discussion period with the audience.

Interview Questions

• There were no very difficult or unexpected questions. Mostly they wanted to hear how I would implement a new series of programs.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate an additional 5K annual salary, but could not get any additional vacation time.