Yammer

Updated Nov 18, 2014
Updated Nov 18, 2014

3.3

Data Scientist, Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yammer.

The recruiter reached out to me and was very enthusiastic about my having a phone screen. I had a 30 minute phone screen where there were two probability questions and one open ended analytics about A/B testing. I thought I did reasonably well, but I never heard back from them again.

Interview Questions
    • 1a) If you get $1 per dot on the upturned face of a rolled dice, what is the expected earnings? (Ans: $3.5)
      1b) If you could have two chances to roll, and you could decide when to stop rolling (either the first roll or second roll), what would your rolling strategy be? (Ans: If you get anything less than 3.5 on the first roll, then roll again).
      1c) What is your expected earning with this two roll strategy? (Ans: $4.25)
        Answer Question

Data Scientist (Product Intelligence Manager) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Yammer in March 2014.

1) 30 min HR screening phone interview: What do you know about Yammer? Why do you want to work at Yammer? Tell me about your background.
    2) Two technical phone interview with data scientists, 30min each. Each one had a probability / statistics brain teaser and an open-ended business case.
    3) On-site interview: 6 interviews, 1 HR and 5 technical with data scientists. Each technical interview has a probability / statistics brain teaser and an open-ended business case, very similar to the phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • Example probability brain teasers: probabilities when rolling two dice twice with the second roll depending on the outcome of the first, the German tank problem, breaking a 4-digit code with different prior information etc. In total: know your combinatorics and Bayes rule in-and-out!

Example business cases:
      - You own a museum and consider putting up an exhibition by a new artist. How would you go about the decision? What kind of information / data would you look for, how would you use it?
      - You want to buy a TV on amazon.com. How do you make a decision?
      - You performed A/B testing on a change in a search engine algorithm. Although in B, the coders made a mistake which led to really poor search results, user clicked on more results as well as on more ads. How do you interpret the results, what do you do next? etc.
      In total, they look for how you think and approach a problem. They often want to know how you deal with incomplete information, short timelines, trade-offs.

Overall, all interviewers were very friendly and professional. My HR contact was very responsive throughout the whole process. My interview process was unusually long because of visa questions - normally they are faster than 3 months;-)
        Answer Question

Product Intelligence Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Yammer.

I applied this online. A few weeks later I got the first phone interview. He asked me about my general background, some probability question and a short problem solving question.
    I got the second round onsite interview in SF. It takes from noon to afternoon with a group of candidates in the building. It consists four round of individual interviews meeting with one of the analytics team member a time. They tend to ask you about some probability questions and problem solving things. Actually, all types of questions will be asked.

Interaction Designer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Yammer.

I was contacted through email first. The recruiter mentioned the designers viewed my portfolio and that they would like to connect over phone. I never ended up talking to the designers, just the recruiter. We briefly went over some of my past projects, and talked about what I was interested in - in terms of career goals.

After the phone call, I was given a "homework" exercise to complete. In it, they mention they make design candidates go through this because a resume doesn't tell the whole story and they want to see how you approach a problem. In the exercise, you have three options to choose from. They're quick exercises that shouldn't take you more than a few hours.

After I sent in my exercise, I was told I would receive feedback once they review it. It took them a little over 2 weeks to get back to me. I got a response after emailing them whether or not they ever reviewed my work.

Interview Questions
    • If anything, it was probably the homework exercise. But even then, nothing about this interview was unexpected, or difficult.   Answer Question

UI/Visual Designer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Yammer in January 2014.

This was one of the worst interviewing experiences I have ever had. After an initial phone screen conducted by the recruiter, I was given an assignment that would be evaluated by members of the UX team upon completion. The assignment was easy and I submitted it for review before the deadline. Two weeks (!) later I received a call from the recruiter asking if I would like to chat over the phone with a couple people from the team. Despite some rudeness from one of the interviewers, it went fairly well, however that rudeness should have tipped me off that things about this company are a little askew.

A few days later I was contacted by the recruiter to schedule a series of in person interviews on-site at the Yammer offices on Market Street. I was told that I would first be meeting with a 'couple' of designers for a portfolio review, after which I would be given yet another design exercise to complete before meeting with other members of the team. That sounded all fine and good and I was excited about the opportunity.

Imagine my surprise when I arrived at my interview and was told that I would be presenting my portfolio to the entire team—about 15-20 people (plus a dog?!). The entire team crowded into a conference room and proceeded to conduct the most contentious and hostile group interview I have ever experienced. It seemed that the whole experience was geared towards seeing if they can rattle you. Having a dog jump up onto your lap was an added bonus as well.

After being misled about my portfolio presentation I was immediately thrown into a white boarding exercise with two team members who seemed to be more than happy to continue theme of contention. At this point I was so miffed at the proceedings that I pretty much checked out. I couldn't imaging myself working with such an arrogant, entitled and disingenuous group of people.

I have been working in this industry here in the Bay Area for quite some time. Long enough to know how small it is, and if you treat people poorly, no matter if you think they are a 'fit' for your team or not, word gets around. And there are some of us that have long memories.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you probing questions to see how/if you might react to an environment that relies heavily on user data to inform design decisions.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yammer in December 2013.

Initial conversation with recruiter, then homework assignment to discuss a feature from Spotify or Facebook, and follow up discussion with 1 or 2 Product Managers by phone. Final stage: in person interviews? Don't know yet.

Interview Questions
    • Choose any web service, and then discuss features on it, and in particular answer questions about why a particular was introduced, and how to measure its success or otherwise.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

- 20 minutes online test. 6 questions total. 5 math/statistics questions, 1 general/short answer question.

One week later

- 30 min phone conversation/interview with the recruiter. Going through my resume, and clarifying the job duties.

- 30 min phone interview with a junior data analyst. More math questions and the following question.

Interview Questions
    • Suppose you are a manager at Facebook. Consider an application you could choose to read updates from "close friends" only. How are you going to evaluate this new application.   View Answer

Product Information Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yammer.

first was an online web challenge - this is mostly probability type questions. then came a technical phone interview. apparently this is very hit or miss for people because your success here is completely dependent on your interviewer. i got a bunch of questions about coin tossing and dice rolling. last was the onsite interview.

Interview Questions
    • during my onsite most of the questions were very open ended. none of them were particularly technical, though.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yammer.

I had an initial phone call from HR which went well and was followed by a project. I was asked to redesign a Yammer feature with explicit and assumed constraints, and put together a presentation. They suggest that candidates spend no more than 3-5 hours on it, but I wanted to be thorough and spent approximately 20 hours. Every beat was hit and in testing, the feature I redesigned improved the UX and conversions in 5-second tests.

A few days after I submitted it for review, I received a response and was told that everything was great except I totally botched one aspect of it. They would not be moving forward, citing that I missed the mark on a key point (to be fair, the feature doesn't actually work on the product). Despite the defense of my design, they pretty much shut me down then and there and I never heard from them again.

The experience was unpleasant and unprofessional, and I did not get the sense that they were remotely open to any idea that didn't match their own. Based on my experience, it was not a nurturing work environment.

Interview Questions
    • Redesign a specific feature and create a presentation around it.   Answer Question

Business Intelligence Manager Interview

I emailed an HR contact I was given and was then directed to take an online quiz. It was short, about 5 questions. The first few were pretty simple probability questions and the last one was more open ended/problem solving oriented. After that I was contacted to set up a phone screen which consisted of one probability question and one analytical question. I was then moved on to the next round, which was an onsite interview. The onsite interview was about 2 hours long and I met with 6 people. All of the interviews consisted of both behavior questions about how I would respond to a problem they are usually confronted with on a daily basis and probability questions.

Interview Questions
    • You have 50 coins that add up to $1. You go into a coffee shop to buy coffee that is $1. The shop has a policy that if you are a penny short, you can still get the coffee. You're about to pay and you drop one coin. What is the probability that you can still get a coffee?   View Answers (2)