Yammer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 16, 2014

3.3

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yammer in May 2012.

Connected to recruiter by an employee. It took some back and forth to get something scheduled despite their expressed interest in me. The interview day was really unstructured and pretty odd. I found myself essentially telling them what to ask me rather than them giving any sort of difficult questions. There didn't seem to be a lot of integration amongst the marketing team members, and the enthusiasm level for the company wasn't inspiring. As such, decided not to continue the process after this day.

UI/Visual Designer Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Yammer in January 2014.

This was one of the worst interviewing experiences I have ever had. After an initial phone screen conducted by the recruiter, I was given an assignment that would be evaluated by members of the UX team upon completion. The assignment was easy and I submitted it for review before the deadline. Two weeks (!) later I received a call from the recruiter asking if I would like to chat over the phone with a couple people from the team. Despite some rudeness from one of the interviewers, it went fairly well, however that rudeness should have tipped me off that things about this company are a little askew.

A few days later I was contacted by the recruiter to schedule a series of in person interviews on-site at the Yammer offices on Market Street. I was told that I would first be meeting with a 'couple' of designers for a portfolio review, after which I would be given yet another design exercise to complete before meeting with other members of the team. That sounded all fine and good and I was excited about the opportunity.

Imagine my surprise when I arrived at my interview and was told that I would be presenting my portfolio to the entire team—about 15-20 people (plus a dog?!). The entire team crowded into a conference room and proceeded to conduct the most contentious and hostile group interview I have ever experienced. It seemed that the whole experience was geared towards seeing if they can rattle you. Having a dog jump up onto your lap was an added bonus as well.

After being misled about my portfolio presentation I was immediately thrown into a white boarding exercise with two team members who seemed to be more than happy to continue theme of contention. At this point I was so miffed at the proceedings that I pretty much checked out. I couldn't imaging myself working with such an arrogant, entitled and disingenuous group of people.

I have been working in this industry here in the Bay Area for quite some time. Long enough to know how small it is, and if you treat people poorly, no matter if you think they are a 'fit' for your team or not, word gets around. And there are some of us that have long memories.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you probing questions to see how/if you might react to an environment that relies heavily on user data to inform design decisions.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Yammer in August 2012.

First phone interview with HR, basic background and motivation questions.
    Second phone interview with Data analyst, more technical, already some brain teasers so be prepared, review your statistics and probabilities.
    After face to face interview with some member of the team and the director.
    A lot of challenging questions from each members of the team, more brain teasers to solve.

Interview Questions
    • Lot's of brain teasers, and real data analysis. Check on Google for some famous Brain teaser.
      The gold bar, the lake with the fishes, the ropes on fire etc...
        Answer Question

Product Intelligence Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Yammer in February 2013.

A friend of mine who works at Yammer submitted my resume internally. I was immediately contacted by a recruiter who was very friendly and professional. I had two phone interviews with people from the data team consisting of probability questions and open-ended data analysis questions.

After my phone interviews I was invited for on-site interviews. It took about 3-4 hours and consisted of 5 back-to-back interviews, in the same style as the phone interview. Some of the questions were quite difficult.

About a week later they called and let me know they weren't giving me an offer.

The whole process was professional and interesting. Some of the data analysis problems we spoke about were really fascinating and I hadn't heard about before.

Data Scientist (Product Intelligence Manager) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Yammer in March 2014.

1) 30 min HR screening phone interview: What do you know about Yammer? Why do you want to work at Yammer? Tell me about your background.
    2) Two technical phone interview with data scientists, 30min each. Each one had a probability / statistics brain teaser and an open-ended business case.
    3) On-site interview: 6 interviews, 1 HR and 5 technical with data scientists. Each technical interview has a probability / statistics brain teaser and an open-ended business case, very similar to the phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • Example probability brain teasers: probabilities when rolling two dice twice with the second roll depending on the outcome of the first, the German tank problem, breaking a 4-digit code with different prior information etc. In total: know your combinatorics and Bayes rule in-and-out!

Example business cases:
      - You own a museum and consider putting up an exhibition by a new artist. How would you go about the decision? What kind of information / data would you look for, how would you use it?
      - You want to buy a TV on amazon.com. How do you make a decision?
      - You performed A/B testing on a change in a search engine algorithm. Although in B, the coders made a mistake which led to really poor search results, user clicked on more results as well as on more ads. How do you interpret the results, what do you do next? etc.
      In total, they look for how you think and approach a problem. They often want to know how you deal with incomplete information, short timelines, trade-offs.

Overall, all interviewers were very friendly and professional. My HR contact was very responsive throughout the whole process. My interview process was unusually long because of visa questions - normally they are faster than 3 months;-)
        Answer Question

Product Intelligence Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Yammer.

I applied this online. A few weeks later I got the first phone interview. He asked me about my general background, some probability question and a short problem solving question.
    I got the second round onsite interview in SF. It takes from noon to afternoon with a group of candidates in the building. It consists four round of individual interviews meeting with one of the analytics team member a time. They tend to ask you about some probability questions and problem solving things. Actually, all types of questions will be asked.

Sales Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Yammer in April 2012.

I applied via a LinkedIn job posting and also sent a message to the recruiter who had posted the job. I got a message back the next day to set up a phone screen. The initial phone screen with the recruiter was 2 days later for 30 mins. At the end of the call, the recruiter scheduled a call with the hiring manager for the next day. That call went well and I was invited for an on-site interview the following week. I met with 3 people for about 45 mins each. I got a phone call with an offer an hour after I got home.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked what my biggest failure was - I had expected something about greatest weaknesses, but failure threw me for a loop.   Answer Question
    They asked what my salary requirements were. I gave a $10k range and they came back with an offer right in the middle of it. I tried to negotiate for more stock but they told me that wasn't negotiable.

Interaction Designer Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Yammer.

I was contacted through email first. The recruiter mentioned the designers viewed my portfolio and that they would like to connect over phone. I never ended up talking to the designers, just the recruiter. We briefly went over some of my past projects, and talked about what I was interested in - in terms of career goals.

After the phone call, I was given a "homework" exercise to complete. In it, they mention they make design candidates go through this because a resume doesn't tell the whole story and they want to see how you approach a problem. In the exercise, you have three options to choose from. They're quick exercises that shouldn't take you more than a few hours.

After I sent in my exercise, I was told I would receive feedback once they review it. It took them a little over 2 weeks to get back to me. I got a response after emailing them whether or not they ever reviewed my work.

Interview Questions
    • If anything, it was probably the homework exercise. But even then, nothing about this interview was unexpected, or difficult.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Yammer in December 2013.

Initial conversation with recruiter, then homework assignment to discuss a feature from Spotify or Facebook, and follow up discussion with 1 or 2 Product Managers by phone. Final stage: in person interviews? Don't know yet.

Interview Questions
    • Choose any web service, and then discuss features on it, and in particular answer questions about why a particular was introduced, and how to measure its success or otherwise.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

- 20 minutes online test. 6 questions total. 5 math/statistics questions, 1 general/short answer question.

One week later

- 30 min phone conversation/interview with the recruiter. Going through my resume, and clarifying the job duties.

- 30 min phone interview with a junior data analyst. More math questions and the following question.

Interview Questions
    • Suppose you are a manager at Facebook. Consider an application you could choose to read updates from "close friends" only. How are you going to evaluate this new application.   Answer Question

Worked for Yammer? Contribute to the Community!