Yammer Interview Questions & Reviews in San Francisco, CA

3.3

39 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yammer in May 2012.

Connected to recruiter by an employee. It took some back and forth to get something scheduled despite their expressed interest in me. The interview day was really unstructured and pretty odd. I found myself essentially telling them what to ask me rather than them giving any sort of difficult questions. There didn't seem to be a lot of integration amongst the marketing team members, and the enthusiasm level for the company wasn't inspiring. As such, decided not to continue the process after this day.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Yammer in August 2012.

First phone interview with HR, basic background and motivation questions.
    Second phone interview with Data analyst, more technical, already some brain teasers so be prepared, review your statistics and probabilities.
    After face to face interview with some member of the team and the director.
    A lot of challenging questions from each members of the team, more brain teasers to solve.

Interview Questions
    • Lot's of brain teasers, and real data analysis. Check on Google for some famous Brain teaser.
      The gold bar, the lake with the fishes, the ropes on fire etc...
        Answer Question

Product Intelligence Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Yammer in February 2013.

A friend of mine who works at Yammer submitted my resume internally. I was immediately contacted by a recruiter who was very friendly and professional. I had two phone interviews with people from the data team consisting of probability questions and open-ended data analysis questions.

After my phone interviews I was invited for on-site interviews. It took about 3-4 hours and consisted of 5 back-to-back interviews, in the same style as the phone interview. Some of the questions were quite difficult.

About a week later they called and let me know they weren't giving me an offer.

The whole process was professional and interesting. Some of the data analysis problems we spoke about were really fascinating and I hadn't heard about before.

Data Scientist (Product Intelligence Manager) Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Yammer in March 2014.

1) 30 min HR screening phone interview: What do you know about Yammer? Why do you want to work at Yammer? Tell me about your background.
    2) Two technical phone interview with data scientists, 30min each. Each one had a probability / statistics brain teaser and an open-ended business case.
    3) On-site interview: 6 interviews, 1 HR and 5 technical with data scientists. Each technical interview has a probability / statistics brain teaser and an open-ended business case, very similar to the phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • Example probability brain teasers: probabilities when rolling two dice twice with the second roll depending on the outcome of the first, the German tank problem, breaking a 4-digit code with different prior information etc. In total: know your combinatorics and Bayes rule in-and-out!

Example business cases:
      - You own a museum and consider putting up an exhibition by a new artist. How would you go about the decision? What kind of information / data would you look for, how would you use it?
      - You want to buy a TV on amazon.com. How do you make a decision?
      - You performed A/B testing on a change in a search engine algorithm. Although in B, the coders made a mistake which led to really poor search results, user clicked on more results as well as on more ads. How do you interpret the results, what do you do next? etc.
      In total, they look for how you think and approach a problem. They often want to know how you deal with incomplete information, short timelines, trade-offs.

Overall, all interviewers were very friendly and professional. My HR contact was very responsive throughout the whole process. My interview process was unusually long because of visa questions - normally they are faster than 3 months;-)
        Answer Question

Product Intelligence Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online - interviewed at Yammer.

I applied this online. A few weeks later I got the first phone interview. He asked me about my general background, some probability question and a short problem solving question.
    I got the second round onsite interview in SF. It takes from noon to afternoon with a group of candidates in the building. It consists four round of individual interviews meeting with one of the analytics team member a time. They tend to ask you about some probability questions and problem solving things. Actually, all types of questions will be asked.

Sales Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Yammer in April 2012.

I applied via a LinkedIn job posting and also sent a message to the recruiter who had posted the job. I got a message back the next day to set up a phone screen. The initial phone screen with the recruiter was 2 days later for 30 mins. At the end of the call, the recruiter scheduled a call with the hiring manager for the next day. That call went well and I was invited for an on-site interview the following week. I met with 3 people for about 45 mins each. I got a phone call with an offer an hour after I got home.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked what my biggest failure was - I had expected something about greatest weaknesses, but failure threw me for a loop.   Answer Question
    They asked what my salary requirements were. I gave a $10k range and they came back with an offer right in the middle of it. I tried to negotiate for more stock but they told me that wasn't negotiable.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at Yammer in December 2013.

Initial conversation with recruiter, then homework assignment to discuss a feature from Spotify or Facebook, and follow up discussion with 1 or 2 Product Managers by phone. Final stage: in person interviews? Don't know yet.

Interview Questions
    • Choose any web service, and then discuss features on it, and in particular answer questions about why a particular was introduced, and how to measure its success or otherwise.   Answer Question

Ruby On Rails Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Yammer in August 2012.

Very professional process. Brought to the office and did 3 rounds - 2 technical rounds each round with a pair of programmer/engineers, the final round with a supervisor. Questions included white boarding and for the most part were straight forward and all were appropriate. Every opportunity was afforded to me to exhibit skills and to speak about myself both at work and outside of work (work/family life balance)

Interview Questions
    • Being well versed in technical details of Ruby as a language is more than helpful, although not brain crunchingly absurd. Nothing was unexpected.   Answer Question

Product Information Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Yammer.

first was an online web challenge - this is mostly probability type questions. then came a technical phone interview. apparently this is very hit or miss for people because your success here is completely dependent on your interviewer. i got a bunch of questions about coin tossing and dice rolling. last was the onsite interview.

Interview Questions
    • during my onsite most of the questions were very open ended. none of them were particularly technical, though.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Yammer.

I had an initial phone call from HR which went well and was followed by a project. I was asked to redesign a Yammer feature with explicit and assumed constraints, and put together a presentation. They suggest that candidates spend no more than 3-5 hours on it, but I wanted to be thorough and spent approximately 20 hours. Every beat was hit and in testing, the feature I redesigned improved the UX and conversions in 5-second tests.

A few days after I submitted it for review, I received a response and was told that everything was great except I totally botched one aspect of it. They would not be moving forward, citing that I missed the mark on a key point (to be fair, the feature doesn't actually work on the product). Despite the defense of my design, they pretty much shut me down then and there and I never heard from them again.

The experience was unpleasant and unprofessional, and I did not get the sense that they were remotely open to any idea that didn't match their own. Based on my experience, it was not a nurturing work environment.

Interview Questions
    • Redesign a specific feature and create a presentation around it.   Answer Question

Worked for Yammer? Contribute to the Community!