Yammer

Relevance Date Difficulty

Data Analyst Interview

Data Analyst
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Yammer in August 2012.

Interview Details – First phone interview with HR, basic background and motivation questions.
Second phone interview with Data analyst, more technical, already some brain teasers so be prepared, review your statistics and probabilities.
After face to face interview with some member of the team and the director.
A lot of challenging questions from each members of the team, more brain teasers to solve.

Interview Question – Lot's of brain teasers, and real data analysis. Check on Google for some famous Brain teaser.
The gold bar, the lake with the fishes, the ropes on fire etc...
  Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Product Intelligence Management Interview

Product Intelligence Management
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Yammer in February 2013.

Interview Details – A friend of mine who works at Yammer submitted my resume internally. I was immediately contacted by a recruiter who was very friendly and professional. I had two phone interviews with people from the data team consisting of probability questions and open-ended data analysis questions.

After my phone interviews I was invited for on-site interviews. It took about 3-4 hours and consisted of 5 back-to-back interviews, in the same style as the phone interview. Some of the questions were quite difficult.

About a week later they called and let me know they weren't giving me an offer.

The whole process was professional and interesting. Some of the data analysis problems we spoke about were really fascinating and I hadn't heard about before.

Data Scientist (Product Intelligence Manager) Interview

Data Scientist (Product Intelligence Manager)
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Yammer in March 2014.

Interview Details – 1) 30 min HR screening phone interview: What do you know about Yammer? Why do you want to work at Yammer? Tell me about your background.
2) Two technical phone interview with data scientists, 30min each. Each one had a probability / statistics brain teaser and an open-ended business case.
3) On-site interview: 6 interviews, 1 HR and 5 technical with data scientists. Each technical interview has a probability / statistics brain teaser and an open-ended business case, very similar to the phone interview.

Interview Question – Example probability brain teasers: probabilities when rolling two dice twice with the second roll depending on the outcome of the first, the German tank problem, breaking a 4-digit code with different prior information etc. In total: know your combinatorics and Bayes rule in-and-out!

Example business cases:
- You own a museum and consider putting up an exhibition by a new artist. How would you go about the decision? What kind of information / data would you look for, how would you use it?
- You want to buy a TV on amazon.com. How do you make a decision?
- You performed A/B testing on a change in a search engine algorithm. Although in B, the coders made a mistake which led to really poor search results, user clicked on more results as well as on more ads. How do you interpret the results, what do you do next? etc.
In total, they look for how you think and approach a problem. They often want to know how you deal with incomplete information, short timelines, trade-offs.

Overall, all interviewers were very friendly and professional. My HR contact was very responsive throughout the whole process. My interview process was unusually long because of visa questions - normally they are faster than 3 months;-)
  Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Product Intelligence Management Interview

Product Intelligence Management
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and interviewed at Yammer.

Interview Details – I applied this online. A few weeks later I got the first phone interview. He asked me about my general background, some probability question and a short problem solving question.
I got the second round onsite interview in SF. It takes from noon to afternoon with a group of candidates in the building. It consists four round of individual interviews meeting with one of the analytics team member a time. They tend to ask you about some probability questions and problem solving things. Actually, all types of questions will be asked.

Interview Question – How do you decide what clothes to buy when shopping?   Answer Question

Sales Trainer Interview

Sales Trainer
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yammer in April 2012.

Interview Details – I applied via a LinkedIn job posting and also sent a message to the recruiter who had posted the job. I got a message back the next day to set up a phone screen. The initial phone screen with the recruiter was 2 days later for 30 mins. At the end of the call, the recruiter scheduled a call with the hiring manager for the next day. That call went well and I was invited for an on-site interview the following week. I met with 3 people for about 45 mins each. I got a phone call with an offer an hour after I got home.

Interview Question – Was asked what my biggest failure was - I had expected something about greatest weaknesses, but failure threw me for a loop.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They asked what my salary requirements were. I gave a $10k range and they came back with an offer right in the middle of it. I tried to negotiate for more stock but they told me that wasn't negotiable.

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Yammer in December 2013.

Interview Details – Initial conversation with recruiter, then homework assignment to discuss a feature from Spotify or Facebook, and follow up discussion with 1 or 2 Product Managers by phone. Final stage: in person interviews? Don't know yet.

Interview Question – Choose any web service, and then discuss features on it, and in particular answer questions about why a particular was introduced, and how to measure its success or otherwise.   Answer Question

Ruby On Rails Programmer Interview

Ruby On Rails Programmer
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Yammer in August 2012.

Interview Details – Very professional process. Brought to the office and did 3 rounds - 2 technical rounds each round with a pair of programmer/engineers, the final round with a supervisor. Questions included white boarding and for the most part were straight forward and all were appropriate. Every opportunity was afforded to me to exhibit skills and to speak about myself both at work and outside of work (work/family life balance)

Interview Question – Being well versed in technical details of Ruby as a language is more than helpful, although not brain crunchingly absurd. Nothing was unexpected.   Answer Question

Product Information Manager Interview

Product Information Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Yammer.

Interview Details – first was an online web challenge - this is mostly probability type questions. then came a technical phone interview. apparently this is very hit or miss for people because your success here is completely dependent on your interviewer. i got a bunch of questions about coin tossing and dice rolling. last was the onsite interview.

Interview Question – during my onsite most of the questions were very open ended. none of them were particularly technical, though.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yammer.

Interview Details – I had an initial phone call from HR which went well and was followed by a project. I was asked to redesign a Yammer feature with explicit and assumed constraints, and put together a presentation. They suggest that candidates spend no more than 3-5 hours on it, but I wanted to be thorough and spent approximately 20 hours. Every beat was hit and in testing, the feature I redesigned improved the UX and conversions in 5-second tests.

A few days after I submitted it for review, I received a response and was told that everything was great except I totally botched one aspect of it. They would not be moving forward, citing that I missed the mark on a key point (to be fair, the feature doesn't actually work on the product). Despite the defense of my design, they pretty much shut me down then and there and I never heard from them again.

The experience was unpleasant and unprofessional, and I did not get the sense that they were remotely open to any idea that didn't match their own. Based on my experience, it was not a nurturing work environment.

Interview Question – Redesign a specific feature and create a presentation around it.   Answer Question

Business Intelligence Manager Interview

Business Intelligence Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yammer in July 2013.

Interview Details – Initially there was an online test consisting of six questions regarding basic probability (mostly applications of conditioning). Then I had about a 30 minute interview with a recruiter who detailed the position. Afterwards I had a 30 minute interview with a junior memory of the data analytics team. He asked one probability question and one general question that was more in the realm of product management.

Interview Question – You're playing a game with a friend where some third party flips a fair coin. You can choose a sequence of either Heads, Heads, Tails or Heads, Tails, Heads. Your friend gets the remaining sequence. Whoever's sequence occurs first wins. Which do you pick?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Yammer

Worked for Yammer? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Yammer interview questions and advice in San Francisco, CA. All 38 interview reviews posted anonymously by Yammer employees and interview candidates.