Yammer

3.3

39 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Data Scientist (Product Intelligence Manager) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Yammer in March 2014.

1) 30 min HR screening phone interview: What do you know about Yammer? Why do you want to work at Yammer? Tell me about your background.
    2) Two technical phone interview with data scientists, 30min each. Each one had a probability / statistics brain teaser and an open-ended business case.
    3) On-site interview: 6 interviews, 1 HR and 5 technical with data scientists. Each technical interview has a probability / statistics brain teaser and an open-ended business case, very similar to the phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • Example probability brain teasers: probabilities when rolling two dice twice with the second roll depending on the outcome of the first, the German tank problem, breaking a 4-digit code with different prior information etc. In total: know your combinatorics and Bayes rule in-and-out!

Example business cases:
      - You own a museum and consider putting up an exhibition by a new artist. How would you go about the decision? What kind of information / data would you look for, how would you use it?
      - You want to buy a TV on amazon.com. How do you make a decision?
      - You performed A/B testing on a change in a search engine algorithm. Although in B, the coders made a mistake which led to really poor search results, user clicked on more results as well as on more ads. How do you interpret the results, what do you do next? etc.
      In total, they look for how you think and approach a problem. They often want to know how you deal with incomplete information, short timelines, trade-offs.

Overall, all interviewers were very friendly and professional. My HR contact was very responsive throughout the whole process. My interview process was unusually long because of visa questions - normally they are faster than 3 months;-)

Answer Question

Product Intelligence Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Yammer.

I applied this online. A few weeks later I got the first phone interview. He asked me about my general background, some probability question and a short problem solving question.
    I got the second round onsite interview in SF. It takes from noon to afternoon with a group of candidates in the building. It consists four round of individual interviews meeting with one of the analytics team member a time. They tend to ask you about some probability questions and problem solving things. Actually, all types of questions will be asked.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yammer in December 2013.

Initial conversation with recruiter, then homework assignment to discuss a feature from Spotify or Facebook, and follow up discussion with 1 or 2 Product Managers by phone. Final stage: in person interviews? Don't know yet.

Interview Questions
    • Choose any web service, and then discuss features on it, and in particular answer questions about why a particular was introduced, and how to measure its success or otherwise.   Answer Question

Product Information Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yammer.

first was an online web challenge - this is mostly probability type questions. then came a technical phone interview. apparently this is very hit or miss for people because your success here is completely dependent on your interviewer. i got a bunch of questions about coin tossing and dice rolling. last was the onsite interview.

Interview Questions
    • during my onsite most of the questions were very open ended. none of them were particularly technical, though.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yammer.

I had an initial phone call from HR which went well and was followed by a project. I was asked to redesign a Yammer feature with explicit and assumed constraints, and put together a presentation. They suggest that candidates spend no more than 3-5 hours on it, but I wanted to be thorough and spent approximately 20 hours. Every beat was hit and in testing, the feature I redesigned improved the UX and conversions in 5-second tests.

A few days after I submitted it for review, I received a response and was told that everything was great except I totally botched one aspect of it. They would not be moving forward, citing that I missed the mark on a key point (to be fair, the feature doesn't actually work on the product). Despite the defense of my design, they pretty much shut me down then and there and I never heard from them again.

The experience was unpleasant and unprofessional, and I did not get the sense that they were remotely open to any idea that didn't match their own. Based on my experience, it was not a nurturing work environment.

Interview Questions
    • Redesign a specific feature and create a presentation around it.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Yammer.

The test includes six questions and has a time limit of 20 minutes. Once you register for the test, the timer begins immediately so please ensure you set aside a full 20 minutes for this. The first four questions are short answer. Question 5 has one correct answer, but requires a one- or two-sentence explanation. The last question is open-ended, and good answers are typically a couple paragraphs long. You may skip between questions throughout the test, so if you are stuck, feel free to move on and come back to that question later.

Interview Questions
    • What is the expected value of rolling a 6-sided die.

The sum of two prime numbers is 999. What is the higher of these two numbers?

I went out to dinner last night and discovered that I charged
      $50.40 in total for my meal. Tax is 5%, and I always I tip 20% of the meal + tax amount. If 60% of the cost of my meal was my entree, how much did I spend on the entree?

You walk into a Las Vegas casino. There are 10 slot machines. 9
      of them win 20% of the time. 1 of them, the lucky machine, wins 30% of the time. But you don't know which one is the lucky one (the 30% winner). You watch someone put a quarter into the machine and win. What is the chance it was the "lucky" machine?

Two players, A and B are rolling a fair die. Whoever rolls 5 first
      wins. A plays first and then B. What is the probability that A wins? Please discuss. Do you think there is any unfair advantage for any player in this game?

View Answers (2)

Business Intelligence Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yammer in July 2013.

Initially there was an online test consisting of six questions regarding basic probability (mostly applications of conditioning). Then I had about a 30 minute interview with a recruiter who detailed the position. Afterwards I had a 30 minute interview with a junior memory of the data analytics team. He asked one probability question and one general question that was more in the realm of product management.

Interview Questions
    • You're playing a game with a friend where some third party flips a fair coin. You can choose a sequence of either Heads, Heads, Tails or Heads, Tails, Heads. Your friend gets the remaining sequence. Whoever's sequence occurs first wins. Which do you pick?   View Answer

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Yammer in June 2013.

I had to submit a detailed GTM plan for a launch, which took around 10-15 hours on research and I also have a full-time job. Till this time, I just had a conversation with the HR who explained the project and asked me basic questions on my current position. Apparently, the project was reviewed by the team and I was called for an interview. It was the most disorganized interview I had ever given. I took a day off from my job to go to SF for a 5 hour interview. The first 2 folks were from adjacent groups and the interview was OK. Then I had 2 people from the same team for which I was being interviewed. They had a laptop open in front of them all the time and they were joking that they did not have a chance to look at my resume before this so they needed to read it now. I would have expected the folks to atleast read my resume since I had put in 12 hours on their company. Then the HR came in and told me that the hiring manager and one more person got pulled into a meeting and cannot meet me. So I took a day off to meet 4 people who had no clue about my resume or my position and apparently the hiring manager was too busy to meet me. The HR contacted me after 4 days and mentioned that I was not a right fit. Extremely unprofessional and some of the interviewers were very arrogant (also mentioned in some other reviews) and high-handed.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yammer in June 2013.

Tough interview process. Online quiz was easy but phone interview was challenging.

Front-End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yammer in May 2013.

I submitted my resume online through Microsoft's career site. An HR representative called me shortly thereafter (within about a week) and set up an initial technical phone interview. During this second interview I was asked a number of JavaScript and basic programming questions.

Next came a flight to Yammer headquarters where I interviewed for about 5 hours. They put my up in the Grand Hyatt, which I really enjoyed staying at. Dinner and taxi expenses were reimbursed. The interview was awesome and I thought they did a very thorough job learning how good of a developer I am and if I would fit in with the company. Again, lots of JavaScript questions were asked and a few CSS questions. They also asked an architecture question.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were crazy, but they were designed in such a way that they tested your understanding of really fundamental concepts. I would recommend that you know JavaScript really well - things like prototypes, closures, functions, etc.   Answer Question