Yammer

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

User Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yammer in August 2012.

Responded to a job posting online, spoke with the recruiter who knew nothing about research, although she talked on, throwing terms around inaccurately. Was asked to complete a homework assignment. "Passed" that, and was asked to come into the SF office where I met with the hiring manager, 2 product managers (one of whom was their interim "researcher"), and a designer. You could cut the attitude in the building with a knife. I had no idea, and was not prepared for this--it really caught me off-guard. There are a lot of inexperienced recent graduates running the show.

The questions were largely scenario-based, e.g., How would solve a certain problem using research. How would I engage with the team, and what methodologies would I employ. The hiring manager seems to understand research, but the product managers expressed confusion when I suggested using methodologies beyond surveys and talking on the phone. I asked someone if there was budget already allocated for research beyond the FTE, and was told there wasn't. When I asked about conducting ethnographies in person, I was told that Customer Success Managers (?) are the only people who go into the field, and they could ask my questions for me. Not sure why they want to hire a researcher if they are not going to give them the tools to conduct it.

Interview Questions
  • How would you get a CEO who uses our product rarely to talk with you and find out why they don't use the product often?   View Answer