Yandex

Updated Jan 10, 2015
Updated Jan 10, 2015

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Yandex in May 2014.

I applied through the Yandex web site, and sent the solutions to a few tasks which took overall three full days to complete. The questions were fairly difficult and required good problem solving, knowledge about complexity, data structures and algorithms, and good C++ skills. After that, a recruiter contacted me and set up a Skype interview with two developers. I thought at this point they would just verify my level of knowledge about the skills I had proven to have by solving the tasks. Instead, they asked me questions that were more difficult than those posted on the web site. Really kind of tricky. Why don't they interview people for half an hour like all decent companies as a first step instead of making you develop for days and then rejecting you because you cannot answer a couple of tricky questions? At Yandex they probably think that half an hour of theirs is worth three days of yours. I think they should select people first, and make sure they fit their needs, and then ask them to develop for hours. And finally the funny thing is the email they send you telling you you are not going to get offered a job in which they suggest they might contact you for future opportunities. All to avoid THESE kind of reviews, which I think everyone should write.

Interview Questions
    • Some coding involving constructors in C++ containing within themselves dynamically allocated objects and how to handle exceptions that might be risen   Answer Question

Android Developer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yandex in November 2014.

The interview was spanned in three stages. First of all it was a bunch of small tasks described in the Jobs section on the company site. Two of three tasks was targeted on Java and last one to the Android.
    After first step completion I was invited to take online interview, which took one hour and I was asked to write small program that should make a horizontal traversal of the tree. Also I was asked a bunch of questions about Android. After all I was invited to the interview which took place at Yandex office in Moscow.
    Offline interview was comprised of four sections each for one hour: Java, Android, Algorithms and Architecture. During the section of Java I was asked to write small program to join two sorted lists into one, also I was asked some questions about collections, synchronization and "happens-before".
    During the Android section I was asked a bunch of questions on Android, Manifest, permissions, intents etc. On the section of algorithms we've discussed possible solutions for three algorithmic tasks and tried to evaluate each solution in regard of Big O notation and space using. Finding best solution requires knowledge of classic data structures such as Red-Black Trees. On the last section I was asked to write implementation of Observer pattern.
    All interviewers were polite and kind and professional. HR-team members also were kind, polite and gave me feedback in short period of time.

Interview Questions
    • Which viewgroup is fastest in displaying RelativeLayout or LinearLayout   View Answer

Product Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yandex in September 2014.

I filled form on corporate site for this position with some questions about yandex product. Next day HR called me and make an appointment of a skype interview. Interview were fixed in time only 30 minutes. All questions was about yandex product and what can I do to monetize this product more. Only one question was about my experience.

Interview Questions
    • How I see a new product feature way in yandex from idea to release.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moscow (Russia)

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yandex.

I got a call from HR suggesting to fill the form at the site's vacancies zone. Then I was invited to technical 1.5 hour interview with specialists. We talked about how to create a search engine, how search engines work an so on. Then I got a problem to solve at home with a week limit (to apply some machine learning algorithm). Then I was invited to another interview with not only technical specialists but also team managers and head of the department. There were some quite simple questions and some tricky questions with multiple ways to solve they expected to hear.

Interview Questions
    • How can we understand that search is good? What is search quality?   Answer Question

Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Istanbul (Turkey)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Istanbul (Turkey)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Yandex in July 2014.

Applied for the position through their web page on April, they replied on June and made the interview on July, 2nd interview on August. Extremely slow HR team. First interview was on Skype with HR specialist, 2nd interview was also on Skype with HR specials and Manager.

Interview Questions
    • Coments about Yandex search engine system   View Answer

Summer Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moscow (Russia)

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Yandex in June 2014.

At first I recieved 3 problems for 2 weeks. I solved them and after a month recieved a new problem set. I submited it as well and recruiter scheduled phone interview. But in specified time nobody called. I asked recruiter, she said something like that: "Our developers were too busy to interview you and all intern positions are already filled, but your work was highly graded". I wasted a lot of time into nothing.At first I recieved 3 problems for 2 weeks. I solved them and after a month recieved a new problem set. I submited it aswell and recruter scheduled phone interview. But in specified time nobody called. I asked recruter, she said something like "Our developers were very busy to inerview you and all intern positions are already filled, but your work was highly graded"

Interview Questions
    • Split convex polygon into 4 parts with equal area using two perpendicular cuts.   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moscow (Russia)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yandex in May 2014.

The recruiter wrote to me and asked if I interested in employment, but I wasn't able to work full time, so she suggested me to work as summer intern. Then I received from her some home tasks, such as implement AdaBoost and I was given two weeks to do. I successfuly passed this part and was invited for 1-1 interview.

Interview Questions
    • There were lots of questions about machine learning and computer vision, such as random forest, distance-based classification, boosting, methods of optimization, neural networks, bag of words and so on. Also I was asked about some data structures and sorting algorithms, and there was an average test about C++ syntax.   Answer Question

Ios Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moscow (Russia)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yandex.

There were common questions about memory managing, multithreading, basic algorithms and data structure.

Interview Questions
    • 1) Write getter and setter for atomic and copy property.
      2) Optimize default sorting algorithm.
      3) Processing run loop in background thread.

Answer Question

Call Center Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Yandex.

Nice and fast communication beforehand, yet a little late to get back to my application. First interview was on Skype, the second one (happened on the day after) was in their office. The interview was nice and friendly and they asked me different kinds of questions regarding both my view on life and the post in question.

Interview Questions
    They were responsive and heard me out.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moscow (Russia)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yandex.

- Chatting to HR was skipped, first interview was with product/dev people.
    - Topics related to the products relevant to the position weren't discussed. Instead, most questions were on Yandex.Taxi, for some reason.
    - Previous projects and challenges weren't discussed almost at all.
    - A traditional 'homework' assignment wasn't given, most likely due to my lack of interest in discussing the taxi app.