Yandex

10 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Yandex in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through the Yandex web site, and sent the solutions to a few tasks which took overall three full days to complete. The questions were fairly difficult and required good problem solving, knowledge about complexity, data structures and algorithms, and good C++ skills. After that, a recruiter contacted me and set up a Skype interview with two developers. I thought at this point they would just verify my level of knowledge about the skills I had proven to have by solving the tasks. Instead, they asked me questions that were more difficult than those posted on the web site. Really kind of tricky. Why don't they interview people for half an hour like all decent companies as a first step instead of making you develop for days and then rejecting you because you cannot answer a couple of tricky questions? At Yandex they probably think that half an hour of theirs is worth three days of yours. I think they should select people first, and make sure they fit their needs, and then ask them to develop for hours. And finally the funny thing is the email they send you telling you you are not going to get offered a job in which they suggest they might contact you for future opportunities. All to avoid THESE kind of reviews, which I think everyone should write.

Interview Question – Some coding involving constructors in C++ containing within themselves dynamically allocated objects and how to handle exceptions that might be risen   Answer Question

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Senior Marketing Manager
Moscow (Russia)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yandex in April 2011.

Interview Details – 1. Applying CV.
2. Interview with recruiter & future manager.
3. Interview with team managers (senior level in matrix).
4. Interview with the head of the department.
For the second interview presentation test with 3 questions (from strategy to operational professional area).
The whole process can take from 3 weeks to 2 months depending on all participants of the interview process availability.

Interview Question – What are the usability tests pitfalls   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern
Moscow (Russia)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yandex in May 2014.

Interview Details – The recruiter wrote to me and asked if I interested in employment, but I wasn't able to work full time, so she suggested me to work as summer intern. Then I received from her some home tasks, such as implement AdaBoost and I was given two weeks to do. I successfuly passed this part and was invited for 1-1 interview.

Interview Question – There were lots of questions about machine learning and computer vision, such as random forest, distance-based classification, boosting, methods of optimization, neural networks, bag of words and so on. Also I was asked about some data structures and sorting algorithms, and there was an average test about C++ syntax.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Moscow (Russia)

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Yandex in February 2010.

Interview Details – I had fsome connections in the company who knew my abilities and previous experience. More questioned me on my current job than anything.

Interview Question – To create an algorithm for designing an automatic discionary   Answer Question

Ios Software Engineer Interview

Ios Software Engineer
Moscow (Russia)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yandex.

Interview Details – There were common questions about memory managing, multithreading, basic algorithms and data structure.

Interview Question – 1) Write getter and setter for atomic and copy property.
2) Optimize default sorting algorithm.
3) Processing run loop in background thread.
  Answer Question

Call Center Interview

Call Center

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Yandex.

Interview Details – Nice and fast communication beforehand, yet a little late to get back to my application. First interview was on Skype, the second one (happened on the day after) was in their office. The interview was nice and friendly and they asked me different kinds of questions regarding both my view on life and the post in question.

Interview Question – Why do people lie?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They were responsive and heard me out.

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Moscow (Russia)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yandex.

Interview Details – - Chatting to HR was skipped, first interview was with product/dev people.
- Topics related to the products relevant to the position weren't discussed. Instead, most questions were on Yandex.Taxi, for some reason.
- Previous projects and challenges weren't discussed almost at all.
- A traditional 'homework' assignment wasn't given, most likely due to my lack of interest in discussing the taxi app.

Interview Question – The whole taxi app routine.   Answer Question

Software Engineer (IOS) Interview

Software Engineer (IOS)
Moscow (Russia)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yandex in April 2011.

Interview Details – yandex.ru website has vacancies zone. Filled up answers for the questions there. They have sent me a test task. After I have completed it, I had Skype interview where they were asking basic questions about my background and some basic questions about Objective-C and iOS-related things. On the final on-site interview they did ask some deeper questions about iOS, background and some tricky tasks on multithreading.

Interview Question – Main questions were quite simple. That tricky questions did blown away my mind, it used to be 4 of them, and I answered to only 1.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Moscow (Russia)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Yandex.

Interview Details – The recruiting process was initiated by me. I filled out a form on the Yandexes corporate web-site. After a week I received an e-mail from an HR agent from the company. The email contained two problems to solve, and you are given two weeks to do that. The tasks themselves are not very hard in terms of complexity, but never the less you have to put a lot of effort in them, because one of the rules is to write your own shared libraries.
Two weeks after emailing the solution, I was invited for an interview in the main office of the company. The interview was not that difficult either - basic computer algorithms, data structures, design-patterns and application architecture. Also there was a JavaScript syntax and semantics test (medium to advanced level knowledge of the language). The interview took about two and a half hours. I recommend getting something to drink before you get in the room, like a bottle of water, because in the end your mouth will probably be dry as hell.
Two weeks later I received an email for a second interview. As I understood later, the first interview was sort of an basic software engineering interview. The second interview was already in the project team that I was assigned for. The interview was much shorter and concentrated on my professional goals, education and experience. There was a little talk about object-oriented programing and that was all.
On the next I got an email from the recruiter for my assistance with the legal actions of hiring me.

Interview Question – Maybe the most difficult part were the JavaScript syntax questions. They required deep understanding of how the parser and the engine work.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Legal issues - as I'm a foreign student in Russia, I couldn't get permission from my university to work even half-time.

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Moscow (Russia)

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Yandex in August 2012.

Interview Details – I had 3 interviews. The first one was a phone interview, the second was a campus interview with 3 different developers and the third was with managers of the department.
I would say the second was the hardest. The third was formal and didn't change their opinions as I could see.

Interview Question – A duck that is being chased by a fox saves itself by sitting at the center of circular pond of radius r. The duck can fly from land but cannot fly from the water. Furthermore, the fox cannot swim. The fox is four times faster than the duck. Assuming that the duck and fox are perfectly smart, is it possible for the duck to ever reach the edge of the pond and fly away to its escape from the ground   View Answers (2)

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Yandex? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Yandex interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Yandex employees and interview candidates.