Yankee Candle Assistant Manager Interview Questions

Updated Apr 5, 2015

2.9

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yankee Candle in March 2015.

Interview

I would say it was an average time length before I got a call to come in. During the interview the Manager made comments like, "I don't like these questions." "They make us ask these questions I'm sorry." Why are you apologizing? The questions are there for a reason, and if you don't know the reason maybe you don't know what answers you are supposed to be looking for.She also asked what position I was applying for because she wasn't sure what they posted. When I said "Ast. Mgr." she stated it was for 1st or 2nd ast. mgr. I explained I didn't know what either was. She tried to explain saying they do what the store manager does but I heard no difference in the job description. I was unsure if she even knew, despite being with the company over 5 years. She explained her experience with Yankee and how she left and tried to look for another job and came back and thought, "well I'll just stay till I can find something else." Wow that sounded like she really wanted to come back. Again not a positive thing to say to a potential employee. What came next was the deal breaker for me. She asked me about my salary requirements and when I gave her my numbers, her response was, "Well our company doesn't pay well, we are high end." What? Done. I am thankful I was offered another position with another company. Is it legal to ask for your birthdate on paperwork, without an offer to do a background check? In my experience you are offered the job PENDING passing the background check. No offer was made before filling out the paperwork.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Yankee Candle

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Yankee Candle.

Interview

I applied online. It took couple weeks for the hiring manager to call me. I missed the call and immediately called back only to respond that I couldn't make it to their interview day. They said they'll call back within the next two days. It had been a week and finally heard back from them. However, I missed the call and called them back only to be informed that they'll call me back to set up an interview. It had been another week. It's literally a phone tag. Especially when I received a voicemail from a different woman for Yankee Candle and gave one last final call to inquire about setting up an interview (and finally talked to the hiring manager) the tone of her voice was...not welcoming. She told me that she would call back next week. When the next week came and went, I decided that this was enough. This made me think twice about taking an interview with them and walked away. Plus, the hiring manager's voice was brusque and unpleasant, especially to a potential interviewee.

Assistant Manager Interview

Interview

applied to be an associate ended up a manager

Negotiation

there really wasnt i was already employeed by them so it was like getting a raise

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Janesville, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Yankee Candle (Janesville, WI) in April 2013.

Interview

Position was posted on Craigslist, and on a sign in front of the future store with an e-mail address to the training manager to whom the resume was sent. I sent the resume on a Sunday, and the following Tuesday, I received a phone call from the store manger, who was interested in interviewing me. I was informed in the first interview that I had a strong competitior for the position, which didn't bother me, as I've had years of experience in customer service. I then had a second interview with both the store manager and the district manager.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Yankee Candle (Santa Barbara, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

I was interviewed twice, once over the phone and once in person.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate because they gave me their best offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yankee Candle (Cincinnati, OH) in January 2011.

Interview

Had a interview with the store manager . She just asked about my customer service and how would I greet a customer if I worked here. there was a lot of talk about what I liked and didn't like about previous positions . then a second interview with the district manager that basically went over the same thing except she wanted to know if I knew anything about there products

Interview Questions

• Whats your favorite scent ? and what makes yankee candles different than the rest?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I told them what I expected and they offered me a dollar more than what I wanted

Anonymous Employee in Cranston, RI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Yankee Candle (Cranston, RI) in October 2009.

Interview

Interviewed with a really nice manager. Got a great feeling about the company. I ended up deciding to stay with my current employer because the money was better.

Interview Questions

Just money, I liked the store manager she was great I even felt bad turning down.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yankee Candle (Atlanta, GA) in October 2009.

Interview

Interviewed with the SM and the DM. Both had simple questions mostly centered around customer service. The Back ground check took forever. (1 Month) . Interviewed with the SM first then had to wait for the DM to be availible for the second interview, was called the day of and asked if i could squeeze it in.

Interview Questions

• Was asked about the worst place I've ever worked and it's hard to anwser honestly and not bad mouth a former employer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

What is offered is what you get take it or leave it. I know this from hiring later on.

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Yankee Candle.

Interview

First you fill out a "interest card" in which the employees judge you off of and write either nice or rude comments on. Then the manager goes through all of them and probably picks out about 5-10. They will ask you what customer service is, and what GREAT customer service is. They will also ask if you can do certain duties.

Interview Questions

• GREAT customer service - is.... going above and beyond for the customer. Making them feel special and welcomed in your store at all times.   Answer Question

Negotiation

You must work ALL holidays/holiday weekends and barely get to do anything fun :( No dress up days, or work parties. It's a very harsh environment so be perpared before you accpet the job.