Yankee Candle Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 21, 2014
32 interviews

2.3

Full Time Assistant Manager Interview

The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Yankee Candle.

Got a call- hiring manager stated "I don't know why my DM told me to call you- we don't have any positions available." "Do you want me to hold your application?"

Interview Questions
    • Usual STAR interviewing. Felt she was appeasing a boss- with no intention of hiring me.   Answer Question

Second Assistant Manager Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Yankee Candle in July 2013.

Very good interview. Lots of good questions and it wasn't nerve racking. I sat down and we began to talk abot the product and what the job would entail. I sat there for about an hour and laughed about everything. I would do it over again and the people I work with are great.

Assistant Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Yankee Candle.

I applied online. It took couple weeks for the hiring manager to call me. I missed the call and immediately called back only to respond that I couldn't make it to their interview day. They said they'll call back within the next two days. It had been a week and finally heard back from them. However, I missed the call and called them back only to be informed that they'll call me back to set up an interview. It had been another week. It's literally a phone tag. Especially when I received a voicemail from a different woman for Yankee Candle and gave one last final call to inquire about setting up an interview (and finally talked to the hiring manager) the tone of her voice was...not welcoming. She told me that she would call back next week. When the next week came and went, I decided that this was enough. This made me think twice about taking an interview with them and walked away. Plus, the hiring manager's voice was brusque and unpleasant, especially to a potential interviewee.

Greeter/Sales Floor Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Olympia, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Olympia, WA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Yankee Candle in September 2011.

I applied in person for a seasonal position, and heard back within the week. The interview was held at the location, and I was offered a job at the conclusion of the interview.

Interview Questions

I found a different position that was more valuable for my resume.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mansfield, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mansfield, MA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Yankee Candle in August 2010.

1. Fill out application between July and September, unless a store is hiring out of season
    2. Pass application in; once you get a call, they will set up an interview date
    3. Interviews are fairly easy and just require common sense. It helps to be familiar with the product.
    4. Personality is more important than retail experience- we can.teach you retail, but we can't teach you personality

Interview Questions
    • "How would you try to build a sale if a customer just wanted car products? What else could be added on?" "Give an example of a time you went above and beyond for a customer?" "What is your selling approach for increasing the average dollar per sale?" "What is a technique you could use to convert 4 more transactions?"   Answer Question
    Very little negotiation- salaries are fixed based on job level

Assistant Manager Interview

applied to be an associate ended up a manager

there really wasnt i was already employeed by them so it was like getting a raise

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Freehold, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Freehold, NJ

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yankee Candle in October 2010.

Interview was thorough and complete. Concentration was mainly on experience, as well as a lengthy Q & A using scenarios to determine if you would be a good fit with company guidelines. Interviewer took the time to answer my questions in detail and was genuinely interested in what I wanted to know about the job and any benefits.

Interview Questions
    • Person comes into the store with a firearm and is going to rob the store. How do you protect the company assets while seeing to your own safety and that of you staff and any customers present?   View Answer
    Yes I was able to negotiate salary. The salary offer that was presented was not much higher than I was currently earning. With commuting costs it would not have been feasible to accept the offer. Company came through with a higher rate of pay and job was accepted.

Director Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Yankee Candle in March 2014.

I received a short phone call from a HR recruiter, who asked basic questions about my background and experience. At the end of that call, another phone interview was scheduled with the vice president for the next morning. The vice president called 15 minutes late of the scheduled time and then essentially made up a story to get off the phone 15 minutes later. It was weird yet obvious that I was be written off (or rather hung up on).

Interview Questions
    • The HR recruiter essentially had me go over my curriculum vitae. The vice president didn't actually ask a question. (I'm not even sure he asked, "How are you?")   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yankee Candle in January 2011.

Had a interview with the store manager . She just asked about my customer service and how would I greet a customer if I worked here. there was a lot of talk about what I liked and didn't like about previous positions . then a second interview with the district manager that basically went over the same thing except she wanted to know if I knew anything about there products

Interview Questions
    • Whats your favorite scent ? and what makes yankee candles different than the rest?   View Answer
    I told them what I expected and they offered me a dollar more than what I wanted

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yankee Candle in November 2013.

I filled out a paper application at the work site and was contacted about a week later for a group interview. Dress was business casual. I arrived along with a group of about 8-10 other people, and the store manager took us to an interview area inside the mall. She explained store policies and procedures and asked each candidate very minimal questions. She informed us that she would contact the chosen candidates within a week. I received a call within a week later to come in for orientation. I had one day of orientation, and then began work a couple of days later. Hiring process was very quick and the interview process was very easy. All store employees were very helpful and friendly.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult and unexpected questions. The store manager simply asked which Yankee Candle scent was or favorite and why.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. The wage was already set.

Worked for Yankee Candle? Contribute to the Community!