Yankee Candle Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2014
Updated Aug 21, 2014

2.3

Full Time Assistant Manager Interview

The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Yankee Candle.

Got a call- hiring manager stated "I don't know why my DM told me to call you- we don't have any positions available." "Do you want me to hold your application?"

Interview Questions
    • Usual STAR interviewing. Felt she was appeasing a boss- with no intention of hiring me.   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Yankee Candle.

I applied online. It took couple weeks for the hiring manager to call me. I missed the call and immediately called back only to respond that I couldn't make it to their interview day. They said they'll call back within the next two days. It had been a week and finally heard back from them. However, I missed the call and called them back only to be informed that they'll call me back to set up an interview. It had been another week. It's literally a phone tag. Especially when I received a voicemail from a different woman for Yankee Candle and gave one last final call to inquire about setting up an interview (and finally talked to the hiring manager) the tone of her voice was...not welcoming. She told me that she would call back next week. When the next week came and went, I decided that this was enough. This made me think twice about taking an interview with them and walked away. Plus, the hiring manager's voice was brusque and unpleasant, especially to a potential interviewee.

Assistant Manager Interview

applied to be an associate ended up a manager

there really wasnt i was already employeed by them so it was like getting a raise

Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Yankee Candle in March 2014.

I received a short phone call from a HR recruiter, who asked basic questions about my background and experience. At the end of that call, another phone interview was scheduled with the vice president for the next morning. The vice president called 15 minutes late of the scheduled time and then essentially made up a story to get off the phone 15 minutes later. It was weird yet obvious that I was be written off (or rather hung up on).

Interview Questions
    • The HR recruiter essentially had me go over my curriculum vitae. The vice president didn't actually ask a question. (I'm not even sure he asked, "How are you?")   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Yankee Candle.

very unprofessional, over phone and then less than 20 minutes in person

Interview Questions

very unprofessional atmosphere, appeared to be high pressure sales.

First Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Yankee Candle.

Applied online. Interviewed with DM in person about a week later. Offered job the next day.

Corporate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Yankee Candle.

Met with six people including CEO and those that would be at same level. All day process. Given tour of facilities. Requires you to "be on" all day-no break from interviewing. Some of the interviewers were excellent asking good, proving questions, others were rather junior and ineffective. To much time spent selling the company.

Interview Questions
    Negotiation was short. Offer was well-presented.

Second Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lowell, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lowell, MA

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yankee Candle.

I went in and applied for the position. I got a call back within a week of applying. I went in for a interview a week later. Everything went well, so they said I would have to meet the DM for the area before offering the job. Had to wait about 2 weeks to meet the DM. After that I was started within 1 1/2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • They asked about my knowledge of candles and about my customer service abilities.   Answer Question
    I wasn't able to negotiate anything about pay. I was told $9.75 was the pay for the position.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yankee Candle in November 2013.

I filled out a paper application at the work site and was contacted about a week later for a group interview. Dress was business casual. I arrived along with a group of about 8-10 other people, and the store manager took us to an interview area inside the mall. She explained store policies and procedures and asked each candidate very minimal questions. She informed us that she would contact the chosen candidates within a week. I received a call within a week later to come in for orientation. I had one day of orientation, and then began work a couple of days later. Hiring process was very quick and the interview process was very easy. All store employees were very helpful and friendly.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult and unexpected questions. The store manager simply asked which Yankee Candle scent was or favorite and why.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. The wage was already set.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Skokie, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Skokie, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Yankee Candle.

Filled out an application, a few days later got an call for a interview with the manager. It was very easy. No hard questions.

Non negotiable

Worked for Yankee Candle? Contribute to the Community!