Yankee Candle

Updated Nov 18, 2014
Updated Nov 18, 2014

2.3

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Yankee Candle.

Was almost a two hour process and asked way too much personal information and discussed his personal life as well. I felt very uncomfortable and asked to end the interview as it was way too long.
    The entire process felt like it took forever almost two months to get hired. He said it was bc of the background check.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked unprofessional questions about my personal life and he told me about his   Answer Question
    Over the phone

Sales Associate At Yankee Candle Interview

Anonymous Employee in Paramus, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Paramus, NJ

I applied in-person – interviewed at Yankee Candle in October 2014.

ist interview was with store manager went extremely well I was asked to come back for a second.I was interviewed by the 2nd asst mgr...she was not nice..ok a know it all...a week went by and no phone call..they didn't even check my references...I called and I was told they offered position to another,,,What went wrong?????? I always wanted to work there and I told them that...waste of my time..I thought if a candidate would call it would sound that they really wanted the job..I am a collector of there candles and even thought of not patronizing them anyore..I was so upset..and hurt

Assistant Manager/Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Millville, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Millville, NJ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yankee Candle in September 2014.

Filled out application and was contacted by the DM about 1-2 weeks after applying online. Had to drive about an hour away for interview with DM. Arrived 10 minutes early and She wasn't there yet. The Store Manager at the location had me fill out a whole new application and a background check paper. She arrived about 20 minutes late. The interview took about 30 minutes. Then was told back ground check would take up to a month to come back. So I waited two weeks and called DM to see how everything was going. And she said they still haven't got anything back. So I called again at 4 weeks and didn't get an answer so I left a message never got a call back. So called again at 5 weeks because the jobs were no longer posted on website and no answer again. So I left another message hoping to get a call back. And nothing I would think with hiring for Management position they would call you back to let you know either way.

Full Time Assistant Manager Interview

The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Yankee Candle.

Got a call- hiring manager stated "I don't know why my DM told me to call you- we don't have any positions available." "Do you want me to hold your application?"

Interview Questions
    • Usual STAR interviewing. Felt she was appeasing a boss- with no intention of hiring me.   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Yankee Candle.

I applied online. It took couple weeks for the hiring manager to call me. I missed the call and immediately called back only to respond that I couldn't make it to their interview day. They said they'll call back within the next two days. It had been a week and finally heard back from them. However, I missed the call and called them back only to be informed that they'll call me back to set up an interview. It had been another week. It's literally a phone tag. Especially when I received a voicemail from a different woman for Yankee Candle and gave one last final call to inquire about setting up an interview (and finally talked to the hiring manager) the tone of her voice was...not welcoming. She told me that she would call back next week. When the next week came and went, I decided that this was enough. This made me think twice about taking an interview with them and walked away. Plus, the hiring manager's voice was brusque and unpleasant, especially to a potential interviewee.

Assistant Manager Interview

applied to be an associate ended up a manager

there really wasnt i was already employeed by them so it was like getting a raise

Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yankee Candle in March 2014.

I received a short phone call from a HR recruiter, who asked basic questions about my background and experience. At the end of that call, another phone interview was scheduled with the vice president for the next morning. The vice president called 15 minutes late of the scheduled time and then essentially made up a story to get off the phone 15 minutes later. It was weird yet obvious that I was be written off (or rather hung up on).

Interview Questions
    • The HR recruiter essentially had me go over my curriculum vitae. The vice president didn't actually ask a question. (I'm not even sure he asked, "How are you?")   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yankee Candle.

very unprofessional, over phone and then less than 20 minutes in person

Interview Questions

very unprofessional atmosphere, appeared to be high pressure sales.

First Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yankee Candle.

Applied online. Interviewed with DM in person about a week later. Offered job the next day.

Corporate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Yankee Candle.

Met with six people including CEO and those that would be at same level. All day process. Given tour of facilities. Requires you to "be on" all day-no break from interviewing. Some of the interviewers were excellent asking good, proving questions, others were rather junior and ineffective. To much time spent selling the company.

Interview Questions
    Negotiation was short. Offer was well-presented.