Yankee Candle

25 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Assistant Manager
Janesville, WI

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Yankee Candle in April 2013.

Interview Details – Position was posted on Craigslist, and on a sign in front of the future store with an e-mail address to the training manager to whom the resume was sent. I sent the resume on a Sunday, and the following Tuesday, I received a phone call from the store manger, who was interested in interviewing me. I was informed in the first interview that I had a strong competitior for the position, which didn't bother me, as I've had years of experience in customer service. I then had a second interview with both the store manager and the district manager.

Interview Question – They asked the standard questions, nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Negotiation Details –

Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Yankee Candle.

Interview Details – The store manager asked about my employment history and educational background. We chatted since we both had the same degree. Then she gave me some paperwork to fill out.

Interview Question – There weren't any   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The position is sales associate and the pay is $8.00 per hour. Here is your paperwork. If I didn't like anything it was my loss.

First Assistant Manager Interview

Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person - interviewed at Yankee Candle in May 2009.

Interview Details – I was hired as a sales associate initally and worked my way up in the company. After filling out the application, an interview is scheduled, if the manager is interested, as second interview is conducted. For management positions this is usually the district manager. Then a background check is completed.

Interview Question – What is your favorite Yankee Candle fragrance? Be honest. If you make something up, we will know. We know our stuff. If you aren't familiar with Yankee, say so. BUT we do love it when we get an enthusiast.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Yankee Candle.

Interview Details – It was a very laid back but straight to the point interview. The manager was alot of fun to talk to. I have been in the store before many times so when I handed in my application I got an interview right away.

Interview Question – Probably be if I wanted to go to college within the next few months. I wasn't really expecting that.   Answer Question

Assistant Manager
Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yankee Candle in October 2009.

Interview Details – Interviewed with the SM and the DM. Both had simple questions mostly centered around customer service. The Back ground check took forever. (1 Month) . Interviewed with the SM first then had to wait for the DM to be availible for the second interview, was called the day of and asked if i could squeeze it in.

Interview Question – Was asked about the worst place I've ever worked and it's hard to anwser honestly and not bad mouth a former employer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – What is offered is what you get take it or leave it. I know this from hiring later on.

Warehouse Interview

South Deerfield, MA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Yankee Candle in April 2012.

Interview Details – On 4/25/2012 I drove from southern CT, to the Yankee Candle Co. Warehouse in S. Deerfield, MA for an appointment for 3:00pm. I was in town around 12:00 noon and waited for 3:00 pm to come around and finally arrived around 2 and filled out their application. After meeting with a rep from HR was then told I would have to come back for a second interview and meet the managers of the department for the position I was told was available. Well, after trying to kill 7 hours in no-where land MASS, (went to see a movie that I miss-judged the time it got over) ended up being 15 minutes late for the second interview. But I am glad that I was or I might have made a big mistake working for Y.C. as the people I was to meet treated me very poorly. Now, I was expecting the outcome of this second meeting because of my tardiness but did not expect such a rude greeting as they did not introduce themselves nor wanted to hear me out for my reasons or the effort I had already put into this application, nor the fact that I was willing to stay in the area for the second meeting without any prior notice that a second interview would be needed. This job interview made me realize how desperate I had become to get a job. Will take care in the future to the job posting for which I apply for. Thank you Yankee Candle.

Interview Question – Why did you choose Yankee Candle?   Answer Question

Fairfax, VA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Yankee Candle in August 2010.

Interview Details – I began the process by submitting a written application in person at the store in which I wanted to work. The manager who took my application was very professional and in fact interviewed me on the spot. The manager asked questions concerning my education and about my expectations regarding my employment at Yankee Candle. I answered politely and honestly and was offered the job by telephone about a week after the interview.

Interview Question – What kind of employment are you seeking?   Answer Question

Second Assistant Manager Interview

Second Assistant Manager
Cincinnati, OH

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Yankee Candle in October 2010.

Interview Details – I was contacted by email to call and set up a face to face interview. I called and set up an interview for the following day. I walked into the retail store and the First Assistant Manager took me outside of the store over to a bench inside the mall and he asked me a bunch of questions like how do I resolve an issue with a sales associate if I know they are doing something wrong, or what type of sales strategy do I think would be used in this type of retail setting, what is my availability as far as nights, weekends and holidays, what is the most important part of being in this type of business, why would I want to work in a Yankee Candle, describe my level of organization.

Interview Question – What type of sales strategy would you use in this type of business?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate that on certain holidays I'd want to travel because I had family that lived far away, so on certain busy retail days, I wouldn't be available. I also wanted a starting hourly wage of between $9 and $11 an hour, which they originally offered $8.50 and I got the $9.

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager
Tulsa, OK

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Yankee Candle in August 2010.

Interview Details – It was unprofessional.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – They pay very poorly and I was over qualified.

Cranston, RI

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Yankee Candle in October 2009.

Interview Details – Interviewed with a really nice manager. Got a great feeling about the company. I ended up deciding to stay with my current employer because the money was better.

Interview Question – How do you feel about your current employer?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Just money, I liked the store manager she was great I even felt bad turning down.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Yankee Candle