Yankee Candle Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Employee in Paramus, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Paramus, NJ) in October 2014.

Interview

ist interview was with store manager went extremely well I was asked to come back for a second.I was interviewed by the 2nd asst mgr...she was not nice..ok a know it all...a week went by and no phone call..they didn't even check my references...I called and I was told they offered position to another,,,What went wrong?????? I always wanted to work there and I told them that...waste of my time..I thought if a candidate would call it would sound that they really wanted the job..I am a collector of there candles and even thought of not patronizing them anyore..I was so upset..and hurt

Sales Associate At Yankee Candle Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Yankee Candle in October 2014.

Interview

I applied in the store and got a call back later that night. I went in the next day to interview. The manager took me into the back room and interviewed me. She asked me basic questions like "what are you going to school for?", "have you ever worked before?" I was only 18 at the time by the way. I was hired on the spot and it was an easy, laid back interview.

Assistant Manager/Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Millville, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Millville, NJ) in September 2014.

Interview

Filled out application and was contacted by the DM about 1-2 weeks after applying online. Had to drive about an hour away for interview with DM. Arrived 10 minutes early and She wasn't there yet. The Store Manager at the location had me fill out a whole new application and a background check paper. She arrived about 20 minutes late. The interview took about 30 minutes. Then was told back ground check would take up to a month to come back. So I waited two weeks and called DM to see how everything was going. And she said they still haven't got anything back. So I called again at 4 weeks and didn't get an answer so I left a message never got a call back. So called again at 5 weeks because the jobs were no longer posted on website and no answer again. So I left another message hoping to get a call back. And nothing I would think with hiring for Management position they would call you back to let you know either way.

Interview Questions

• Basic interview questions.   1 Answer

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Yankee Candle.

Interview

Got a call- hiring manager stated "I don't know why my DM told me to call you- we don't have any positions available." "Do you want me to hold your application?"

Interview Questions

• Usual STAR interviewing. Felt she was appeasing a boss- with no intention of hiring me.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merrillville, IN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Merrillville, IN) in July 2014.

Interview

It was a group interview with the store manager and first assistant. The interview was detailed and very easy. The hiring process was quick and efficient and I started right away with two other people from my interview group. The staff was very nice and helpful. Altogether I think their hiring process was put together nicely.

Interview Questions

• They gave us product and asked us to act out selling it to them   1 Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Yankee Candle.

Interview

I applied online. It took couple weeks for the hiring manager to call me. I missed the call and immediately called back only to respond that I couldn't make it to their interview day. They said they'll call back within the next two days. It had been a week and finally heard back from them. However, I missed the call and called them back only to be informed that they'll call me back to set up an interview. It had been another week. It's literally a phone tag. Especially when I received a voicemail from a different woman for Yankee Candle and gave one last final call to inquire about setting up an interview (and finally talked to the hiring manager) the tone of her voice was...not welcoming. She told me that she would call back next week. When the next week came and went, I decided that this was enough. This made me think twice about taking an interview with them and walked away. Plus, the hiring manager's voice was brusque and unpleasant, especially to a potential interviewee.

Assistant Manager Interview

Interview

applied to be an associate ended up a manager

Negotiation

there really wasnt i was already employeed by them so it was like getting a raise

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yankee Candle in March 2014.

Interview

I received a short phone call from a HR recruiter, who asked basic questions about my background and experience. At the end of that call, another phone interview was scheduled with the vice president for the next morning. The vice president called 15 minutes late of the scheduled time and then essentially made up a story to get off the phone 15 minutes later. It was weird yet obvious that I was be written off (or rather hung up on).

Interview Questions

• The HR recruiter essentially had me go over my curriculum vitae. The vice president didn't actually ask a question. (I'm not even sure he asked, "How are you?")   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yankee Candle in February 2014.

Interview

Very relaxed! Casual. Friendly upbeat did a really good job at selling the company and its core values. Two way interview. Left plenty of room to ask what any questions I may have had.

Interview Questions

• How do I prioritize my day Give me an example of when you had a difficult customer service situation and what I did to resolve it? What motivates me? Tell me about any HR issues you have had to deal with in the past and what was the outcome? Describe your management still. Why do you think you would be a good fit for Yankee Candle.   Answer Question

Corporate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Yankee Candle.

Interview

Met with six people including CEO and those that would be at same level. All day process. Given tour of facilities. Requires you to "be on" all day-no break from interviewing. Some of the interviewers were excellent asking good, proving questions, others were rather junior and ineffective. To much time spent selling the company.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiation was short. Offer was well-presented.