Yankee Candle

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Second Assistant Manager

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Yankee Candle in July 2013.

Interview Details – Very good interview. Lots of good questions and it wasn't nerve racking. I sat down and we began to talk abot the product and what the job would entail. I sat there for about an hour and laughed about everything. I would do it over again and the people I work with are great.

Interview Question – What do you know about the company?   Answer Question

Lowell, MA

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yankee Candle.

Interview Details – I went in and applied for the position. I got a call back within a week of applying. I went in for a interview a week later. Everything went well, so they said I would have to meet the DM for the area before offering the job. Had to wait about 2 weeks to meet the DM. After that I was started within 1 1/2 weeks.

Interview Question – They asked about my knowledge of candles and about my customer service abilities.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I wasn't able to negotiate anything about pay. I was told $9.75 was the pay for the position.

Cincinnati, OH

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Yankee Candle in October 2010.

Interview Details – I was contacted by email to call and set up a face to face interview. I called and set up an interview for the following day. I walked into the retail store and the First Assistant Manager took me outside of the store over to a bench inside the mall and he asked me a bunch of questions like how do I resolve an issue with a sales associate if I know they are doing something wrong, or what type of sales strategy do I think would be used in this type of retail setting, what is my availability as far as nights, weekends and holidays, what is the most important part of being in this type of business, why would I want to work in a Yankee Candle, describe my level of organization.

Interview Question – What type of sales strategy would you use in this type of business?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate that on certain holidays I'd want to travel because I had family that lived far away, so on certain busy retail days, I wouldn't be available. I also wanted a starting hourly wage of between $9 and $11 an hour, which they originally offered $8.50 and I got the $9.

Second Assistant Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Yankee Candle in February 2012.

Interview Details – Overall the interview process was one of the best I have had. The General Manager of the store at that time was pleasant and very focused on improving her staff. The VSM I interviewed with was also very concerned with improving the store. However, be careful with what you agree to in the interview. The job description they give is not completley correct. They also tell you there is a lot of room for advancement. In our entire district, I have seen one person advance.

Interview Question – How would you provide proper coaching methods to improve sales associates?   Answer Question

Second Assistant Manager

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Yankee Candle in September 2011.

Interview Details – Generally non descript interview process. I applied online for a different position/location but the availability changed and I interviewed at a new location. Had a brief phone interview then an in person 1:1 interview at the store. Associates & management staff were very professional & polite and laid out everything needed to know about the position.

Interview Questions

Worked for Yankee Candle? Contribute to the Community!